Intro to D&D

Edwardsjack

Aug 30, 2009
My friends have been tring to get me to play D&d with them, but I don't really know what it really is. I was hoping to find some kind of video on youtube that could show an acutal game. All I found was a independent flim called the Gamers 2, which only made me wanting more infomation. I'm asking if anyone knows where I can find a video(s) of a full game of D&D.

PS If you like fantasy, watch the the Gamers 2, its awesome.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
By the gods this series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/i-hit-it-with-my-axe] now holds a purpose.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Well, I wouldn't suggest watching a full game of D&D because of how long it would take. It's played out with dice, but the greatest part of it is the complete malleability of it. With a good dungeon master (guy running the game) it can be one of the most fun games you'll play.

This is pretty much how it goes down...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
fanklok said:
By the gods this series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/i-hit-it-with-my-axe] now holds a purpose.
I'm not sure that "series" holds any purpose at all...

OT: Just get the Player's Handbook. It's good stuff, and it's a great game, but the player's manual has everything you need to know for an introduction to the game, and more. It should be at any bookstore, and is probably online somewhere as well (but I never told you that).

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
I would personally watch the show here on The Escapist called "I Hit It With My Ax". It's about as close to a good DnD vid as you are going to get.

As for what DnD is. It is basically an RPG game that is played using books, pencil, and Paper. the fun part of the game is using your imagination to see the world around you. If you have ever played any sort of RPG game like say Zelda or even Morrowind you have played a video game version of DnD. Generally the first meeting is to set up your characters so you will roll dice to decided on hit points, armor points, and other such things. Then once that is done you can begin the adventure.

Like I said before though if you want a visual of what DnD is then just watch the series i mentioned before. I think it will give you a pretty good idea of what DnD is.

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Well, I wouldn't suggest watching a full game of D&D because of how long it would take. It's played out with dice, but the greatest part of it is the complete malleability of it. With a good dungeon master (guy running the game) it can be one of the most fun games you'll play.

This is pretty much how it goes down...

Yeah that's pretty much exactly how a game goes down with my group. Of course I'm playing a Flind Gnoll Druid in an almost completely human group. :p

TheSquirrelisKing

Mar 23, 2010
Thaius said:
fanklok said:
I'm not sure that "series" holds any purpose at all...

OT: Just get the Player's Handbook. It's good stuff, and it's a great game, but the player's manual has everything you need to know for an introduction to the game, and more. It should be at any bookstore, and is probably online somewhere as well (but I never told you that).
What he said, but really, try not to get bogged down with all the rules at first, just have fun, everyone else will help you with the rules as you go, and it's not that hard to pick up on most stuff. God help you if you try to grapple anything though...*shivers*

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
watching someone play D&d is like watching someone fish it's boring if you just watch it, you won't know the enjoment of it, try playing. the only thing you have to lose is an evening you'll never get back.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
If you have a half-decent imagination, you can play D&D. You don't need instructional videos. Just go in with a good set of dice and an urge to have a good time, and you will.

If you ever played pretend as a kid, then you've basically played D&D. The only difference is that in D&D there are rules, so that none of that "I got you!"/"Nuh-uh! You missed!"/"No way! I TOTALLY got you!"/"No, you DIDN'T!" stuff gets in the way.

Also, 2nd Edition, ftw.

<-----Old fogey.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
MystRunner said:
Yeah that's pretty much exactly how a game goes down with my group. Of course I'm playing a Flind Gnoll Druid in an almost completely human group. :p
Haha I know what you mean. Most of the people I knew were normal archtypes. Whenever I was an something normal, I always had to twist it. Half-orc rogue who pretended to be a brute until he got into a fight, or a elf druid who was constantly stoned on peyote, or a kobold sorcerer who had to make balance checks every step because he wore stilts and a big cloak to hide what he really was.

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:
Haha I know what you mean. Most of the people I knew were normal archtypes. Whenever I was an something normal, I always had to twist it. Half-orc rogue who pretended to be a brute until he got into a fight, or a elf druid who was constantly stoned on peyote, or a kobold sorcerer who had to make balance checks every step because he wore stilts and a big cloak to hide what he really was.
Apparently my DM has something planned for my character. I still don't know what it is but I'm kinda scared. Granted my character was a former slave who had been bought out of servitude by an old druid and taught how to be a druid. Of course being a Gnoll the very first game I nearly got shot when I walked into a bar. :p

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:
Ah, so you guys are 'that guy' of your respective groups then, huh?

The one guy that always has to be a half-demon or some strange shit that you have to badger the DM about for about an hour before he finally gives in and lets you play it and then your character's super cool backstory somehow becomes the main plot of the campaign and the rest of us normal humans just sit back while you use your 500 inherent race abilities to render anything we may be able to lend to the adventure moot.

I hate that guy. Don't be one of those guys.

If everyone else in your group is playing a human, try to play something without bat wings or horns. Follow the curve. Don't shatter it against your ego.

(I kid, I'm sure you guys are fine, but I've had people like that in my group and it's always been a pain.)

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:

The one guy that always has to be a half-demon or some strange shit that you have to badger the DM about for about an hour before he finally gives in and lets you play it and then your character's super cool backstory somehow becomes the main plot of the campaign and the rest of us normal humans just sit back while you use your 500 inherent race abilities to render anything we may be able to lend to the adventure moot.

If everyone else in your group is playing a human, try to play something without bat wings or horns. Follow the curve. Don't shatter it against your ego.

(I kid, I'm sure you guys are fine, but I've had people like that in my group and it's always been a pain.)
I am not THE SRANGEST person in my group. We have one guy that decided to be a flying snake sorcerer person. He had to include two templates onto his character just to make it. Even after all of that I'm still the strongest person in the group with an AC of 19. Hell the Half Orc Barbarian is only like an AC of 9 or something.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
MystRunner said:
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:

I am not THE SRANGEST person in my group. We have one guy that decided to be a flying snake sorcerer person. He had to include two templates onto his character just to make it. Even after all of that I'm still the strongest person in the group with an AC of 19. Hell the Half Orc Barbarian is only like an AC of 9 or something.
Oh, wait... you guys play 3rd/4th/whateverthehelleditionit'suptonow. Nevermind. That system is MADE to be abused by 'those guys'.

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
MystRunner said:
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:

Oh, wait... you guys play 3rd/4th/whateverthehelleditionit'suptonow. Nevermind. That system is MADE to be abused by 'those guys'.
I'll agree the 4th and 3.5 systems were just made to be abused. It doesn't help when your DM is extremely against 4.0 and wants everybody to have 3.5 edition stuff which is harder than shit to find when you don't have access to ebay

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
MystRunner said:
MystRunner said:
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:

I'll agree the 4th and 3.5 systems were just made to be abused. It doesn't help when your DM is extremely against 4.0 and wants everybody to have 3.5 edition stuff which is harder than shit to find when you don't have access to ebay
Blame WotC for being greedy. I mean, 3 was out for how long before 3.5? And that was how long before 4? I bought 3rd edition to give it a whirl, then said 'eff this' when 3.5 and then 4 came out hot on it's heels.

It's like they're making people pay to playtest their games.

Eff you, WotC. Eff you. TSR FOREVA! (Despite the fact that they obviously weren't forever. /sadface)

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009

Hell no. I was the most NORMAL of the group. A half orc rogue who acts like a brutish thug, but is actually quite dexterous is a "normal" character in a group with a blood demon monk, a half dragon druid, a giant frog who uses bolos, a halfling machinist who is already half cyborg, and an athatch.

Yeah, we had guys with imaginations, and a fantastic GM who could take anything in stride.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
MystRunner said:
MystRunner said:
Johnnyallstar said:
MystRunner said:

I have 3.5 stuff plus I found the books in PDf form that I have on my hard drive. I perfer 3.5 to 4 because they removed alot of the classes and races I loved in 4.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Only <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YrUwDE0HG0>the best game ever!

aaaaanyway, it is a table-top RPG played with dice. It is a d20 system where you roll a twenty sided die to determine what happens in the world whether it be battle or with NPCs.