Interplay is Now Offering its "Significant IP Portfolio" for Sale

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Giants: Citizen Kabuto was such an awesome and overlooked game..
Great singleplayer AND fun multiplayer.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Someone buy Descent, and make it into a vomit inducing VR game! Puke everywhere!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Saelune said:
Someone buy Descent, and make it into a vomit inducing VR game! Puke everywhere!
The company was approached by an Interplay shareholder in December who set up a meeting with the CEO of Interplay and Descendent Studios.[3] A deal was then struck to license the Descent name to Descendent Studios.
Meaning if the property is sold elsewhere, and it almost certainly will be, that means that this agreement will be promptly stopped dead in its tracks by the legal team of its new IP holder.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
viranimus said:
Saelune said:
The company was approached by an Interplay shareholder in December who set up a meeting with the CEO of Interplay and Descendent Studios.[3] A deal was then struck to license the Descent name to Descendent Studios.
Meaning if the property is sold elsewhere, and it almost certainly will be, that means that this agreement will be promptly stopped dead in its tracks by the legal team of its new IP holder.
Um...ok?

Was this company trying to make a VR Descent?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Kajin said:
Dammit, Volition now's your chance! Acquire the rights to Freespace and make that third game!
That would be awesome, and the answer to all my questions of "what game franchise would you like revisit?"

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Last I heard the original Descent guys were making a spiritual successor called Overload and I wonder if they will try to scoop up the original IP. If nothing else they would have a less horribly generic title.

Also someone buy the Freespace IP and hire the Blue Planet guys (massive fanmade mod of unprecedented quality that functions as a unofficial Freespace 3 for those who don't know) to work on it.

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
Kajin said:
Dammit, Volition now's your chance! Acquire the rights to Freespace and make that third game!
That was pretty much my first thought while reading the story. I would absolutely love to play a new Freespace game.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I wonder who will get Shattered Steel and if they would even care. Would it be bought in bulk and forgotten?

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
Saelune said:
VR FPS Earthworm Jim where you are still seeing through his eyes when you do the whip attack. Over and over and over.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
ffronw said:
Personally, I would love to see someone pick up Giants: Citizen Kabuto and make a new game in that series.
I think Evolve was almost an attempt to do that. At the least, one could make a case for Giants as a fore-runner of asymmetric multiplayer.

As far as the announcement itself, I think Interplay has clung to the notion that it was a game-making company for too long. There are a few individual titles in its catalog that still spark some nostalgia, but most of the titles and creators that gamers had a real desire to follow have already moved on, one way or another. Fallout has for all serious intents and purposes moved to Bethesda, Wasteland has passed to those who were most likely to make a run of it, the various D&D licenses aren't coming back, Earthworm Jim and MDK managed to crash and burn fairly hard before Interplay itself gave up on them...

Really, the only thing they still have that I can think might still have some value would be Descent. And with controversy surrounding both Star Citizen and No Man's Sky, this isn't exactly the best time to put out a space-piloter. Nor, I suspect, is the actual Descent engine something anyone wants to try to polish back to life at this point.

Bluntly, the good wine has mostly been drunk, and what's left in the cellar has turned to vinegar. I still feel a twinge of nostalgia for a once-great game company, but I wouldn't count on that small twinge actually selling me anything.

You can bet the sale will make for some headaches for GOG, though... Wheeeeeee...

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Finally I can get a sequel to the superb Mario Teaches Typing. Rock solid mechanics. Interplay's love for the venerable platformer really shone through with that gem.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Dear Nordic,
Please, buy all of that shit and make something good out of it.
Sincerely yours
RT.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Kajin said:
This was my first thought, too.
The second was "Wait, do the HardLight people know about this?"

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
MCerberus said:
Just for fun, imagine EA buys and makes a mobile game of each property
Something like that is most likely what will happen. The IPs will go to the highest bidder. Which will be established AAA Studios. Which will most likely try and milk the shit out of those franchises. I don't know if any good games will come from this, if any at all.

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
fractal_butterfly said:
MCerberus said:
Something like that is most likely what will happen. The IPs will go to the highest bidder. Which will be established AAA Studios. Which will most likely try and milk the shit out of those franchises. I don't know if any good games will come from this, if any at all.
Probably none, I mean look at what happened with Evil Genius when it got bought: Terrible facebook game. Dungeon Keeper when EA pulled it from the darkness? Terrible mobile game. Quick, easy, terrible games they can shove a familiar name on for Nostalgia. Activion and EA (specifically, I'm sure others would too) would just continue the trend and release mobile/facebook games they can produce for minimal money and maximum profit.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Kajin said:
Come on man, don't make me hope. Why hasn't (IMO) any space fighter sim been as good as Freespace? I want this so bad. I've been following the Interplay saga for awhile now and after seeing my favorite game company go under, then seeing the resurrected shambling corpse dance around.....sigh, this is all probably for the best. I hate getting my hopes up, but maybe the universe will be kind.

OT: Interplay didn't make it but they published it. Does anyone remember Hardwar?

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
If they don't remake MDK then I don't give a damn.

MCerberus said:
I wish this forum was a physical place, so that there were a door to show you.