Insomniac: Fuse Is "Something Fresh" in a "Sea of Sequels"

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
And by 'Something Fresh' they of course mean a bland and generic dude-bro Co-Op/Multiplayer shooter that, at best, looks like the bastard unholy offspring of the Splinter Cell reboot and Resistance. Right. Well, hope EA wrote Ted Price a fat check sufficient enough for him to sell out his original vision for this "Fresh Idea."

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Grey Carter said:
Insomniac: Fuse Is "Something Fresh"
*Looks at image*

...Yeah that's definitely something "fresh" there, Insomniac. Tell me, have they tried making a game that didn't involve guns? I bet if you made a game that didn't use violence as a mechanic, it would be... I dunno.. actually fresh?

Nice try Insomniac, nice try, you're really singing the same song as everyone else but at a different pitch.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
piinyouri said:
I honestly don't care about the aesthetic, it's Insomniac.
It's going to be fun. : D
We can only hope so. But of course, many modern military shooters are, at least in part, well built games. The problem is the consistent tone and general plot and even character personalities which are shared between fucking ALL OF THEM. Which is what Insomniac made this, at least that's what I could gather based on the gameinformer article and interviews/previews I've read.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
I'm quite frankly done with blaming EA over this ever since Ted Price "explained" the change in tone with "We love crazy weapons at Insomniac, and with this new direction we can just take the handcuffs off and go for it and do crazy crap to enemies, and it feels really good when you're playing this"

I'd expect the CEO of Insomniac to know better than to say stuff like this.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Something totally fresh - from the heat lamps. It's only been on the warming plate for a day or two guys! It's not like these are baked goods!

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Wow. I'd never watched the Overstrike trailer before. That looks like a game I'd actually play. Fuse? No, not gonna happen. Sorry, guys. I dunno what happened to you, but I miss the days of blowing everything up with my gatling rocket launcher that explodes into a supernova and kills my zombie robot enemies.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Irridium said:
Maybe if it still looked like this

I'd be more interested. As it stands, this just looks like yet another realistic/serious shooter and I just can't find any reason to be interested in it. Yeah it's a new IP, but it just doesn't look all that original.
Why would change that? That is a magnificent looking game; why change?

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
Irridium said:

I'd be more interested. As it stands, this just looks like yet another realistic/serious shooter and I just can't find any reason to be interested in it. Yeah it's a new IP, but it just doesn't look all that original.
Three words. Published by EA.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Oh wow.. people shooting guns.. what a fresh and interesting concept, it's never been explored before..
Hahahahahahahahahahaha! xD
Seriously though, this situation reminds me of all the hype around Brink, remember that one? Yeah, me either.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Fuse is an upcoming new IP from Ratchet & Clank developer, Insomniac. It's a - okay. Hold on. I can see I've lost you there.
You didn't lose me here...

...the upcoming co-op shooter, Fuse.
This is where you lost me.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I think it's bad sign when the most noteworthy thing about an upcoming game is the fact that it's a new IP. And I have to agree with the sentiment here that it basically looks like the epitome of the generic action shooter.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Ahahahhaahahaha.... What about No Mr.Price?

As many has already stated I was more interested when it was Overstrike then generic shooter Nr(Insert Nr here).

Something fresh in a sea of sequels...*Pfft* Ahahahaha, Thanks you Mr.Price for making my morning.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
digital warrior said:
Three words. Published by EA.
I don't know what you mean, everyone working under EA says they have complete creative control so it must be true...

Well what can you really say about this #5932 generic copy paste shooter, I guess this outing makes a good lesson why people are so distrustful of companies, because the fuckers will show a stick figure drawing and call it Picasso at every motherfucking opportunity they get.

Sep 24, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
Irridium said:

Well, the developer said this, and I swear it made me lose a little hope in the video game world:

Fuse, even before we knew it as Overstrike, began life as something different altogether: a four-player stealth game.

"That didn't work," says Price of the game's original intent. "We were struggling to find the fun there. [Brian Allgeier] was the one who came to me and said, 'I don't think this is working at all. We need to take this in a more action-oriented direction.' It made a lot of sense, because that's what we do best."

"There's always going to be a Leeroy Jenkins that runs in and screws things up," Allgeier says of the original co-op stealth design. "We realized we really needed to make this about these dual functional weapons - they were called gadgets at the time - but we finally locked down on what seemed to be an offensive, four-player game that's class-based. That was a big step for us about six months into the project."

That's when Insomniac began prototyping Fuse's signature weapons, some of which made their way into the E3 trailer, some of which have since evolved. Price says that, constrained by Overstrike's stylized art direction, the developer was having trouble giving the game's weapons "the impact that we believed they needed to make combat feel satisfying."

"When we went in a darker direction, a less comic direction, we were able to do a lot more over-the-top experimentation with the weapons," he says. "We were able to make them look more brutal and do things to enemies that we simply couldn't do with our previous incarnation of the game. It wasn't until we started trying these things that we realized that's where the core fun, in terms of the minute-to-minute combat, lay."
Source [http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3781132/meet-fuse-the-game-formerly-known-as-insomniacs-overstrike]

Yeah. So the guns didn't make him feel manly enough, so they gutted the interesting looking characters to make them suitable walking Gun Holders.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
also, i guess they thought people who were bad at stealth games would buy a co-op stealth game, because those people historically enjoy games they don't enjoy playing

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
Gordon_4 said:
Irridium said:

Well, the developer said this, and I swear it made me lose a little hope in the video game world:

Fuse, even before we knew it as Overstrike, began life as something different altogether: a four-player stealth game.

"That didn't work," says Price of the game's original intent. "We were struggling to find the fun there. [Brian Allgeier] was the one who came to me and said, 'I don't think this is working at all. We need to take this in a more action-oriented direction.' It made a lot of sense, because that's what we do best."

"There's always going to be a Leeroy Jenkins that runs in and screws things up," Allgeier says of the original co-op stealth design. "We realized we really needed to make this about these dual functional weapons - they were called gadgets at the time - but we finally locked down on what seemed to be an offensive, four-player game that's class-based. That was a big step for us about six months into the project."

That's when Insomniac began prototyping Fuse's signature weapons, some of which made their way into the E3 trailer, some of which have since evolved. Price says that, constrained by Overstrike's stylized art direction, the developer was having trouble giving the game's weapons "the impact that we believed they needed to make combat feel satisfying."

"When we went in a darker direction, a less comic direction, we were able to do a lot more over-the-top experimentation with the weapons," he says. "We were able to make them look more brutal and do things to enemies that we simply couldn't do with our previous incarnation of the game. It wasn't until we started trying these things that we realized that's where the core fun, in terms of the minute-to-minute combat, lay."
Source [http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3781132/meet-fuse-the-game-formerly-known-as-insomniacs-overstrike]

Yeah. So the guns didn't make him feel manly enough, so they gutted the interesting looking characters to make them suitable walking Gun Holders.
That disappoints me greatly. I've got several friends with me, and we're absolutely aching for a new kind of experience, and that co-op stealth idea sounds like great fun. Yeah, there's a great chance of borking your op, but that would open up all sorts of organic experiences where other players could use that Leeroy Jenkins as some sort of 'bait'. You see, that's creative thinking right there, and now they've robbed us of that chance to instead give us a generic shooter. Goddamnit Insomniac, you guys are good, but this kind of thinking keeps you guys from being great. You might as well be making Bulletstorm 2 if that's what you want in your games.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I see that they were trying to retain some of the personality from the original concept but it doesn't work since it is limited with gritty visuals and awful first person narration. It reminds me of Baman comics. BAD batman comics.

"We don't love anybody darlin. We just survive"

Where is Adam Wast when you need him?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Of course, it's not just about being a new IP; New games have to distinguish themselves from the old to secure an audience desperate for new experiences
Exactly. Everyone else has already beaten me to it, but there's absolutely no point in boasting about having a new IP when it's just yet another generic shooter. Any idiot can make up a new IP. Come up with a few suitably manly names for your characters and then ship them off to fight terrorists in Fakeistan or aliens in Generic Sci-fi Planet #3187. The trick is to make an interesting new IP.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Irridium said:

Yep.
Normally I'm not one for swearing to never buy a game or some such but I'm intentionally never picking up Fuse. It could be really good and amazing and so cool but I spent like, a year getting excited for Overstrike and then this happens.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
A new IP does not a 'fresh' game make sir.

Like many others, I was interested when they showed off Overstrike, but the transition to "make it darker and grittier" has made me lose my interest in this game.

It's funny, changing their aesthetics from cell-shade to realistic is the opposite of what Borderlands did - a move that was praised for making the game 'fresh'.
Only time will tell if their decision pays off.