Inferior technologies that just work better than the new stuff

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Me Og. Me like use rocks to start fire. Wife says me should use sticks. Me think she crazy. Rocks always work for Og.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Signa said:
I've been favoring my GBA SP over my DS Lite for the last year, so there's that.
Despite having a 3DS, I've played more DS and GBA games than modern titles...I too have a GBA-SP and have used that more often than the more modern console.

---

I strongly prefer using physical keys instead of using a touch-screen, key-thing. I think a part of this is my growing up in an environment where touching the TV was STRONGLY discouraged. Another part of this comes from a combination of perceived input lag, finger-prints on my screen and, just the simple fact that pressing down a button is a lot easier to do than poking or, swiping a screen for me. This is part of why I'm not too keen on the Vita: 2 freaking touch-pads?! What is this madness!? At least the Wii U and DS family lets me use a stylus (unlike every single smart phone, who use the least accurate types of stylus imaginable). \

I love playing on my Wii U. I love playing on my PS3. The problem I have with those consoles though is that I can't just put a game disc into the console and play the game within the same minute. My NES, SNES and, N64 can have me engaged in gameplay within seconds from putting the cart into the box and, switching on the console.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Reiper said:
I recently "upgraded" to a samsung galaxy S4 and I really dislike it. Bunch of bloatware apps I dont want, making calls is irksome as hell. With my old motorola RAZR, I could make 1 handed calls with ease, even while driving. My new phone is like a big brick in my hand, clunky and slow. Also, screw touchscreens, they are the worst thing ever invented. Unresponsive, unsatisfying to press and worst of all, much slower for typing. On a blackberry keyboard I could type incredibly quickly. With the new touch screen I feel like some kind of invalid.

Having the internet can be nice, but honestly, with the amount I use it, I just want my RAZR or even my old blackberry back
That's why you go off the beaten path instead of just buying whatever's popular at the moment. :)
I've always hated typing on the number pad on phones. Smartscreen typing is even worse.
So I got a HTC "Z"(sadly discontinued at this point) instead:
Still liked my old Nokia better though:

As for me, I'm going to go with... Games. Or just most media these days, really. I miss when you could simply pop a cd into the computer, install, enter a cd-key once and then never have to face any other "security" hassles or outages for that game again.
I got a music cd once. Shortly after, my music player worked. So then I tried to play it on the computer instead. Except not, for this particular music system has a security measure in place to prevent people from tampering and copying the files. Which also served to prevent me from listening to it on the computer. At least for as far as I bothered trying to make it work.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
KingsGambit said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Used to have a few mobile phones that were touchscreen only, for some reason they never felt as easy to use as having a keyboard (Doesn't nescecarely have to be a full blown keyboard, those what older cell phones had work fine for me). Responce time felt off, let alone the touchscreen not always properly functioning. To be fair, the latter might be a factory defect (or whatever it's called).
It could've been an older handset perhaps with a worse OS. Maybe it was resistive rather than a capacitive screen, the thing iPhone did first and one of the reasons for it's success. Capacitive screens are much more responsive and accurate (at the expense of being able to use anything with which to press it). An off response time is bound to put you off it, I empathise since I've owned those too.

I can also agree on what I think your point is. I used to own the Nokia 7110 [http://www.edwardlamb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dsc_41611.jpg], to this day one of the best handsets I've ever owned. With the wheel and buttons it was very intuitive to use. I could in fact use one hand, behind my back to start, write and send a text message without a single spelling error to the exact person in my contact list. I can't do that on my smartphone.
I still use a Samsung GT e2550. Kept it as a reserve in case of during the time I owned a later model Samsung, which was completely touchscreen (which was probably resistive). It lasted me for a year, which can be considered ok for it's price. After it I went back to the GT e 2550. It's sturdy, allows for mp3 files to be used as ringtone and it still serves me really, really well.

KingsGambit said:
0takuMetalhead said:
I quiet like Windows 8, not so much for the new start menu (it burns my eyes out somewhat and it's stupidly clunky). My now year old laptop runs on 8, it boots up fast (still not really used to it), it runs classic games better than W7 (again, to be fair, your mileage may vary) and I personally don't miss the start menu at all, although it's something I needed to gett used to at first.

I agree though, forcing the Metro interface is sheer stupidity but easily avoided if you mainly use the desktop portion of W8. I can't comment on how W8 handles touchscreens.
Windows 8 is a very good OS and performs significantly better than Windows 7 for one main reason. They got rid of Aero which, while very pretty (I *loved* the transparency effects and still miss them. They looked so much better than the flat colours of W8), used 10-15% of system resources. It was actually the reason Vista was so hated...out of the box, on *precisely* the same PC hardware, it performed 10-15% slower than XP did. Upgrading to Vista from XP guaranteed a performance loss on the same hardware.

There's nothing wrong with the Metro interface, which is the ecosystem for all the touch-friendly apps. On a tablet or touchscreen, Metro is fine. It looks good, works well, is intuitive and functional. The problem was cramming it into the desktop OS and forcing KB/Mouse users without touchscreens to use it.

I got it around it from Day 1 thanks to Start8 from Stardock. I have a fully functional Windows 7 style start menu, I boot straight to desktop (Windows 8.1 now has this option officially), disabled all the hot-corner/gesture bollocks and never have to see the Metro interface unless I wish to. I've never had issues with any game I've tried.
To be fair, I can see the Metro interface working like it should on touchscreen devices, but when you are able to use a mouse it's rather clunky (as I've said before, although I oculd've worded it a bit diffirently). As for the removal of Aero, It's a matter of looks or performance, which I personally prefer the latter. Transparency is still there on the task bar, which is fine enough for me. I do have to admit, I kinda miss 7 but I doubt I would be going back.

As for gaming, the fact that I have Total Annihilation, Carmageddon 1 and 2, System Shock and the Sierra release of the HL anthology running on it without issues is saying alot since half of them didn't ran, or ran badly on my old laptop, which ran 7.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
I've got a cassette player in my car that can easily house a cassette adapter so that I can listen to all my music on my iPod.

I could easily get something that could connect wirelessly via bluetooth, but I feel that it's simple to just connect via the headphone jack than needlessly trying to connect via bluetooth, turning on the system, checking that the station works, etc.
I think my cassette player stopped working when I used one of those adapters. There was a warning on the back of it about not leaving it exposed to heat for long and I guess leaving it in the player on a hot day must have messed some things up because now nothing works. It was great for awhile though, not having to buy a whole system just to use auxiliary.

OT: Can't beat old consoles when it comes to longevity. My n64 took some beatings and was still going strong even when I sold it so many years later. Whereas I had two xboxes break down on me within a year.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
this isn't wuite the same thing...but reading off a scren is seriously inferior to print, not to mention you would NOT want to read on your ipad before going to sleep

all that said I'm probably cheating here because I have e-reader and e-ink is almost indestinguishable from print...but the same principle applies
Good God yes, I love my Kindle, but if it weren't for e-ink I'd have never gone digital. I have no problem reading short bursts on a display, but I HATE reading full books.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Good God yes, I love my Kindle, but if it weren't for e-ink I'd have never gone digital. I have no problem reading short bursts on a display, but I HATE reading full books.
I'm glad I went digital even if only for the amount of books I couldn't get otherwise, I'm not even talking obscure books, just anything other than bester seller fodder and fantasy (theres only one new bookshop in my area now...the secondhand bookstore actually feels like it has more interesting stuff)

the only time I miss physical books are those paperbacks with the cheesy 80's covers (I bought a bunch the other day actually)

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Bring back Cartridges!

Yes, they are more expensive and held less memory than CDs but they had NO LOAD TIMES!

Nowadays, I'm pretty sure you can get cartridges that hold more than Blu-Ray disks, are more compact and probably a lot cheaper to produce. With the added benefit of having no load times they are superior.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dish washers. My new dish washer...it isn't bad but it does have some kinks. My grandmother's old one still works like a charm.

Also old vacuums seem to have a tenancy to work just fine in modern day, while a lot of new ones are pretty gimmicky.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
I'm glad I went digital even if only for the amount of books I couldn't get otherwise, I'm not even talking obscure books, just anything other than bester seller fodder and fantasy (theres only one new bookshop in my area now...the secondhand bookstore actually feels like it has more interesting stuff)

the only time I miss physical books are those paperbacks with the cheesy 80's covers (I bought a bunch the other day actually)
I like the convenience, really. The problem is, a lot of the books I read I could get elsewhere. And for comparable prices. But it's like have an MP3 player for books.

I occasionally browse stuff with my tablet, and lament how gorgeous some of the covers are. It usually passes, though.

small

Aug 5, 2014
Thats an easy one. old school plain soaps, etc rather than antibacterial absolutely everything

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Vicarious Reality said:
vun said:
GundamSentinel said:
Actually not real; pencils would create graphite pieces/dust flying around, potentially getting into places where it shouldn't be. .
You mean like human dust? How is it worse than misc dust and spit flyin around?
Graphite dust is conductive.
And then there's also the fact that having less dust is never a bad thing on a spacecraft.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Most mechanical stuff - it was simply built more robust and durable before and as a result it tends to be more reliable and last vastly longer. Home appliances also often fit right in here.

Earbuds - As it stands at the moment, if I want anything resembling quality sound, I have to take massive headphones or one of those noise cancelling shits that go right into my brain. All I want is a pair of plain black Sony earbuds. They were cheap, durable and had solid sound quality. Sadly, they aren't being manufactured anymore.

In general, I think laws should be passed against planned obsolescence...

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Every OS prior to Windows 8 and 8.1... I even miss Vista. My current laptop has trouble running basically EVERY game that isn't a recent low-end release. It has insane issues with compatibility. As soon as I can I'm going to test installing windows 7 on here. Hopefully the hardware will be supported...

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
Feraswondervahnn said:
Phones because of the standard battery life nowadays. I tend to spend a lot of time up at a friend's place with a fair few people. They all own smartphones, and all have to bring their charger with them, and charge them at least once per night. I own an old Sony Ericsson, the battery lasts at least a week. The friend who owns the place owns an old Sony Ericsson as well, also barely has to charge it, and ends up spending more on electric charging these guys phones than he can afford. These people then bring their chargers anyway and plug them in in other rooms of the house so he doesn't notice straight away.
How does your friend know how much charging costs? If your friends use his washing machine, TV, freezer, additional heating (especially if it's electrical), an electric oven, cooking plates, microwave, air conditioning or... well, pretty much ANYTHING, it would make a more noticeable impact on his electrical bill. Anything that constantly produces heat or cold, or uses a strong motor needs a lot of energy. Electronics without this take comparably little.

I don't know about any Sony Ericsson, but charging an iPhone 5 was calculated to cost 0.41$ per YEAR, and the Samsung Galaxy S3 takes 0.53$. That makes about a sixth of a cent for a whole day's charge. The additional light, heating and water your buddies take cost tons more than that.

But having been traveling for just 2 days, it's true that new phones really aren't reliable for that. I have two batteries for mine and no chance to charge them on the way, and they were both empty when I needed them most. My old phone survived 5 days at the very least.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
shootthebandit said:
Squilookle said:
In all seriousness though- Manual Cars. More control, and exactly the amount of torque and power I need whenever I need it. Literally the only time it's better to have an automatic is in very slow start-stop traffic. At all other times, a manual is better.
Thankfully in the UK autos are extremely uncommon and 90% of cars have a proper manual gearbox that isnt needlessly complicated. I tried driving an auto and it confused the hell out of me. If youve only driven a manual then autos are really weird. You have no sense of control. I was in an auto with a friend driving and he stomped on the brake with his left foot thinking it was the clutch

I think in america the reverse is true and americans see a 3rd pedal and a gearstick and panic. Ive heard the joke about a manual being an anti theft device in america
I moved from the UK to Aus and got a rental for a day trip, predictably auto as most seem to be out here and it took me a little while to get the hang of it (including trying to left foot brake, getting through to my left foot that it was entirely unneeded was a lengthy battle).

Worst bit was though we were on the motorway in a 110km/h (km/h - also something else to get used to, along with the crazy undertaking) stuck behind a guy doing 70km/h so I waited for my chance to get out and around them, saw a gap, went for it, put my foot down and...nothing.

With a real gearbox I could've dropped a cog and shot out, stupid bloody auto did nothing and I had to pull in again and wait for a large enough gap to be able to pull out and slowly pick up speed to overtake when the car thought it was right to speed up.

Haven't driven again since, don't much want to...except the couple of times my girlfriends driven, that's just weird after being in the other side for so long, just too god damn close to the kerb, feels like she's going to shred a tyre on it any second (even though the logical part of my brain know's she's not, hell she's driven for longer and has a cleaner record than me, but hell do I cringe most of the journey).

Thank the Greeks for trains!

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
Jandau said:
All I want is a pair of plain black Sony earbuds. They were cheap, durable and had solid sound quality. Sadly, they aren't being manufactured anymore.
They discontinued the 818s?!?! I'm glad I bought two last time, and still have a back-up.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
vun said:
If they work better they wouldn't be inferior, would they?
Damn it, I wanted to say that!

I'm with Barney Stinson on this one. New is always better!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Stabinbac said:
Jandau said:
All I want is a pair of plain black Sony earbuds. They were cheap, durable and had solid sound quality. Sadly, they aren't being manufactured anymore.
They discontinued the 818s?!?! I'm glad I bought two last time, and still have a back-up.
I'm guessing they did, as they started vanishing from stores a few years ago and roughly a year ago I couldn't find them anywhere. There were a number of 818 models, and the differences were minimal. Best earbuds ever. Rest in peace... :(