Insomniac Chief: It's More Fun to Play With Friends

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Bite me, Price.
Actually, that's not fair, I actually enjoy the multiplayer in Up Your Arsenal, and the ps3 crowd hasn't ruined it for me yet... so... um..

Well, fuck you guys for All 4 One and RaCF

*goes to play the original again*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh Ted Price, why'd you have to go say this?!

With the way things are going I can see this generation truly becoming my last one.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Krantos said:
I am reminded suddenly of Yahtzee's Call of Juarez: Cartel review.

OT: I have a 9-6 job 5 days a week. My "friends" live three time zones away. Thus, I spend most of my time playing single player.

I am not pleased with this line of thought.

Sure, it's easier to play together. It's NOT, however, easier to play with anyone you'd WANT to play with. Matchmaking is a pit from hell.
Have you tries the match making in TF2's MVM? Awful. People drop out if it and don't communicate.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, it will be fun. For about 5 months. Then people will move on and the multiplayer will be a lonely ghost-town, and the game's most advertised feature will be kaput, which kills the longevity of the game.

I'm sure the game will be good, but I really can't see Fuse's multiplayer staying strong longer than 5 months. Hope I'll be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Huh, apparently ive only ever wanted and enjoyed multiplayer gaming experiences, I just didn't notice. I am so thankful to have publishers and developers who know what I want better than myself. All this time I've been playing single player games and not having as much fun as I thought I did. Now I wont have to worry about being fooled by these single player games like skyrim and Deus Ex when all I really want to play is multiplayer games like Brink. Thanks guys.

Now if only the ensure that it is online multiplayer because frankly I much prefer playing with high pitched annoying screaming kids instead of local co-op with people like my girlfriend and friends.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"With friends"?

What an amazing idea! Having a few friends over for a gaming night. Perhaps LAN and split screen options...

Oh what's that EA? You didn't mean that because not every single person playing might not have bought your shitty game to create mandatory accounts, you weren't going to offer those things the last generation did? You meant by "connected experience" and "friends" you were making an excuse for your always online teather, microtransactions and DLC? Well I'm hardly surprised then...

Then when my internet goes out, I won't be able to play games like I used to during the outage... or watch a movie for that matter since everyone is giving up ownership and paying monthly access fees for a movie library that can also disappear during outages.

Fuck you, EA, fuck you right in the ear. May you go bankrupt and your pets poop in your shoes.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, call me old fashioned but I prefer to play on my own. It's such a hassle to get multiplayer games going with my friends because we have conflicting schedules and quite different taste in our games. Another thing is sometimes someone just doesn't have the money for a game, and by the time they do, everyone else has lost interest.

Sure we come together to play something every now and then, but for the most part I go solo.

Or maybe I got burnt out on multiplayer games because I played too much CoD, sounds about right.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I suppose the man's entitled to his opinion. And I suppose he's not the only one who feels that connectivity improves a game. Personally, I've never found it to be so. I don't even look at the multiplayer in most games, and find myself actively resenting its implementation in others, like in Mass Effect 3. As long as not participating in MP will have no effect, as in none, we don't even notice it's there, on single player, I won't mind. So far, developers seem to have it in their head that the MP modes should annoy the hell out of single players if they don't participate.

If that's the way this connectivity and multiplayer crap is going to go, I want off the bus.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
You know what would be funner? Laughter caused by you, Insomniac. Or least not feeling like I'm playing Brown Shooter #2014 even with the amazing guns.

Aug 25, 2009
I don't have any friends I can play with online and my IRL friends mostly don't like video games. The few who do don't like multiplayer.

So what am I supposed to do then? Just sit and spin while the gaming community slowly moves online and I'm left playing 10 year old 360 and PS2 games?

Everyone who plays games online is a gamer, but not every gamer games online.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
If I want to play single player I will play single player on a game that has always embraced it, if I want to play multiplayer I will play a good multiplayer game. I do not want a forced multiplayer experience in a game where it was never needed before.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This calls to mind some sports nut (no offense, sports nuts - any resemblance to characters real or fictional is entirely accidental) saying football season makes movies irrelevant. They're different products, addressing different interests, and impossible to compare!

Fun is ALL you get if you play with friends. No credible story, no immersion, no take-your-time, no investment - just fast, loose, kill-this-now-come-here-hey-don't-stop-to-smell-those-flowers-we-have-to-keep-moving-itis.

Sorry if it annoys you, Insomniac, but I MUCH prefer story, immersion, and similar elements to mindless playground "fun." And if you won't provide it, I won't provide you with my patronage.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I love pizza, and really want to eat pizza. Therefore, I must eat pizza every night. Sure, I can still have pasta, meatloaf, or a sandwich, but I MUST always spend some time ensuring that I always make at least a small pizza.

You want to make Multiplayer? Awesome. You are pursuing the future of Multiplayer? Good for you. You arn't particularly interested in single player? That's a valid choice. But single player experiences offer something unique too, and to systemically eliminate, ignore, or neglect it is to needlessly handicap yourself for no reason. There are countless possibilities for games that are just not good as a multiplayer experience. Spec Ops, for example, is an excellent choice, and it just barely came out AND it is in a genre that lends itself INCREDIBLY readily to a multiplayer experience. Just because multiplayer is YOUR specialty doesn't mean that everyone should try to copy you. That's boring.

Mar 7, 2012
If this isn't proof that EA is putting the metaphorical gun to their developer's heads and telling them to say the right things, I don't know what is.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Hmm, I never had the feeling that I wanted to play Half-Life (f.e.) together with another person. SP experiences are great and I don't want Devs to completely abandon it. There are very few MP games I actually like and guess what. I don't like co-op games. If I want to go play MP I play certain games that are designed for it like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead. Also MMOs would fall into this category.

In addition it might be fun to play with friends but personally I don't have friends that are really into the online gaming stuff. The last friend I played an online games had family and because of that a very limited amount of time (about one evening per week) and was only interested in about 1 or 2 games (SC2 and D3) and I couldn't get him interested in shooters...

So I guess I'm not in your target audience...although I've been a gamer all my live.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
While I have my irks with EA saying this, Insomniac is one of the few companies I /trust/ with this idea. The co-op mode in Resistance 2 was one of the most fun parts of the game, and I'm certainly looking forward to Over-... dammit... Fuse. I trust Insomniac won't detract from the single-player experience, so I say go for it. EA, however, has a habit of rushing the hell out of games and tacking on multiplayer where it doesn't belong, so I do /not/ trust them. Multiplayer is a developer choice. If they don't think that a multiplayer mode will be fun enough to warrant its addition then it probably won't be.

Also worth noting: Ted Price never said that /others/ should take the same approach here. He just said that he was taking this viewpoint, so i really don't see anything wrong here.