Infinity Ward Loses More Staff

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
I cannot say I'm terribly surprised. The recent losses are pretty indicative of some sort of internal unrest in the company to my uninformed outsider's eyes.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
You play with fire and you get burned. Lesson for the kiddies, if the devil offers you a great deal with lots of office space, snacks and a foosball table, remember he is still the devil.

Don't work for any public corporation unless you are the kind of ambitious sociopath who can make it to the top. The major shareholders (board members, executives, and investment funds) resent the fact that they have to pay you at all. If they can make more money this quarter screwing you they will without a doubt.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
VanBasten said:
TheTygerfire said:
Yay, no more Call Of Duty clogging the shelves!
And for Call of Duty fans, think of it this way. Now the series can end on a (allegedly) high note with 6.
As if Activision didn't own the rights to the CoD franchise and didn't already have 3 studios working on new CoD games...
As if those game won't sell nearly as much or be shells of what the fans think are great games.

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Mediocre cashcow development house starts losing staff due to not getting paid enough.

I can't force myself to care. Its not like, say, they actually made any progressive/detrimental impact on gaming as a whole.

I'd be happy if epic games started quietly dying. The Unreal3 engine has irrevocably damaged gaming as whole.

I'd be sad if valve started dying, as they've had nothing but a positive influence.

But... these guys? They made some popular mainstream games that like anything mainstream and popular, is aggressively mediocre, and designed from the ground up to be forgotten just in time for their next game.
Check your pretensions at the door please. Generalizing the mainstream as mediocre doesn't make you cool. It does not make you edgy. It just makes you pretentious.
Anyways, this news isn't that surprising although it is bad news for those who were expecting a satisfying end to the Modern Warfare series.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
TheTygerfire said:
As if those game won't sell nearly as much or be shells of what the fans think are great games.
We can speculate all day, really, we can't really say until we see another developer take a stab at the series - which I must say is becoming increasingly likely to happen with the staff they're bleeding at Infinity Ward.

Nov 28, 2007
Caiti Voltaire said:
TheTygerfire said:
We can speculate all day, really, we can't really say until we see another developer take a stab at the series - which I must say is becoming increasingly likely to happen with the staff they're bleeding at Infinity Ward.
We have seen another developer take a stab at it with CAll of Duty 3 and Call of Duty: World at War.

Tyson765

Mar 28, 2010
"Hey let's make it so that you can't have dedicated servers or lan games so they can't crack the game!"
"Hey that's the great idea it won't harm sales."

Those would have been the first to be "reshuffled" out of the deck. those two jokers. (I don't mean the two men mentioned in the article.)

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
those game won't sell nearly as much or be shells of what the fans think are great games.
Caiti Voltaire said:
We can speculate all day, really, we can't really say until we see another developer take a stab at the series
Call of Duty: World at War, 11 million sold by June last year.

Treyarch's next installment is most likely coming out this november.

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
HPoirot said:
herp e derp
Its less a generalization and more hard fact. Major entertainment companies have long known mediocrity is far more sustainable (and economically viable) than producing anything of actual worth. Nothing I can do will stop you spewing as much textual/verbal diarrhea insisting the opposite, but doing so marks you as nothing but someone hopelessly entrenched in the mainstream.
Obviously, everything that has ever been popular is mediocre and worthless. Thanks for showing me the err of my ways. I think I'll start bashing all those who disagree with that brilliant and not at all narrow-minded view. Clearly, those who disagree are just sheep, unable to form their own opinions. I don't know how I got by before you opened my eyes to the truth.
You seem to lack the ability to distinguish between your own opinion and fact. You consider mainstream games mediocre and worthless. Do others feel the same way? Yes. Does that make your opinion fact? No. Everyone has their own opinion on what is worthless and mediocre. Presenting your opinion on the matter as a fact just makes you seem narrow-minded and pretentious. And that actually is a fact.
Undoubtedly, you will dismiss my post as "diarrhea" because I am "hopelessly entrenched in the mainstream".

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Acitivion is doing the same thing EA did when they dropped Will Wright...

I think Kotick's gonna keep wringing Call of Duty like a dirty dishrag until he realises there's no more money left in it, even if it does continue on the progressivly crap route.

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
HPoirot said:
derpy derp ti diddly derp
Pretentious, arrogant, condescending tripe(I can change the quoted text to something insulting too)
Pretentiousness: Claiming a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified
or
behaving or speaking in such a manner as to create a false appearance of great importance or worth
To my eyes, you are bashing the mainstream in order to make yourself seem better than you really are. I think that falls under the definition of pretentiousness(although that is a matter of opinion)

I'm not saying it is wrong to think that the mainstream is mediocre. I am saying that claiming your opinion is an immutable fact of history is wrong. You might need a refresher on what exactly a fact is.
Fact: Italy is a country
Opinion: Mainstream=Mediocrity

None of this matters, however. You will respond by saying I am wrong. You will make more grandiose claims about how your opinion is a fact proved by centuries of history. You will insult my intelligence. You will continue to possess a inflated sense of your own self-worth. That much is certain.

I wash my hands of this argument.
Good day to you sir.