Intel Strategy Shuts Out PC Enthusiasts

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
thesilentman said:
And as usual no one gives the technical details. Can I get some to see exactly what the deal is? I don't see a problem with upgrading motherboards.
As I see it, there are two problems:
1. This will make it harder to overclock, since Intel can place more restrictions on what the mobo is allowed to do.
2. Windows Product Activation is, IIRC, tied to the motherboard. If you get a new mobo, you need a new copy of Windows to go with it (at least that's how it worked as of XP, they might have changed it since).

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:
The solution from the consumer end of things is just simply not to support it.

And so I shall. AMD get your shit together and fill the void.
Sadly, the vast bulk of the consumer end is the purchase of pre-fabricated units anyhow. If a comparable product can be had cheaply, I can't think of a business on earth that would opt for the more expensive route on such a slim principle. Hell, even most PC gamers I know don't build computers anymore; indeed, I'm the only person I know using a machine I built myself. Ten years ago, everyone I knew who played games on PC built their PC themselves.

Of course, out of that population of ten or so people I still keep in touch with, only two of us regularly play PC games. The others moved their gaming habits to the 360.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Mechalynx said:
Well well well, looks like high time for me to abandon the Intel ship. Does this mean I'll have to give up NVIDIA?
what??

what does intel have to do with nvidia?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
MrTub said:
Mechalynx said:
Well well well, looks like high time for me to abandon the Intel ship. Does this mean I'll have to give up NVIDIA?
what??

NVIDIA and Intel are bedmates, I have no idea how well AMD stuff and NVIDIA cards work together since I'm an amateur at building my rigs (only built 2 from scratch).

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Mechalynx said:
MrTub said:
Mechalynx said:
what??

NVIDIA and Intel are bedmates, I have no idea how well AMD stuff and NVIDIA cards work together since I'm an amateur at building my rigs (only built 2 from scratch).
There is no problem using AMD grahpic card with Intel proccesor and there is no problem using AMD cpu with Nvidia gpu.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
DataSnake said:
thesilentman said:
And as usual no one gives the technical details. Can I get some to see exactly what the deal is? I don't see a problem with upgrading motherboards.
As I see it, there are two problems:
1. This will make it harder to overclock, since Intel can place more restrictions on what the mobo is allowed to do.
2. Windows Product Activation is, IIRC, tied to the motherboard. If you get a new mobo, you need a new copy of Windows to go with it (at least that's how it worked as of XP, they might have changed it since).
Number 2 is only the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of windows.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Mechalynx said:
MrTub said:
Mechalynx said:
what??

Just fine, I use a asus motherboard with a AMD processor but a Nvidia grahpics card. It works just as well as a intel/nvidia or amd/amd build.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
MrTub said:
There is no problem using AMD grahpic card with Intel proccesor and there is no problem using AMD cpu with Nvidia gpu.
Zipa said:
Just fine, I use a asus motherboard with a AMD processor but a Nvidia grahpics card. It works just as well as a intel/nvidia or amd/amd build.
And that is all I needed to know. I was worried since my fiancee always builds AMD processor/ASUS mobo/Radeon and hinted at that plugging in NVIDIA would set the world on fire.

Thank you!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I don't usually overclock my CPU's either but I will definitely keep this in mind.

I just hope that this source is false however.I despise AMD processors.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
I really dont see whats the big issue enthusiast will always buy the biggest better thing out there, so is not like they gonna be "switching" CPUs because there a no "better" CPUs and by the time a truly better cpu arrives you can bet your ass is gonna be on a different socket, and whit intel and amd constantly changing sockets normal people whit modest computers cant really change CPU for better performance either (looking at you 1155 socket), son endline very few people is changing CPUs, if they put out 3 models one for enthusiasts one for productivity and one for browsing and basic uses in the long run it can be even better whit increased peformance and reduction if the problems of the actual "bridge" between the cpu and the mobo, the only real risk here is for the people who buys cheap mobos and psus and are constantly changing theyr broken mobos keeping the cpus and ram, (quality well installed mobos whit good psus and proper electrical protection will last FOREVER. my 20 years old first pentium is still up and running as the registering machine in my store, also my P4, dual core, quad core, and my first i7, ALL of them perfect running conditions whit years upon years of use on them)

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
enriquetnt said:
I really dont see whats the big issue enthusiast will always buy the biggest better thing out there, so is not like they gonna be "switching" CPUs because there a no "better" CPUs and by the time a truly better cpu arrives you can bet your ass is gonna be on a different socket, and whit intel and amd constantly changing sockets normal people whit modest computers cant really change CPU for better performance either (looking at you 1155 socket), son endline very few people is changing CPUs, if they put out 3 models one for enthusiasts one for productivity and one for browsing and basic uses in the long run it can be even better whit increased peformance and reduction if the problems of the actual "bridge" between the cpu and the mobo, the only real risk here is for the people who buys cheap mobos and psus and are constantly changing theyr broken mobos keeping the cpus and ram, (quality well installed mobos whit good psus and proper electrical protection will last FOREVER. my 20 years old first pentium is still up and running as the registering machine in my store, also my P4, dual core, quad core, and my first i7, ALL of them perfect running conditions whit years upon years of use on them)
ivy bridge cpus are actually supported on some SB motherboards so that is not completely true and perhaps you just want to switch motherboard since you bought a new graphic card (2/3/4sli/xfire) or for some other reason so there is several reasons to why this is not a good idea for costumers.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Well, my next system was going to be AMD anyhow (mainly due to cost) so yeah, fuck intel, especially with the intel graphics chipsets, they kinda suck.

Hope AMD starts getting their CPU tech up to intels level, y'know, that way we at least have some hope...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The customizable aspect of PCs is its biggest strength in my eyes! I'm not a builder but I have always liked the option to build if I had the money and patience. I don't want Intel to take that away! D:<

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
What? Just after I buy an Intel CPU I find that Intel is going to stop making separate CPUs? Well, looks like I'll be going back to AMD next time I upgrade my computer.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I guess this is the part where I smile like a smug **** for always buying AMD from the day I started servicing my own machines.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
All this doom and gloom was for naught:
[qoute]Intel Not Abandoning Socketed CPUs After All - Enthusiast Sector Safe for Now[/qoute]
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/14656/