Insomniac's Officially Done With Resistance

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Insomniac always seemed to have struggled with Resistance and what direction they really wanted to take it.

It's good they're getting rid of it to concentrate on a franchise which is more their cup of tea.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I don't really care (and I don't know why anybody else does) to me this series ended with the third one and it was a good ending, there's no need for any more.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Having just got Resistance 3, and it being my first Resistance game, I can say, yeah, I like it. It's good. I like that they recognize that they shouldn't keep milking it, and back out when they're done.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Am I the only one who doesn't want another Ratchet and Clank game? The series has been logically concluded, and it's gone slightly downhill since Up Your Arsenal. First person shooters; although Insomnaics first genre; isn't their best. It would nice to see another evolution is the platforming world taken into their hands. Maybe something that directly correlates with whatever Naughty Dog is working on, hint-hint. Insomnaic needs to stop milking whatever's working for them, and start innovating again. I want more creativity, more humour, and more Stewart Copeland. I don't want family-friendly cuteness, or gritty violent war-games anymore, I want both.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I'm kinda glad. I'd rather they work on projects they are excited about. If they grudgingly made another Resistance, it wouldn't be as good. at least they have the sense to say "We're done with this franchise."

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
So, three and out just like Spyro and Ratchet. New series time, hooray!
Ratchet is still being actively developed by Insomniac, and is well past its third installment. I'm not sure who they gave Spyro to, but needless to say, we got Skylanders out of it, so giving resistance to another dev could turn out badly.

Although I really hope that they start up a new series. I'm always a fan of Insomniac's stuff, so their next game could be really good.

DyranLK

Jan 28, 2012
On to Overstrike then, lol. The years with the Resistance franchise were probably one of Insomniac's lower points of their career, (although they were still fine games nonetheless [for the most part]), so moving on to a new IP should be a signal for some brighter and more cordial results to come. They have been hanging in the shadow of their fellow buddy, Naughty Dog, for quite some time now as well, anyway (Anyone else check out the introduction video at the AIAS website? Just thought that was a pretty funny shoutout, lol....If you...know what I'm even talking about, that is...o_O); with a new game in the mix, this just might even out the creases, so to speak.

Although, then again, Naughty Dog was living under the shadow of Insmoniac during the days of the PS2 and PS1, so it might actually be the other way around, in a way...:p

Badong

May 26, 2010
Life will have little meaning for the Resistance fans out there once Nihilistic Software cocks it up.

OT: Has Valve made a co-op-centric shooter yet? If not, then Overstrike might not be that good either. I kid, really, but I do hope that both developers handle their new toys IPs properly.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I love resistance (especially the 3rd), I love insomniac, and I'm not bothered by this. Insomniac has better things to do, Overstrike for example looks awesome, and while the new resistance games won't be as good, what they've done with the series is more than enough and if someone else wants a crack at it, why not?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Lancer873 said:
I'm sorry, am I the only one who heard "moving on to other games, such as Overstrike" and instantly considered this good news?
That was my reaction but for different reasons. I haven't followed any news on Overstrike so I really couldn't care about that right now, I'm just glad that they're not making this series anymore. I still haven't played Resistance 3 so I can't say if it was any good or not, but as someone who thought the the original was a pretty decent first run at a new FPS series, especially considering it was a launch title, it pains me greatly to have to say that Resistance 2 was quite possibly the worst FPS I've played in the last 10 years. Everything from terrible pacing, lousy level design, a story that was so poorly told that I wasn't even sure what the hell had just happened or why I did anything in the entire game, bullet sponge bosses, half-assed co-op and a confusing control layout. The entire game played like something made by a company that had only ever seen FPS games before and had never actually played one, let alone made one.

That series was a terrible fit for them at that point quite frankly, and they basically killed any chance of me playing another game in the series. So I'm glad to see them move on because I think they can do better, and should have the chance to put that mess behind them and do something they can excel at.

weker

May 27, 2009
Meh, I found it an overly generic shooter, I'm kinda feel it just had enough money thrown at it to make it famous. I have to admit if it wasn't clear in the rest of my post I don't really feel this is a loss at all.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
For all of the comparisons, at least there's one thing it has over Half-Life 2.
It's actually released and done.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Vivi22 said:
snip, didn't like Resistance 2
Eh, I agree that the campaign wasn't too great, mostly because of the transition to full-on-regen-based health and only two weapons, but I felt there was a lot to love about it, especially the online co-op campaigns, I felt that those were quite fun. As for R3, it solved pretty much every problem the fanbase had with the previous game and added even more badass weapons to the mix, though a lot of people were disappointed in the story, but at least they wrapped it all up. I agree that I feel it's nice that they're moving on. Resistance wasn't their best match. They got a bit too dark, and Overstrike looks like it'll be a nice contrast for that.