Infinity Blade Sales Surpass $10 Million

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Infinity Blade Sales Surpass $10 Million

In just six months, Infinity Blade has made more money than many major console releases.

ChAIR Entertainment's Infinity Blade turned out to be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8569-Review-Infinity-Blade>one of biggest surprises of the year for iOS gamers. Unsurprisingly, the game's proven to be incredibly popular, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106085-Update-Epics-Infinity-Blade-Is-the-Fastest-Grossing-App-Ever>quickly becoming one of the fastest-selling titles in the App Store and raking in a ton of money for both ChAIR Entertainment and Epic Games. How much money? Over $10 million in the first six months of release.

Within the first six months of the game's launch, it's grossed more money than many console titles, and not just from sales, either. Approximately a third of the revenue comes from in-game purchases of gold, which allows players to buy new equipment that much faster. Reportedly, these purchases have made it possible for the two major updates to be free for players.

According to Mark Rein, vice president and co-founder of Epic Games, "Infinity Blade's success proves that triple-A gaming experiences can be hugely successful on iOS and that there is a valuable, pent up demand for premium content like this."

$10 million in sales for an App that costs $5.99 is pretty darn impressive. ChAIR Entertainment and Epic have every right to be thrilled with this news.

Source: Joystiq

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
martintox said:
So,does this mean that people are gonna stop buying Halo?
No,probably not. I should stop dreaming.

But that's pretty cool,I bought Infinity Blade myself and thought it was awesome.
And why should it stop them buying Halo?
How about people that like Infinity Blade can buy that and people that like Halo can buy Halo everyone's happy.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mr.K. said:
And angry birds made over 70 mil, now do the math :)
Right, but Infinity Blade was made with a core gamer audience in mind (a very limited audience, when it comes to iOS markets), as opposed to Angry Birds, which is a very casual game that appeals to a huge spectrum of people

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Good for them.

The tablet is a great game medium because it has much more utility than a laptop. I don't like apple's policies so I will never own one of their devices but if this encourages more companies to invest more into tablet software that is great.

Touchscreen/stylus is perfect for some game types like rts, adventure, rail shooter, rpg, card games, etc.

I think touchscreen doesn't work as well for games where fast and precise action matters like platformers, racing, fps and fighting games.

That is why I like the new nintendo controller. If the developers use it correctly it will be a great enhancement for any game.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
This is pretty cool but I wonder if they next game for the App Market will also be $5.99. Now that this company has found another avenue in which to make money I wonder how long it will take for the rise of the $19.99 game app, then the $34.99 app, etc.

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
this scares me, I don't want to sucumb to handheld or in this case cell phone gaming no matter how impressive

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
this is roughly what Im talking about, if you price it to sell it will sell, dont need this $60 bs, that really just encourages people to pirate it

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised really. It's all about the price point. For what you are getting, $5.99 is a steal. It wouldn't be worth $20 though, for most. Triple A is all good, but charging top dollar all the time just plain stupid. I just bought the most expensive phone game there is on Android I think, it was $15 but offers over 100 hours of gameplay, and it's a strategy RPG. A good game can't be passed up.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
As a PC user/gamer, I love getting screwed over by all the titles people decide not to release on PC.