Sep 29, 2005
Infamous 2 Review

Come on baby, light my fire.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Seriously a GOTY contender for me.

Playing good didn't make me feel weaker than Evil, unlike in inFamous 1. Plus the Blast Shard Sense makes getting a Plat much easier for trophy addicts like me.

And that Cole & Zeke scene you mentioned...yeah...that was fantastic.

My biggest gripe is that the User Generated Content is really confusing to make. The toolset needs a tutorial, for sure.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
personally, i loved this game. Although i was a good guy. But i am currently playing through the first infamous as a jerk and then doing the same on infamous 2. Just cos i can. You mention the electric rockets you can use. Does anyone else feel that they were cheated because it wasn't in from the start, despite the fact he's supposed to have all the powers from the first game again?

Also, i loved the ice powers. I won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't played it (GO AND BUY IT!!!) but they come in real useful. Going to have to try the other ones next time.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I thought the story was rather forgettable but the ending was great. Still, it was probably one of the best games I've played this year and I really like how they turned Zeke from the annoying sidekick to an actually pretty likeable sidekick.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Andrew_Mac said:
personally, i loved this game. Although i was a good guy. But i am currently playing through the first infamous as a jerk and then doing the same on infamous 2. Just cos i can. You mention the electric rockets you can use. Does anyone else feel that they were cheated because it wasn't in from the start, despite the fact he's supposed to have all the powers from the first game again?

Also, i loved the ice powers. I won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't played it (GO AND BUY IT!!!) but they come in real useful. Going to have to try the other ones next time.
Freeze Rocket >>>>> All for combat

Ice Launch >>>>>>>>>> All for practicality and shard hunters

Still not done evil...yet.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:

Every time i launch with this thing, i feel like a god! Really useful for getting around the place, and for getting on the tramlines from the floor.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The mini-teleport you get from Nix is pretty damn awesome to get around though. Definitely one of my favorite powers.

Greg

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Ok, about the game title. I know it spells out Infamous, but doesn't the capital F in the middle of "inFamous" seperate between the 2 words "Famous" and "Infamous"? I'm sure they were trying to point out the moral choice system in the game that way. And it would look weird if they put in parentheses in "in" like this: (in)famous. I'm just saying that they must have made it that way for a reason. Anyways, the game looks awesome and Zeke's still a douche. :D

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The mini-teleport you get from Nix is pretty damn awesome to get around though. Definitely one of my favorite powers.

Greg
OHHH

I gotta play Evil soon, then. Sounds fantastic.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Every time i launch with this thing, i feel like a god! Really useful for getting around the place, and for getting on the tramlines from the floor.
Ice launch is an awesome power, once I got it I never switched it out for anything.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I thought it was good, but still falling short of greatness. The missions don't feel imaginative enough and can get a bit tedious later on.

Loved the new actor playing Cole though, some great voice work - it felt really nuanced at times. The writing was better too, Cole felt more like the character should be (he's a bit of a loser in his mid-20s with super powers, he should behave as such - he seemed too weathered before, even from the beginning of the first game) and definitely had a sense of humour about himself that was lacking in the first.

The morality system was better, although I felt the "ultimate choice" was constrained by it. When the options were being discussed by the characters, it actually felt pretty grey to me, until they slapped the good/bad tags in front of you (literally).

Greg Tito said:

Greg
Gah, I was hoping to get that from Kuo considering she does it too, but nada.

Dec 14, 2009
It's a great game, and like you said, the only thing really keeping it back is the narrative, mechanically, the game is sound.

Also, I <3 Ice Launch. Combined with Static Lhrust, it makes getting around so much more fun.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

I've played through both Good and Evil, And I have to say that the Good path is the way to go. The Evil powers just felt very flat to me, and the powers you receive from Nix aren't that much to write home about neither.

Where as the Good path gives you the Magnum Bolt, the Bolt Stream, the Ice Launch (FUCKING AWESOME), and the ability to recharge some of your energy after hitting an enemy with any Bolt attack.

However, the final mission as Evil Cole was pretty Goddamn sweet!

I do miss the ability to automatically recharge as you're skimming along power lines.

ColdBlooded

Feb 8, 2011
Really? i kind of liked the story in infamous cause of 2 elements:

1. The knowledge of the beast's proximity added tension, like you said.

2. There were decent character arcs: Good Cole had to think harder about certain decisions and responsibilities and began to appreciate zeke and forgive him, zeke became more active in helping Cole in hopes of repairing their friendship (Although his technical knowledge skyrocketed in relation to the first game). Together the two had a kind of drinking buddies relationship that was kind of broken in the end of the last game and show signs of being repaired in this game. Kuo after being traumitized from experimentation and initially scared about her new powers began to relax and come to terms with them and it did not alter her philosophy of helping the citizens of New Marais. The final decision, while I understand the shock-value in it (you should know what I'm talking about if you play it), more demonstrated that it was another burden on her having powers and this time she couldn't take it.

Oh, also ICE POWERS RULE!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I've played through both Good and Evil, And I have to say that the Good path is the way to go. The Evil powers just felt very flat to me, and the powers you receive from Nix aren't that much to write home about neither.

Where as the Good path gives you the Magnum Bolt, the Bolt Stream, the Ice Launch (FUCKING AWESOME), and the ability to recharge some of your energy after hitting an enemy with any Bolt attack.

However, the final mission as Evil Cole was pretty Goddamn sweet!

I do miss the ability to automatically recharge as you're skimming along power lines.
Evil also gets EXP from killing civvies. So...that's a big point in it's favor, though.

I kinda miss not having infinite-basic-attack, though. Electricity is required for everything but a few R2 attacks, like KPulse and Frost Shield.

Also, does evil get a fire shield?

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Ice launch is an awesome power, once I got it I never switched it out for anything.
I did. gotta throw a few cars at shit. Takes down a helicopter instantly.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Andrew_Mac said:

AH HA, COMIC BOOK CONTINUALALITY WILL RAPE YOU WITH THE FACT THAT HE LOST SEVERAL POWERS WHEN FLOATING IN THE WATER IN THE BEGGING OF THE GAME!! No, I'm joking, but yeah, you lose your powers at the very beginning of the game.... AND WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING READING THIS, GO BUY THIS GAME, IT FUCKING RULES MAN!

May 5, 2010
I don't know, I thought the story was pretty damn awesome.

Anyone else really love that scene where it's just Cole and Zeke sitting around watching a movie?

I don't know why it worked so well, but it did. It really did.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Andrew_Mac said:
AlternatePFG said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I did. gotta throw a few cars at shit. Takes down a helicopter instantly.
Oh my god! Why didn't I think of that?! It's such a pain downing helicopters before you get the missiles. Cars + helicoptors = awesome.

Greg

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Evil also gets EXP from killing civvies. So...that's a big point in it's favor, though.

I kinda miss not having infinite-basic-attack, though. Electricity is required for everything but a few R2 attacks, like KPulse and Frost Shield.

Also, does evil get a fire shield?
Yeah, but killing civvies gets really boring really quick.

And no, there's no Ice Shield equivalent for Evil Cole, but I never acually used the Ice Shield myself. For me it was the fact that Evil Cole didn't have the Ice Launch; I was seriously fucking addicted to launching myself into the air with glee.

But I can say that after you've played both Good and Evil paths, the game opens up every power regardless of the state of karma you happen to be. So even if you're pure evil you can still buy ice powers.