Infinity Ward Respawns at Respawn - UPDATED

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
They laughed when I said this exact thing would happen - that these guys would pull a Harmonix. They laughed when I said that this is similar enough to the Blizzard North split.

Told you so.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Starke said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Activision has really screwed the pooch on this one. Next thing they'll fire the Blizzard heads, and they'll join Respawn too.
That would be both tragic and hilarious... I'm leaning towards the hilarious, and they'd do it too...

Not G. Ivingname said:
Andy Chalk said:
Activision has made it clear that it intends to "Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100180-Infinity-Ward-Bonuses-to-be-Redistributed] bonuses owed to West, Zampella and others to Infinity Ward employees who remain with the studio, a strategy which some people have noted has a certain ring of bribery to it. It also appears somewhat legally dubious and even if the company is able to do it, will it really be enough to keep people in their chairs? I'm inclined to think that we haven't seen the last high-profile departure from Infinity Ward just yet.
Is that legal? If an employer owes payment to an employee, aren't they legally obliged to pay it?
Yeah, they are. Combine that with the fact that they've now publicly admitted that they were withholding pay, and suddenly it gets very hard for them to sit in court and argue that West and Zampella were trying to sabotage their company due to personal greed.
Congradulations Activision, you have alienated the company that has given you your best selling series and games, let them form their own studio with another company, and given them great reasons to sue. Their has to be some kind of award for this amount of Fail.
You missed the part where, apparently, there's some dispute over this, they might be able to haul off with that series too.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
How big was IW before this? 10 people? 100? Millions? Are they gonna miss those 8?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Starke said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Starke said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Activision has really screwed the pooch on this one. Next thing they'll fire the Blizzard heads, and they'll join Respawn too.
That would be both tragic and hilarious... I'm leaning towards the hilarious, and they'd do it too...

Not G. Ivingname said:
Andy Chalk said:
Activision has made it clear that it intends to "Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100180-Infinity-Ward-Bonuses-to-be-Redistributed] bonuses owed to West, Zampella and others to Infinity Ward employees who remain with the studio, a strategy which some people have noted has a certain ring of bribery to it. It also appears somewhat legally dubious and even if the company is able to do it, will it really be enough to keep people in their chairs? I'm inclined to think that we haven't seen the last high-profile departure from Infinity Ward just yet.
Is that legal? If an employer owes payment to an employee, aren't they legally obliged to pay it?
Yeah, they are. Combine that with the fact that they've now publicly admitted that they were withholding pay, and suddenly it gets very hard for them to sit in court and argue that West and Zampella were trying to sabotage their company due to personal greed.
Congradulations Activision, you have alienated the company that has given you your best selling series and games, let them form their own studio with another company, and given them great reasons to sue. Their has to be some kind of award for this amount of Fail.
You missed the part where, apparently, there's some dispute over this, they might be able to haul off with that series too.
Oh hahaha, great work Acrivision, great work.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Andy Chalk said:
UPDATE: Make it eight [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704186/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704186&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-704186]: Former Infinity Ward lead software engineer Francesco Gigliotti has signed up for the Respawn team.
It's nice to see that there are some people who value more than money. Not that I blame the people staying there. It's a tough call and some people need the money.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Nomination for Darwin Award? Anyone? Well I think you can only nominate one person. How about the CEO?

[Edit] Woops sorry.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Really, folks.....this really surprises you? A business fires several good employees then the fired employees make their won company to compete with the company who fired them? Sounds pretty cut & dry to me....best of luck to them.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Im waiting for when they give out the bonus money to everyone still at IW, and then we see them take a nose dive in there numbers.
Yeah I'm seeing there being a few people holding on for bonuses. Then once the bonuses are given BAM! everybody else leaves.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I really don't get how they are able to "redistribute" the money at all, it seems dodgy to me, a way to force people to stay.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I sense an epic tale of the downfall of an empire in the hands of the men it exiled.

Bobby Kotick's days are numbered.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
I dont think not giving out the bonuses is illegal. chances are its money they were planning on giving to them, but arnt contractually obligated to giving them.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
danpascooch said:
I like how pretty much everyone with "lead" in their title left.

Activision is fucked.
Blizzard <.< Activision is fine.

If i were the remaining employees, id wait for the bonus then jump ship XD
That's exactly what I was thinking. But there is also the chance that you might be promoted to one of the numerous lead spots now open.

kevo.mf.last said:
I dont think not giving out the bonuses is illegal. chances are its money they were planning on giving to them, but arnt contractually obligated to giving them.
They said they would redistribute the money they owed the former employees. That right there gives me the impression that they were obligated to give it to them.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
Wow, pure gold, this is hilarious. I don't exactly love EA, but from what I hear, a better choice. I really hope they get the rights to the series as well.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:

Also which developer has the best team in the Softball League?
Consider that it's blizzard who owns activision's ass, that's highly unlikely.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
I must have a one track mind, but this whole scandal sounds just like a typical guild breakup from World of Warcraft.

Onyxia takes a deep breath...
[Raid Warning]: RUN TO THE SIDE NOW
DanAmrich has died.
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: ffs!! not again
[Party] [MarkGrisby]: hahaha down goes the dk
[Party] [VinceZampella]: owwwned
[Party] [ToddAlderman]: He wasn't kicked to the whelp cave this time?
[Party] [ChrisCherubini]: nah he didn't live long enough mess that up
[Party] [MarkGrisby]: lols what a noob
[Raid Leader] [BobbyKotick]: face ony to the wall
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: gogogo
[Raid Leader] [BobbyKotick]: more dps! blow cds. Todd pop hero
[Raid] [JasonWest]: We got this
[Raid] [JonShiring]: almost OOM
[Raid] [VinceZampella]: 1 percent...
You are now saved to this instance.
[Raid] [JasonWest]: omg one shotted!!
[Raid] [VinceZampella]: dude we rofl stomped that
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: woooooots!
[Raid Leader] [BobbyKotick]: rez the dead
[Raid Leader] [BobbyKotick]: don't loot
[Party] [JasonWest]: man this is easy. we got this series on farm.
[Party] [VinceZampella]: lol
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: rezzzzz me!
[Raid] [JonShiring]: dude where are you?
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: up onys but lol
[Party] [ChrisCherubini]: More like up GMs ass, amirite?
[Party] [MarkGrisby]: haha you said it man
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: ty
[Raid] [TomAlderman]: So what dropped?
Your share of the loot was 8 Gold, 61 Silver, and 90 Copper.
You receive 2 of item: [Emblem of Bestseller].
[Raid Leader] [BobbyKotick]: [Sack of Spoils] roll
DanAmrich rolled a 12.
[Raid] [DanAmrich]: NOOOO!!!!1!
VinceZampella rolled a 87.
JasonWest rolled a 95.
[Raid] [MarkGrisby]: niiice.
BobbyKotick rolled a 54.
[Raid] [TomAlderman]: Congrats guys.
BobbyKotick receives loot: [Bag of Spoils].
[Guild] [JonShring]: tha hell?
[Guild] [VinceZampella]: WTF you ninjad our loot?
[Guild] [BobbyKotick]: u noobs were going to leave anyway. im not giving u @^&%.
[Guild] [JasonWest]: Oh $#%@ you man.
[Guild] [DanAmrich]: lol good one bossman
[Guild] [VinceZampella]: this is BS. im putting in a ticket.
JasonWest has been kicked from the guild.
VinceZampella has been kicked from the guild.
[Guild] [DanAmrich]: haha serves you rite
[Guild] [BobbyKotick]: we don't need those scrubs
[Guild] [ChrisCherubini]: that's gay.
[Guild] [MarkGrisby]: screw this
[Guild] [TomAlderman]: Knew this would happen eventually.
TomAlderman has left the guild.
MarkGrisby has left the guild.
ChrisCherubini has left the guild.
JohnPaulMesserly has left the guild.
[Guild] [DanAmrich]: noo wait
RaymeCVinson has left the guild.
[Guild] [JonShiring]: abandon ship!
JonShiring has left the guild.
MackeyMcCandlish has left the guild.
[Guild] [DamAmrich]: we r fine without those jerks, right boss?
[Guild] [BobbyKotick]: ...
[BobbyKotick] has gone offline.
[Guild] [FrancescoGigliotti]: lol you guys are screwed
FrancescoGigliotti has left the guild.

---
Months Later
[2 Trade] [DanAmrich]: omfg buys gold and hacks accounts. u guys ruined my life!!1!
[2 Trade] [JasonWest]: hey dan, hows that dead guild of yours? that's what you get for being a bunch of greedy ninjas.
[2 Trade] [AdamSessler]: cool story bro