Infinity Ward Says Call of Duty Players Aren't "Hardcore Gamers"

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Gamer implies multiple games.

To use the football analogy above.

It's like claiming you're a football fan, and only watching the FA Cup Final, every day, for the entire year, until the next year's final happens, and then watching that for the next year.

Added to that, what's wrong with really liking one game? I highly doubt anyone is supposed to be "Shame" for not being "Included" in the "Gamer elite".

If you enjoy it, play that. Sure, there are really good games you're missing out on, but, not be it for me to judge people based on what they enjoy.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
So I read that as "Infinity Ward says something controversial and possessive about their slowly declining fanbase to try and keep their slowly dying, horribly stagnant game series relevant into the next iteration after being called out on their 'new game engine' lies, so they can continue to pull in insane cash from a short, lazy re-skinning of their last game, which was in turn a short, lazy re-skinning of the game before that."

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
In some ways I'm glad that those things that play CoD aren't considered gamers.

The maturity level goes up and average voice tone goes down.

I call that a win.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Same thing happens with MMOs. People will play that and only that. That makes them an "insert MMO game name" player, but it doesn't make them a gamer.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This is great. I've been avoiding drugs all my life because I didn't want to be labeled as a drug user. But as long as I only smoke meth, and don't do any other drugs, I'm not a drug addict. Thanks for setting me straight, Infinity Ward.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
He's really just declaring things about the CoD audience (the core CoD audience anyway). All this discussion is pretty meaningless since it can be objectively found to be correct or incorrect.

The problem is "hardcore" and "gamer" aren't really defined.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
There's not really an argument here. It's just a matter of what definition of "gamer" you want to use. A debate that ends at the definitions isn't really much of a debate.

If you assign negative connotations to "not being a gamer," then that's up to you, but obviously IW doesn't carry the same connotations with its understanding of the word "gamer."

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wow. Even if that's gospel truth, that's an awesomely stupid thing for someone involved with the series to say.

"Hey, console companies that are thinking of our game as a tentpole? We're not your framchise. Nope; not going to sell any systems with our series, not going to help you sell more games on your systems. Give up that idea right now. And players? Any of you who have been nursing the idea that your mastery of our game makes you 'hardcore'? Let us disabuse you of such beliefs. Actually, we sort you with the same crowd that plays 'Cut the Rope' and 'Bejeweled'. We all clear on that? Okay. You may now commence the savage beating. Please, be mindful of our kidneys."

Jan 27, 2011
Canadish said:
Say what you want about Activision and it's developers, but they're not stupid. They know their market, they figured it out years ago.

If only the rest of the industry could figure this out and stop trying to hijack the COD audience, we might get some different genre of titles made occasionally. Those people aren't going to budge, or try your game, they already have their yearly game.
This. So much this.

You CAN'T steal CoD's throne right now. Just like you couldn't steal WoW's throne when it was the MMO king. The target market that plays CoD and buys every new one and is hardcore for that one series will not CARE about your different series of military shooters. They will ignore it and keep playing CoD.

Eventually, the market will shift and you can move for the kill like a jackal then. But until then, it's not likely to happen.

For WoW, it was the growing free to play market and the rise of League of Legends that shook its iron grip on the MMO market. Now, actual competition against it isn't pure suicide. I mean, Guild wars 2 is doing pretty good, no?

I'm also glad to see him disassociate them from the rest of the "gaming community". Can we stop getting blamed for the racist and sexist little 14 year knobheads who only play COD now?
Never.

In the eyes of the old fogeys running the media, anyone who ever played a violent game ever is a psychopathic fat loser who is just WAITING to murder everyone. :eek:

The only way to change that perception is to wait for the old fogeys to retire and make way for new blood that's less ignorant.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hardcore is subjective, gamer is subjective to a point. Both words have different meanings to different people. So really its not something you can pin down with a "definition". I don't consider myself a gamer, rather a games enthusiast because I enjoy so many different types of games (not just the video type) and I also don't fit in the social mold most of the "gamers" I've interacted with exist within. Semantics... sometimes the only thing that can prevent a war actually causes it because one side's definition of a phrase or word was different than the other's.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Alexander Kirby said:
Paying COD all the time would make you a hardcore COD player, but to call yourself a hardcore gamer you really need to play a wide variety of games.
This.

I think what Mark Rubin was trying to say is based off the assumption that everyone accepts Alexcander's post as given. He also used the word "average" so anyone coming around to post assuming he meant all CoD players can just go back under the illiterate rock they crawled from. See also: "Read the whole story for once you philistines".

And while I'm here griping. Michael Epstien. You crazy nut. One executive producer isn't the same as an entire company so Mark Rubin=/=Infinity Ward. And maybe you could use an adjective in the title; like "most" or "average".

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Callate said:
Wow. Even if that's gospel truth, that's an awesomely stupid thing for someone involved with the series to say.

"Hey, console companies that are thinking of our game as a tentpole? We're not your framchise. Nope; not going to sell any systems with our series, not going to help you sell more games on your systems. Give up that idea right now. And players? Any of you who have been nursing the idea that your mastery of our game makes you 'hardcore'? Let us disabuse you of such beliefs. Actually, we sort you with the same crowd that plays 'Cut the Rope' and 'Bejeweled'. We all clear on that? Okay. You may now commence the savage beating. Please, be mindful of our kidneys."
Here's a good example of post some big-browed neanderthal would write after he was done scrapping his knuckles on the ground.

Hey Callacious, fyi, Rubin said the opposite of what you be bitching about. He said, to the world, that the average CoD fan will buy the new console just because the average CoD fan buys about one game every year: CoD. He also said he wasn't labeling them as casual gamers either, Mr. BlackandWhite, because he doesn't believe that "Hardcore" and "Casual" are the only two states of gaming.
---
Ahem: "Read the whole story for once". Go ahead, give it a try, I promise it won't hurt. Just don't forget to trim those eyebrows so you can see the words that aren't big and bold and just in the title.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Pebkio said:
Here's a good example of post some big-browed neanderthal would write after he was done scrapping his knuckles on the ground.

Hey Callacious, fyi, Rubin said the opposite of what you be bitching about. He said, to the world, that the average CoD fan will buy the new console just because the average CoD fan buys about one game every year: CoD. He also said he wasn't labeling them as casual gamers either, Mr. BlackandWhite, because he doesn't believe that "Hardcore" and "Casual" are the only two states of gaming.
---
Ahem: "Read the whole story for once". Go ahead, give it a try, I promise it won't hurt. Just don't forget to trim those eyebrows so you can see the words that aren't big and bold and just in the title.
Ahem. Did read the entire story. Didn't get what you said out of it because it wasn't there.

He didn't say that the average CoD fan would "buy the new console"; he said, quote: "those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform." CoD:Ghosts is coming out for the 360 and PS3; by saying their loyalty was to the game, not to the system, he made a strong case that the game wasn't going to help sell next-generation systems, at least during the initial release.

Likewise, though he didn't explicitly label the CoD player base "casual", that's exactly the conclusion that many players will make in denying them the descriptor "hardcore". Digging into the origin article, he also explicitly said:

"We felt that that was something that casual players, who are a huge portion of our fan base, would benefit the most from,"
In short, I was speaking not merely about what he specifically said, but how the subtext is likely to be interpreted.

And next time you refer to me or anyone as a neanderthal and spout off in a petty, condescending, and entirely wrong-headed way, I'm going to report you. So don't do it.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Callate said:
Ahem. Did read the entire story. Didn't get what you said out of it because it wasn't there.

He didn't say that the average CoD fan would "buy the new console"; he said, quote: "those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform." CoD:Ghosts is coming out for the 360 and PS3; by saying their loyalty was to the game, not to the system, he made a strong case that the game wasn't going to help sell next-generation systems, at least during the initial release.

Likewise, though he didn't explicitly label the CoD player base "casual", that's exactly the conclusion that many players will make in denying them the descriptor "hardcore". Digging into the origin article, he also explicitly said:

"We felt that that was something that casual players, who are a huge portion of our fan base, would benefit the most from,"
In short, I was speaking not merely about what he specifically said, but how the subtext is likely to be interpreted.

And next time you refer to me or anyone as a neanderthal and spout off in a petty, condescending, and entirely wrong-headed way, I'm going to report you. So don't do it.
You want to talk about "in context" and yet quote something Rubin said about a different topic (females in games)? "Huge part of our fanbase" isn't the same as "average CoD fan". In fact, one could reasonably point out that YOU are going out-of-context in order to have the most toxic opinion about this statement.

So I am: You are going out-of-context in order to have the most toxic opinions about his statement. You like quotes? Here's one:
"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say," says Rubin. "They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night."
Yeah, that's specifically him trying to avoid labeling CoD fans as "casual gamers". Why'd you choose to ignore the on-topic in-context quote that was right in the article? Is it maybe because only you, and people like you, want to reach as far as you can and misinterpret in the most vitrolic ways so that you can just to turn any opinion into verbal battery acid?

So in long... you aren't interpreting what's "likely" for the rest of us... you're being an average CoD fan.
...oh crap, it just occured to me: Are you a CoD fan?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Pebkio said:
You want to talk about "in context" and yet quote something Rubin said about a different topic (females in games)? "Huge part of our fanbase" isn't the same as "average CoD fan". In fact, one could reasonably point out that YOU are going out-of-context in order to have the most toxic opinion about this statement.
"Huge part of the fanbase" would tend to imply, to my mind, anywhere from one-quarter to as many as half of the fanbase. But what you may be missing is my original comment in quotes- the "toxic opinion"- wasn't my personal feelings about what he said, but my estimation of how they were likely to be interpreted by a) portions of the fanbase aggrieved at not being thought "worthy" of a "hardcore" description and b) console manufacturers who might feel their next generation consoles weren't getting full-voiced "support" from the makers of a major franchise.

I hold to that opinion; neither console marketers nor the so-called "fanboy" demographic have a reputation for tolerance for slights against the things they hold dear, whether that thing is the bolstering effect of a truly "next gen" experience for the console they're marketing or a view of themselves as extreme and elite. If you find this view of either group mistaken, I'd be happy to provide examples.

So I am: You are going out-of-context in order to have the most toxic opinions about his stateent. You like quotes? Here's one:
"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say," says Rubin. "They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night."
Yeah, that's specifically him trying to avoid labeling CoD fans as "casual gamers". Why'd you choose to ignore the on-topic in-context quote that was right in the article? Is it maybe because only you, and people like you, want to reach as far as you can and misinterpret in the most vitrolic ways so that you can just to turn any opinion into verbal battery acid?
...Sigh.

Look over that statement again.

What does he say? He says "they're not hardcore gamers, or even gamers."

Yes, he says that's a weird, ironic thing to say; he probably intends it with greater nuance that appears in the quote. That's not how a lot of people are likely to interpret that statement. They're just going to get that he said Call of Duty fans "aren't hardcore gamers". Anything further- such as your supposition that he's going out of his way to avoid calling them "casual" gamers- is just that, supposition. You may well be correct that that was his intent; that's not what's going to come across, because the mollification isn't apparent in the statement.

Hell, for that matter, the entire article is lines taken out of context from different interviews. It's possible that within the greater interviews, a much more sophisticated picture is painted.

Someone who works in PR- however indirectly- should still know better than to make such a comment.

So in long... you aren't interpreting what's "likely" for the rest of us... you're being an average CoD fan.
...oh crap, it just occured to me: Are you a CoD fan?
I kind of have to laugh now.

No, I really am not. I have no skin in the game whatsoever. The last Call of Duty game I played was called just that: Call of Duty, no numbers or subititles. I have absolutely no personal stake in how anyone thinks of the CoD fanbase, whether they think they're hardcore elite gamers, the backbone of gaming as a whole, devotees to one franchise who rarely look elsewhere, or part of the "casual" market, whatever that means in this day and age. I do not self-identify as a CoD player, let alone a "fan", and I don't own stock in Activision.

The most I can say is that I have some nearly academic interest in how CoD influences and affects the rest of the gaming scene: the expectations placed on "blockbuster AAA" titles, the aesthetic and interface choices that end up getting imitated in other titles, and how such a major franchise might or might not actually influence sales and expectations of the next generation of console hardware.

My observation was this, and only this: For someone heavily involved in the series to make comments that could be interpreted as pigeonholing or trivializing that series fanbase, and minimizing its likely impact in the market of the next generation of consoles (at a time when said next generation is very much on people's minds) seemed to me a strikingly thoughtless and ill-considered move.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
"So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it."

Is that pretty much saying we will keep doing what we are doing as long as "they" keep buying it?