Infamous 2 Review

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Also, one of the things that this game seriously improved over the first is that Cole doesn't handle like a tank anymore. Seriously, hated how slowly he moved when not climbing buildings or sliding around on rails like in the first game.

Joshica Huracane

Feb 21, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Andrew_Mac said:
AlternatePFG said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ice Launch >>>>>>>>>> All for practicality and shard hunters

Every time i launch with this thing, i feel like a god! Really useful for getting around the place, and for getting on the tramlines from the floor.
Ice launch is an awesome power, once I got it I never switched it out for anything.
I did. gotta throw a few cars at shit. Takes down a helicopter instantly.
Oh my god! Why didn't I think of that?! It's such a pain downing helicopters before you get the missiles. Cars + helicoptors = awesome.

Greg
Well, theres that, and theres the blast power. Send their missiles back at them. Theres even a nice little trophy for it. =) Also, it seems to work better than sending missiles back at normal enemies. They home straight back on the chopper, bam, helicopter fight over.

Roberto416

Mar 30, 2011
I threw cars at EVERYTHING. Those mini (understatement) bosses. Helicopters (especially). Those guys in their ice towers. Heck, I threw medical supplies at enemies because they are indestructible.

One of the best ways to conserve energy IMO.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Saltyk said:
You're commenting a lot on this thread. Did you really enjoy the game? Or do you just enjoy talking to the people? Or both?

Anyway, the name, Firebird Strike, just sounds awesome. Makes me think of a Phoenix. If its anywhere near as fluid using it in travel as Ice Launch, it might just be a contender for favorite power.
I guess I was just psyched about this game and was glad that others here share my opinion.

Greg

steriletiger

Jun 16, 2011
Definitely agree with this review. The game is such a large improvement from the first one.

To be honest I think SuckerPunch made a great decision in allowing the first one to be one of the Welcome Back games from PSN. I originally bought the 1st one when it came out but eventually traded it in. Downloading it for free allowed me to remember how fun it was and then the next week the sequel came out. Very clever indeed. If not for that I may not have picked it up as quickly as I did.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
loving this game loved the first one 2 allready part way through a 2nd playthrough

am I allowed to give away the code for the uncharted 3 multiplayer beta trail on here? if so anyone let me know if you want it I dont.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I really liked the first game, so I bought this one day 1 without looking back. Deffinitely deserves it. There aren't many games that have me play it after finished, and more importantly, replay it from scratch. Infamous 1 and Fallout 3-NV are the only games in a few years that I played again, and this is the next one. Î finished my good playthrough continue from g1, and immediatly started the evil playthrough continue ;>.

I'm not a trophy hunter at all (AC2 is the only game I have platinum on, and I have like 50 ps3 games), but I'll definitelly platinum this one.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
wait we have captcha ADS now? .....

Anyway, a game that allows me to throw cars around gets an automatic thumbs up.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
....yeah, I'm getting this. I still have to plat the first one though, and it's all minor trophies for me on that one.

Seriously though, it's like Assassin's Creed for me in that all of the little sidequests you can do drags me in and addicts me.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Andrew_Mac said:
Also, does anyone know if i could choose the fire abilities on a good run through and vice versa?
You can get the powers but can't use them since they're linked to karma. Kind of pissed me off when I was going through being "evil" but wanted ice powers. Had to change tack and couldn't use any of the ice powers till right near the end.

But god damn...
every part from the Beast entering New Marais to the ending is fantastic

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Stranger of Sorts said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Also, does anyone know if i could choose the fire abilities on a good run through and vice versa?
You can get the powers but can't use them since they're linked to karma. Kind of pissed me off when I was going through being "evil" but wanted ice powers. Had to change tack and couldn't use any of the ice powers till right near the end.

But god damn...
every part from the Beast entering New Marais to the ending is fantastic
The shit? Whats the point in that?! Good thing i'm doing an evil run through now...

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Has anyone else seen the film title easter eggs? Around the park in the first area, there's loads of cinemas with film titles that are games titles. Check it out if you don't believe me.

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
Has anyone else seen the film title easter eggs? Around the park in the first area, there's loads of cinemas with film titles that are games titles. Check it out if you don't believe me.
Didn't bother to look for them but I did notice one. I guess if you look for them it wasn't very hard to miss which games they meant :p

Anyway I like both inFamous games. Sony got me to spend money with their welcome back package. Always wanted to play infamous and then it was on to number 2. The morality was a little more grey which I liked. Hated the ending though. Not because it wasn't awesome (hell I enjoyed it) but the twist it put on the story, it just got me :'(

One thing I didn't like was the Amp. I just couldn't help not taking the oversized tuning fork seriously. What I loved from Infamous 1 was the fact you got round without weapons. I always imagined it would be cool to have cool hand-to-hand an enemy, grab him and launch him at some others using his blast technique. Maybe an actual combo systeem would've grabbed my attention more if they were going for a more melee based direction.

In the end I couldnt help but feel the Evil Side of the Infamous storyline (both games) didn't do it for me. Despite it being great for diversity and replay value, it never reallyy grabbed me till the end of Infamous 2.

For a game that calls itself Infamous I would've thought more thought would've gone into the evil side of things but to me the Good Side was better designed. Though Evil Side mission we're a lot more enjoyable then good ones.

In part 2 I also noticed less diversive enemies. I would have liked to see more type of conduits.

That being said, I'd like to see this IP last a little longer. Both games did get me hooked on the world.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Andrew_Mac said:
Yep. My favorite: Call of Booty.

Greg

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Andrew_Mac said:
Yep. My favorite: Call of Booty.

Greg
I personally liked the electronics shop called Red Ring Electronics.

At least I think it was an easter egg.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Just beat the game as good Cole. I really want to replay the game as evil but I can't bring myself to be a dick lol.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Still need to do an evil playthrough but i loved this game. Ice launch is an extremely cool power but the tether is much more effective. Using the tether and static glide to never touch the ground is awesome, but i wish you could use all the R2 powers together. Progression is a little weird. I got my ass kicked in the beginning because the game took away powers i relied on in the first and by the time i got the rocket i was already using ice grenade for everything. The ice conduits are awesome to fight, soundtrack is perfect and the game has some truly heroic moments. Great ending too, comic cut scenes are still awesome. I love the graphic novel scene about bertrand and why he does what he does. Still the mission design lacks imagination, more bugs than the first, and melee while greatly improved isn't where it could be. The game reaches for the stars and has more flaws than the first because of it, but it is a better game.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I have been an xbox fanboy for years - but this game makes me want a PS3...

What's the point of console exclusives? Surely they'd just make more money selling it to everyone?