Internet Stalking

TheNewGuy

Nov 18, 2012
I've been wondering recently what exactly stalking someone online entails. I had a conversation with a friend about it, we talked about what stalking someone online would consist of. So the question I have is what exactly does it mean to stalk someone online?

When I talked to my friend about it he wasn't really able to give me a good answer so I thought I would ask people online. Where does it get to the point where you are actually stalking someone? Do you have to know them for it to be considered stalking, or is it only stalking if you don't know them.
For example: if you were look back at someone's posts to find out more about them on a forum, is that considered stalking? If you meet a person on a website and try to find stuff out about them on up on Google or something is that considered stalking?

When I talked to my friend about it he wasn't really able to give me a good answer so I thought I would ask people online. I'm curious what the Escapist thinks here does it get to the point where you are stalking someone? I'm curious for any thoughts on the matter.

And just for extra discussion: Have you ever been stalked online that you know about? Have you ever stalked anyone on the internet?

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Looking up someone's info, such as checking out their Facebook page or their Escapist profile isn't stalking: You're simply looking up info that is presented for that very purpose--to give the public info about you.

Stalking is more a matter of digging up info beyond the norm. There are sites available which allow you to track down old friends you've lost contact with--for a price. I'd say that following that path is the start of it: Looking up an old acquaintance is okay, but looking up info on someone who doesn't know you or--and this is a key point--you wouldn't tell them to their face what you were doing--that's stalking.

I'd go so far as to say that's the real key: Doing anything you wouldn't admit to the person you're looking up info on.[footnote]Unless you're looking up info on your Nemesis. That's okay. That's war. [/footnote]

To the best of my knowledge I've never been stalked, though Evil Smurf and Tizzy the Tormentor occasionally make me wonder...especially Tizzy. He's never forgiven me for not using that avatar he sent me that I requested.

I swear my Shadow Bunny keeps scaring the Limbo Kitty he sent me away! The avatar just won't load! It's like it's jinxed or something!

But Tizzy...he won't let it go!

...Tizzy...

Damn, you've got me feeling paranoid now, OP!!!

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
No. I don't stalk profiles on the Internet as it personally ashames me alot. However, it's some of the Internet's fault here, as people think stupid things trying to post stuff they shouldn't be on the Internet. And I don't think anyone's stalked me either. Maybe I'm just that unnoticeable, hence my username.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I'd say when you start looking for information about them outside the website you meet them on.
Say I meet some chap on the escapist, looking at his profile is fine but going through his facebook, steam, and other accounts to get as much information as possible is where stalking takes place.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Well, to stalk somebody online, you'll be trying to unearth more than just their profile info. Especially if you try to get information they haven't shared about themselves (say, their Fb info, if not linked, other of their accounts on other sites, again, if not really shared, or even email addresses). Looking through somebody's post history isn't stalking by itself but it depends why you're doing it and it could be a start. Pretty much like real-life stalking, it's an obsession that goes beyond what one would find acceptable.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I did it once just to see how easy it was. Was screwing around on a minecraft server and getting bored of it, and the person running it was one of those kind of obvious guys pretending to be female. So when the inevitable "hey if you want to donate here's my paypal acct." rolled out, I used my elite hacker toolkit(www.google.com) to look for other places the email address was used. Went to a facebook and deviant art of some really effeminate gay guy(as in, openly advertising it).

Long story short, I just dumped it all in the server chat while everyone was on and logged out and never went back.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
I have a friend who is an internet stalker.
She gets things like full name, address, school, everything.
She gets everything.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'll agree with the whole going beyond what's plainly and openly presented aspect, but I'd add that there's sort of a "how often" element as well. Check someone's FB page, even just the public stuff, out once because you came across the person once and think they seemed cool? Not stalking. Checking their FB page (once again, even just the public stuff) repeatedly to see what they're up to and to track changes? That's more into the stalker side of things.

Oct 27, 2010
People put their info on the internet to be found. If you're looking at profiles, reading a blog, etc, that's not stalking. It's far from it. If you're on the net, you shouldn't be sharing things you don't want to be seen anyways.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
You can know them and still be a stalker -- just like you can stalk people with whom you've never had contact.

It all depends on how thorough you are. :p

And I hope I've been stalked. Otherwise, what are y'all doing on my internet if you're not stalking me?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I think a good rule is that if they deliberately made the information available, looking it up isn't stalking. Going out of your way to find information that they DIDN'T intend to make public is stalking.

I don't really get stalking though, are people really that interesting?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
From Wikipedia: "Stalking is a term commonly used to refer to unwanted or obsessive attention by an individual or group toward another person. Stalking behaviors are related to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person or monitoring them. The word stalking is used, with some differing meanings, in psychology and psychiatry and also in some legal jurisdictions as a term for a criminal offense.

According to a 2002 report by the National Center for Victims of Crime, "Virtually any unwanted contact between two people [that intends] to directly or indirectly communicates a threat or places the victim in fear can be considered stalking"[1] although in practice the legal standard is usually somewhat more strict."

So basically... unless you're actively making another person uncomfortable it isn't stalking, by the legal definition... kinda makes sense, how could you complain about being stalked if you don't know youre being stalked.

Anyway, it's the internet. I tend to believe anything a human being puts on the internet that isn't password protected (or shielded from the public in some way) to be fair game. It's like the person going to a park and hanging shit on the trees, there is no illusion of privacy. Same reason I linked my facebook/twitter/Escapist profiles with my real name, because hell why try and hide it? Go ahead, ye gods, this is me. I can't change it. Judge me accordingly.

As for if I do it? Uh yeah, why wouldn't I google their name and look around a tad? Not only is it a helpful tool, it also helps you avoid certain things like getting stabbed or what not.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Copper Zen said:
I'd go so far as to say that's the real key: Doing anything you wouldn't admit to the person you're looking up info on.
I hate to that guy who just quotes another post without coming up with an original idea or thought to add to the discussion, but ^ that guy pretty much nailed it. Would I be comfortable sharing the information I have gathered with said person.

And out curiosity ( though I am sure I will be terrified at the result) could somebody gather info on me and send me a private message. I would be interested to know how much personal info is out there and how much you can gather given only this escapist account.