Interactivity

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
Obsessive sketch speaks truth, all of that is pretty awesome

Madness series, i think has been a bit overdone, but i'm not sure if thats due to the "fans" making spin-offs or whatnot...
I go on newgrounds mainly for the flash animations, finding the occasional gem.

anyway, i liked this extra punctuation. I remember watching a Bioshock trailer or something, and it was completely in first person, seemed like you were almost playing it and was pretty awesome. Particularly how the daddy got 3 headshots in a row on 3 splicers. But that was a trailer, not a game, so i wasn't expecting to be doing that myself.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
We need to start working words for FSG:TG, that way the "final" name can still have the same acronym of the intent.

Also, Scavenger-dude(ette) should be scavenging for the sake of outfitting identical power-armoured space marines. A look behind the infrastructure of the indestructible armies OF THE FUTURE!

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Good read,I liked Bioshock's opening too.

Any chance we'll get some screenshots of FSG:TG along its development cycle?

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
"Interactivity is the unique selling point of gaming as an artistic medium, the thing that sets it apart from every other form of storytelling..."

Slightly off-topic, but this is what more or less what I think of whenever somebody starts talking about how Game X should be made into a movie, right after I get done reminding said somebody that video-game movies have always sucked balls.

Also, I too want to play Fun Space Game. Also also, I don't see anything wrong with that title--it tells you everything you need to know, right? It's a nice change of pace from, like, "Dark Star" or "Warp Quest" or those other generic space-game titles I can't think of at the moment.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
You Make a good point about Bioshock. I also think that it is the greatest intro to a game ever. And I mean that in a totally non-fanboy way. The moment the windows open and Rapture looms into view borders on poetic, and it still feels me with a sense of awe even after so many times. Ryan's monologue is absolutely perfect, so chilling, yet so powerful.

I also love the way that Fun Space Game: The Game is shaping up, I can't wait to play it. And if I may make a humble suggestion: what if you added Descent-est parts, like you have to find your way through a maze of passageways in the big Wheel ship to blow it up/collect whatever. It could add some interesting gameplay, and we really need a Descent 4!

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Rocketboy13 said:
I definately like your take on how Bioshock 2 should have opened, that sounds very entertaining. Though fully interactive openers get to be a bit tedious on the second or third play through.
Agreed. The ability to play an opening to a game, or at least wrapped in the illusion, is often great, but ones that are too long are tedious. BioShock works so well because it's such a replayable title. I've played it 10 times and never has the opening made me irritated. It's such a powerful opening as well. I don't think the initial impact being lost the 2nd time makes it any less stern. The jarring nature of the plane crash, the goosebumps-inducing transition to a detailed shot of Rapture and the frankly painful 'first plasmid's always a kick from a mule' experience (where the controller vibrates so violently it could dislodge your entire skeletal structure) open the game in such a way that it supports the entire experience. Oh, without a doubt BioShock has the best opening to any game I've ever played. Why? Because it almost immediately transforms you into the protagonist. BioShock 2 felt like you're simply pulling Delta's strings.

Though, to be fair, watching the BioShock 2 opening with a good set of headphones on is quite terrifying, since the game does execute the whole 'shoot yourself in the head' somewhat effectively. The power of headphones. Automatically raises immersion up 50%.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Actually, Yahtzee is on to something here. It WOULD have been a much better sequence if you had been allowed to stumble about the crowd for a bit, seeing their reactions, poking on people, seeing them completely FREAK OUT as a Big Daddy is sniffing on their necks.
Then BAM, you hear Eleanor screaming, you run after her, beat up some easy baddies, and WHAM, you're back into cutscene land where you need to blow your head off.

Crap, that would have been a much better intro. 2K! Fix this!

(For the record, I thought Eleanors scream in the beginnning was pretty heart-shattering. "DADDY..!!")

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Have to agree about the Bioshock one opening. I generally avoid FPS games but after playing the intro on a demo I went and bought the game the next day.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Mass Effect 2 still has the best introduction cinematic I've ever seen, in my opinion. While it's not fully interactive, it's still cinematic as fuck.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
I'ld have to go with Half-Life 2 for great intro sequence.
Here you are on a train armed with nothing but a phd and girly scientist....arms.
Crawling through the Combine controlled streets, your only venue of fighting back is throwing a can at a guard and running away (very symbolic imo).
Granted this was a very long intro sequence, depending how you interpret it.

Anywho, I like the Wheel name. Maybe add onto it another element associated with progression of technology, metal.
Like, Bronze Wheel or something.

Quickening666

May 7, 2008
Really loved reading through your thought process in creating your new game Ben. It's very inspiring and I love the organic way you go about coming up with concepts. Can't wait to read more about the game as it develops.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
j0z said:
You Make a good point about Bioshock. I also think that it is the greatest intro to a game ever. And I mean that in a totally non-fanboy way. The moment the windows open and Rapture looms into view borders on poetic, and it still feels me with a sense of awe even after so many times. Ryan's monologue is absolutely perfect, so chilling, yet so powerful.

I also love the way that Fun Space Game: The Game is shaping up, I can't wait to play it. And if I may make a humble suggestion: what if you added Descent-est parts, like you have to find your way through a maze of passageways in the big Wheel ship to blow it up/collect whatever. It could add some interesting gameplay, and we really need a Descent 4!
well a fun space game should be like SpaceRangers 2:reboot, but with better graphics...

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I really don't share the same enthusiasm that Yahtzee does for Valve's ideas of interactivity. To me, being able to walk about in circles while waiting for the cutscene to finish is actually mildly worse than being able to, because it tends to mean that you'll potentially miss parts of the cutscene. There is not substantial interaction there when you are allowed to mill about; the few tricks which game developers have done (I'm thinking of knocking over the computer monitors during a cutscene in Half Life 2) are mostly cosmetic reactions that affect nothing else within the game.

Bioshock's intro sequence was good, but being able to look around to see the inside of the dive submersible (whatever it was called) is simply not a notable feature IMO. Freedom of movement is only as valuable as the environment you move about in, and the vast majority of games have pretty static environments - especially linear ones like Bioshock or Valve's games. To me, Valve's environments are detailed, but still pretty static and not the huge leap forward that many reviewers perceive them to be.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Space Jawa said:
and you should see some of the dross they give 5 stars to
I don't spend enough time on Newgrounds to pay attention to ratings like that, but I've seen the same effect on sites like Youtube and Kongregate. I know exactly what you're talking about. Some people will give 5 stars to anything.
I did, once, spend an embarrassing amount of time on Newgrounds looking for new games to play and inspiration to start my own. Alas, none of my ideas got off the ground, and I suspect the would have been too wordy and puzzle-based for the likes of some people out there.

It seems, however, that things have not changed.

Looking forward to what the plot & themes are in Fun Space Game: The Game.

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
Can't complain about the Bioshock opening either, other than what Yahtzee already pointed out: That totally out of place opening monologue from Jack... doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why intro a character that you keep completely mute for the rest of the game? I guess it could be interpreted as a cheap trick to throw you off the TOTALLY AWESOME twist late in the game, but still. And how much did the pay that voice actor. "Hey, you'll be voicing the playable character in Bioshock. You'll get paid up front. Got change for a twenty?"

Half-Life 2 just barely squeezes out a win for me here though. They both do an incredible job of introducing the player to the game world, and freak the player out royally as well. But half-life 2 did a much better job of leaving it up to the player, so to speak. Whereas in Bioshock you move through several beautiful set-pieces, I always felt like I was being carefully guided to the next part. Yes I had player control, but it was still very controlled and linear.

In HL2 you walk into that square in City 17, and look around, and BAM. The game achieves awesomeness. You need to find your way through the city and the apartments. Sure there's still a set of specific things that need to eventually happen (that's how a story works...), but I never felt forced to do any of the things that were happening. So yeah, HL just barely wins it for me.