Internet Identity

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I thought I'd get a psychological discussion going regarding people's identities on the internet. Everyone knows the great thing about the internet is that you can be whoever you want to. Tell people all about your life, make up a fantasy life, or not say anything at all. But what do you suppose effects people's decisions on what to share? Obviously that probably depends on what you're sharing it on, your profile on the Escapist might be a lot different from your profile on say a sexual fetish forum.

I figure there are plenty of things to consider when making such a decision. Security is a growing issue with sharing personal information, especially with the ability to trace people's IP addresses, which could turn a soured internet relationship into a very real and possibly dangerous real-life relationship.

An issue I'm particularly interested in is manipulating your identity to influence what people think of you. Someone might make themselves sound a lot older, more inteligent, and more important than they actually are to give their posts more influence and credibility. Some people (like me) might not want to share their age so that people don't look down on them or dismiss what they say for being young. Knowing who a person is and what their background/goals are is crucial for interpreting what they say. Consider something simple, like a joke. Say that ordinarily you would find the joke funny and intelligent. But what if only little kids said the joke, and did so constantly? One might grow to consider the joke immature simply because of who says it.

This is why the internet is so special as a medium for communication. Without voices, faces, or bodies, the words typed on forums or blogs can truly be seen for what they are. With so many 'pure' ideas, the internet becomes unparalleled in its ability to influence masses of people. Or does it? Every time a site like the Escapist invites you to customize your profile and share information about yourself, it is polluting this environment. Many people decide to go along with this and let the people they are talking to get to know them, as is natural in human relationships. But each person decides how what and how much they are going to share, based on what best fits their needs.

But am I saying that every person who shares their opinion on the internet should be an unreadable, nameless face? Certainly not, perhaps the opposite. Even the most intelligent people need to know what to believe and what to let influence them. This would usually be based on the person they're listening to. Do you really want to be lectured unknowingly on global politics by a 9 year old? Even a smart one? The potential lack of true identities on the internet corrupts this process, which could lead to some very misguided and ultimately harmful motions in people's opinions.

My brain hurts now so I'll probably be back to say some more, but now I leave the floor to you. What do you think about internet identities? A golden opportunity for a pure sharing of ideas? A blight upon your rights to know who and what you are listening to? Discuss.

(By the way I'm thinking about starting a research paper on this subject so do try to keep things intelligent. And if you say something really profound, I might even quote you! Probably not, though.)

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
The only difference between myself in the real world and myself on the Internet? I'm more articulate on here and I don't have that damn speech impediment of sorts that refuses to leave me alone to the point where I have to FORCE the word that's blocked out.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
I am the opposite to most people, while talking to people in the flesh I am rude, annoying and I think after I talk. However on the internet I am calm, well spoken and think out everything I say.

kateatsmouse

Apr 15, 2008
In real life? I'm generally the most awkward person in the room. I talk too much when I get to know people and don't say anything at all to people I don't know.
On the internet? I'm awkward, but I try to be super polite and not tick people off. So... basically I'm the same person both online and in the real world.

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
Until I reached 16 I felt the need to lie about my age - simply because no matter how valid a point you make is, it doesn't change the fact that the opinion of a minor is not appreciated, wanted, or valued by a suprising majority of people on the internet.

Even those that don't hold this prejudice tend to have their opinion of the minor's point marred by their age.

The problem with this is that any prejudice on the internet tends to be subconscious and learnt - unless someone is, say, an active campaigner against their hated party of choice, then most prejudices they have are from their background, traditions or culture, or learnt socially through their environment - they do not make a conscious decison to have a fairly poor opinion of another poster. This means that no matter how nice a person they are, this fairly subconscious reaction is beyond help; if a fellow poster has a slight problem towards your race, gender or age then there isn't really any helping that.

So I can fully understand why many people lie about their identity on the internet, as it can become necessary; I have a few female friends on Xbox Live who refrain from using their mics in public games or matches because upon speaking they are met with several "Oh my God are you a GIRL?!" comments, followed by a dozen friend requests. Therefore these players have to let others assume they are male in order to actually enjoy a game or two in peace.

So in many cases, whilst it should not be required, it is necessary to lie, or omit facts, about your identity; there's a reason I don't tell people I'm a medicated, clinically diagnosed paranoid depressive, for example - I don't lie, but if I went around telling people this they would most likely make a prejudiced assumption about it. The same applies to certain people in regards to their gender, race, dialect/accent, and so on.

So whilst we should not have to, by any means, have to remain anonymous on the internet, it is in many situations required, not just for personal safety, but also for what little peace and security of mind can be had without facing a form of prejudice.

Lord Frunkamunch

Apr 29, 2008
I've definitely got several personalities for online interactions. Usually I'm intelligent/sarcastic (because while hesitating to think of a phrase in a real conversation would make an awkward silence, I was think over and revise posts as many times as I want. Which means I can afford to be a smartass)

In real life, I don't talk much. On the internet I voice my opinion whenever I can do so sarcastically while beating down the opponents debate amidst barely-disguised ad hominems. I'm either playing the levelheaded peacekeeper or being a dick.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Well, In real life I'm nice, online I'm nice. I'll ***** on both online and real life if something pisses me off. *Such Fur Farming, Boo with fur Farming!* but In real life I'm A LOT more shy, so I hardly ever actually meet people.

I my self hate people that have to make their life sound better online by lying about it, and then making it sound like a drama afterwards.

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
I once tried to do a case study on the issue but really as deep as you can think It might be it isn't,Though I am positive some psychology student is thinking I could hit gold with a book about the internet. The catch is the answer is just so simple if you think everyone is a brain in a jar, I mean there is no age/sex/race or anything to judge a person on. The only thing that matters is the viewpoint of the brain in the jar good or bad. What I find amazing is how even when you think in the matter people are more free online you still get the same stereotypes as you do in real life online. Meaning femmine/masculine behavior even when it all takes place on a digital brain in a jar mindset.

Though I think you'll always have the wanting to live another life types,I think why before the internet you had the pen pal type messaging and also Pen and Paper type roleplaying.But overall I think most people do not try to make a completely different internet identity if only as we get more digital as a culture people your online identity becomes fussed to your real life Identity. I mean look at all this new "facebook drama" and so on in culture or some jobs checking up on peoples myspaces to see what there employees are really doing.

I firmly believe that as time goes by your real world identity and online identity will be the same if only due to how in the future interacting digital will become a bigger part of life,Then it will be humiliation on the persons part when they get hired because of X and find out in real life they are Y.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
I have learned (mostly) not to shoot off my mouth on the Internet. In real life? Not so much. I'm also much, much better looking on the Internet, and less of a hyper spaz. I have an Edit button on the Internet, too, and wish I had one in real life.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
I think my internet posting and networking habits are pretty true to real life. Even when talking to people I attempt to be as articulate as possible and I think I'm a pretty nice, level headed, rational person. I don't bother lying about my life on the internet because frankly I don't see the point and it's too much effort to think bullshit stories up.

Only difference from real life and on forums such as this one is although I harbour no prejudice or malice for people of other races, genders or physical stature, I do tell and hear quite a few prejudice based jokes, which I refrain from here for fear of the almighty banhammer.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
Everything about me here is really no different than how I am in real life. Even though I'm granted anonymity online I see no reason to make myself into someone else. The only possible differences between my real life behavior and my internet behavior is that I'm bolder online thanks to the aforementioned anonymity.

vlanitak

Sep 4, 2008
On the internet I like to Imagen that I am who I am and thats basically it (except from my user names of course who are totally random)

Oh and my user names are: Spacemarine_E, Loken and mostly Vlanitak (except @ youtube where my friend stole that name, I am there Ese1230) Feel free to find these names around and see what I am doing atm (mostly playing Freelancer online on the Voidserver www.voidserver.com)

Have a good day Anons out there.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
I've actually made quite an effort to avoid giving away my age. Partially due to the fact that knowing my age and 'Johnn Johnston' can help a lot when trying to get into my accounts (including online banking systems).

Zemnexx

May 24, 2008
My identity on the internet and in real life are pretty much the same, Im just a tad more shyer in real life than on the internet.

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
On the internet I'm generally not afraid to say what I think.
In real life, I'm lucky if I can get a good comeback against someone who's being a dick.
Never tell anyone my age, because then they'd take the piss out of me. So what if I'm younger than all the people on that site? My spelling and grammar are a darn site better, I can tell you that.
(By the way, I AM actually this arrogant in real life~)