Intel Cancels Project Offset

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Intel Cancels Project Offset

Intel [http://www.intel.com] has canceled Project Offset, the awesome-looking first-person fantasy game that's been in development since 2005.

When Project Offset first came to light, jaws dropped. There wasn't much to see in the way of gameplay, but it was an absolute wonder to look at. The game was intended to be a fantasy FPS, although despite being in development for five years it never managed to get beyond that very vague description, and its future has been in doubt for some time. The last Project Offeset projectoffset.com [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOPbyl7r8gk] website hasn't been updated since March 2009. Now Intel, which acquired Offset Software in 2008, has made it official: The plug has been pulled.

"Intel purchased Offset Software to improve our game development knowledge-base and to further Intel's visual computing technology development expertise, helping the company offer robust products, support, and tools to customers," the company said in a statement. "With the recent changes in our product roadmap, some of the resources and technologies from the acquisition are being re-applied to help support new graphics related projects. Additionally, other Offset Software team members have moved onto other external projects outside the company."

Those "recent changes," according to cancel Larrabee [http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/07/01/project-offset-officially-shut-down-at-intel-founders-launches/], the code name for a GPU in development at Intel that was shut down after it failed to live up to expectations.

Some of the Offset Software team, including founder Sam McGrath, have formed a new studio called Fractiv LLC [http://www.fractiv.com/], although whether Project Offset will continue development in any form at Fractiv is currently unknown. McGrath told Big Download that he would talk about Fractiv, the end of Offset Software (and hopefully Project Offset itself) "in the near future."

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Well that was a kick in the nuts. The tech demos released over the years looked fantastic. But at least I still have something to look forward to in Du..., never mind.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Bit of a shame, but I'm not really too surprised... I mean it never stopped being called something that wasn't a "codename" or development name. I remember seeing that back in 2005/2006 and even today, 5 years later the graphics look pretty top notch.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, tis a shame, I had read some news on this and, was looking forward to seeing it develop more...Guess somethings (especilly in development that long) just are not meant to be!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I didnt know about this project... but looked interesting too bad

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The trailers look nice, but what doesn't these days? In ten years, it would have looked downright primitive.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
This is sad news but to be honest they have been going the way of Duke Nukem Forever, the game did look and sound amazing but after five years, while they did had incredible trailers, it never felt like they had anything concrete done...

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Damn, I was really looking forward to that. Guess I'd better go back to hoping Bethesda don't cock up TES V.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Oh no, yet another Lord Of The Rings knock-off got cancelled. Hear the women weeping and beating their breasts. What a sad day for creativity and originality...
Because all fantasy games are Lord of the Rings knock-offs. Let's not be ignorant here, please.

At any rate, I'm very disappointed in this. The concept, the world they created, and the visuals were all top-notch so to see it go under is just a shame.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Vet2501 said:
Damn, I was really looking forward to that. Guess I'd better go back to hoping Bethesda don't cock up TES V.
*exaggerated sigh* You and me both.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard much about TES V since QuakeCon. And that was a pretty lousy update.

<quote= Todd Howard>...don't look for a new Elder Scrolls game in the near future.

I just hope it's not an MMO.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Shit. I've been watching that for over 3 years. I've been an active forum member, so this isn't that big of a surprise because the forums were closed some time ago. But still. God damn....

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Seriously! That looks friggin' epic! Someone has to pick this project back up, there's a helluvah lot of potential in this game. The only fantasy FPS I can think of is Oblivion, and it's nowhere near as epic looking as this!

Okay, I just looked at some trailers, but still it looked friggin' epic. PLEASE someone pick this back up, it has a huge amount of potential in it. (couple with the fact that I'm finally getting a gaming PC, I would actually be able to play the damn thing).

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I forgot about that game. Just dropped off my radar. It's always a shame to see a promising game go, but it must have been in development hell to last that long.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That sucks, this game looked absolutely amazing.

Quick, we need the announcement of TESV!

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
As soon as I heard Intel bought it up I knew it was doomed. Intel only wanted it to show of their hardware. They are not game developers.