Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Clankenbeard said:
My comic was called Mobius Strip and each 650x1280 four pane comic strip was drawn physically twisted so that you could only really see the first panel and 50% of the second. The remaining two panes faced away from the viewer. This saves incredibly on drawing time and writing as the viewer is left to concoct their own infinitely funny punchline from my setups. It's genius! There's only a couch and two gamers if you want there to be.

Wow. I wish I wasn't such a liar.
I'd read that comic. It'd be the funniest comic ever, and there'd be no way to explain how funny it was to someone, unless they saw it themselves.

aeroz said:
now that I think about it, saying both gamers and a couch, and game designer model are looked down upon seems abit counter to what they said before. They wanted us to do comics that appeal to gamers and gaming, but not do a comic about gamers or gaming. The most logical way to appeal to the target audience is to write about them or the people that interest them. It is entirely reasonable to do those formats considering the already mentioned criteria. Plus just because its something that follows a trend doesn't mean its the same. Just the tone of the humor and minor quirks of the characters can lead to radically different stories. Heck Movie Bob recently did an article about it.
Eh, they didn't say "don't do it", but it's a tried and true comic formula, and they're looking for something new and different. There are TONS of comics out there that water down to "two gamer guys on a couch." What they want is something that appeals to their gaming audience but hasn't already been done a hundred times before.

Io-T

Feb 26, 2010
Well I don't know if I should be relieved or keep up my previous statements of not having a chance since my entry was about gaming and featured a single female gamer (yes we exist).

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
Steagony said:
aeroz said:
now that I think about it, saying both gamers and a couch, and game designer model are looked down upon seems abit counter to what they said before. They wanted us to do comics that appeal to gamers and gaming, but not do a comic about gamers or gaming. The most logical way to appeal to the target audience is to write about them or the people that interest them. It is entirely reasonable to do those formats considering the already mentioned criteria. Plus just because its something that follows a trend doesn't mean its the same. Just the tone of the humor and minor quirks of the characters can lead to radically different stories. Heck Movie Bob recently did an article about it.
You can sugar-coat it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you're A ROBOT, YOU'RE A SHEEP.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I cant take it anymore!!! Give me the contract or the SheepBot gets it.
aeroz said:
By the way the Sheepbot would be a perfect sex toy to a Japanese Scotsman

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Fuzzy_Pickles said:
Everyone loves ol' Johnny M...
There was a point way back in like page 9 of this thread where I was told I won it by a Jawa for a diagram of the formatting rules I posted. I now bow down and surrender the mantle to you sir. I hereby pledge my alliegence and I'll throw in the alliegence of two other forum trolls of your choosing. Burnt Toast even made it into the comic.

...Awwww. I used cookie cutter cel shading.

Vatman

Feb 21, 2010
*stares with dead expression at the screen.* I think I may have accidentally submitted a version of my logo with the size 400x400. The agony!!!

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
I just figured out...this thread IS the webcomic and we are all guys in couches!Stares at people looking at the other side of the screen...

Axzarious

Feb 18, 2010
aeroz said:

Link please? This may be interesting.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
if you meant the movie bob article, I was refering to this one
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7190-Trope-a-Dope

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
Well, its getting near to the 8th now...
anyone else feel about as jittery as they did rolling into the 1st? :S

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
nah I think this time anxiety is gone and I've shifted to pessimist mode. Beating out 345 competitors, just doesn't seem too likely. So trying to keep from getting my hopes up and being happy by the fact I actually finished and submitted a comic for publication, something not many can claim.

Though if not accepted we talked and decided to go with something different. I had an idea for a horror story about decending deeper into hellish ruins lined with creatures that, no matter how many times they kill you, you keep coming back. And each time you do that little voice in the back of your head gets just a tiny bit louder.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Hm, I happen to have submitted a comic with two guys and a couch... shame on me.
the better part is, that the two guys are actually me and the co-author, videogames are not the focus and the only strip with the couch makes fun of that particular cliche.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I don't know about everyone else but each time I hear some news from the contest judges and read some of the stuff posted here I feel better about my chances.

"My webcomic is the webcomic that will break through the heavens"
"Just who the hell do you think I am"
Bow wow FIGHT the POWAW...

Yeah I'm feeling that good.

folmerkelly

Feb 24, 2010
All I know is this thread has given me more entertainment than 345 webcomics ever could. The damn thing goes from livejournal moping to 4chan jokes to deviantart on crack every five minutes.

Remy Cambridge

Feb 8, 2010
I'm about 2 days away from saying, "Ah forget it. Why don't I just find a spot on the forums to post away with this gamer comic I started? I feel like doing it anyway, and the drawing is good creative exercise."

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
RetroRobot said:
Well, its getting near to the 8th now...
anyone else feel about as jittery as they did rolling into the 1st? :S

Sorta, I'm hopeful to at least make it into the top 10. Might actually be the next best thing to winning when it comes to showing off your work elsewhere.