Interactive Sculpture Sets Guitar Hero on Fire

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Interactive Sculpture Sets Guitar Hero on Fire

FireHero gives the phrase "the devil's music" a whole new meaning.

What you see here is an interactive sculpture created by Chris Marion [http://www.chrismarion.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121:firehero&catid=43:pyrotechnics&Itemid=226], who read about propane fire poofers once upon a time and longed to do something with them that wasn't just a constant, unchanging fireball.

The solution? Hook it up to Guitar Hero, apparently. In a week's time, Marion had concepted his idea - hook a Guitar Hero controller up to a second microcontroller "that would power some relays which would in turn fire off solenoid valves on five individual fire poofers." In other words, whatever buttons the Guitar Hero rock star hit would ignite the flames, creating a real-world mirror of the song's note chart.

Ironically, these blazingly hot videos may be one of the coolest things you'll see all month.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/07/firehero-brings-the-danger-back-to-video-game-rock/])

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm going to be honest, a tinge of disappointment fell over me when it turned out that a Guitar Hero game was not lit on fire.

I got over it because of the sheer awesomeness of the video.
Wonder if Harmonix could get a new controller idea out of this?

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
coolest guitar hero i ever seen, well, the only cool guitar hero i ever saw :p

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
RatRace123 said:
I'm going to be honest, a tinge of disappointment fell over me when it turned out that a Guitar Hero game was not lit on fire.
It's okay. I had the same thoughts.

But it is a neat idea.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
That is one of the coolest things i have EVER seen. Where do I buy one!?

Roadies around the world rejoice!

tofulove said:
coolest guitar hero i ever seen, well, the only cool guitar hero i ever saw :p
Don't be player hatin' just because you're all thumbs and no fingers. While Rhythm games may not be art they are much like Mega Man in that they take an amazingly amount of timing, skill and practice to play at higher levels.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
I want to do this with Through the Fire and Flames. Not because I like the song, but because I would run out of gas by the time the solo came around.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RatRace123 said:

I got over it because of the sheer awesomeness of the video.
Wonder if Harmonix could get a new controller idea out of this?
I figured it'd be setting the actual player on fire. ;)

Also, wouldn't it be Neversoft/Activision, since Harmonix does Rock Band now? :p

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
I must say, the pyro in me just squeed very loudly and had a sudden and intense desire to buy Guitar Hero, even though I've always been a Rock Band man.... But this is of course why we don't listen to our inner pyros... well that and the legal implications.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I figured it'd be setting the actual player on fire. ;)

Also, wouldn't it be Neversoft/Activision, since Harmonix does Rock Band now? :p
I figured Harmonix would be the first to introduce the new control type since that's what they did with Rock Band.

And now that I think about it, a guy on fire playing Guitar Hero with that thing would be awesome. And could only be more awesome if the guitar also shot Shurikens and Lightning and the guy had tits.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
This has made my "Top 10 stupidest things you can do with Flamable material".

But, this is also one of the coolest, most technically advanced, and entertaining. So it falls right before "Napalm Hair Jel", but right after, "Alcohol Based Lubricants".

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
You thought the Guitar Hero controller was an expensive accessory? Wait until you see the propane bill on this bad boy!

Pholark

Nov 17, 2010
WELP, I know what I'm doing this weekend.. Seriously though, this made my day hahaha. I even think I may have all the components I need to make this. And I will be using Guitar Hero 1. Not because it's the only one I own, but because it's the only one I've ever really liked. Also, I wonder if someone would be able to do this with the Drum kit from Rock Band 1. Where the bass pedal ignites all 5 flames...

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Now, if the flames can mimic the GRYBO color scheme, then it will be near perfect.
Still, really amazing stuff.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
This must feel like such a wasted opportunity when you realize that you could've used the creation with 'Through The Fire And The Flames' instead of 'Kickstart my Heart'...

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
We need some "Through Fire and Flames." Get it? Because it's a really hard song to play in Guitar Hero. Also, I think there's a fire pun in there some where. I don't know.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Madmanonfire said:
Now, if the flames can mimic the GRYBO color scheme, then it will be near perfect.
Still, really amazing stuff.
That actually wouldn't even be that hard to do, just mount a chunk of some simple compounds over the hottest part of the flame: copper sulfate or boron for green, calcium for red, sodium for yellow, arsenic for blue, nothing really need for orange. In all honesty though, you'd need a crapload of those materials to last through a whole song. Still it would be awesome.