Installing Steam games on a new computer

Not Gabe Newell

Jul 14, 2013
I'm thinking of building a new rig soon, and I have a question about my Steam games transferring over.

If I've modified any of the games files (as in manually adding files into the games' folders), will those modifications carry over to the new PC, or will it install a fresh copy?

I'd prefer it if it installed a fresh copy.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
If you added files manually, I'm almost certain they'll just install clean as if it never happened. That's been my experience every time.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It'll install a fresh copy. The Steam Cloud service only backups save files. I suggest making a save files backup of your own regardless of it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Yep, custom content is not saved. If you use a Mod Manager like for Bethesda games, the Mod Manager might save what mods your account downloaded, but even then I'm not sure.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
T respond to YellowCellphone, (Not worth notifying him over such a small detail)
It only saves a history, and even then only if you have a premium account.
But it's dependent on what you mean modifications. If it's steamworkshop files I'm pretty sure they'll download each time until you unsubscribe, as that's the case I've been having with Gmod. But other than that you should be just perfect