Introducing the new Doctor

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I like the actress. It's a shame she's going to have to work under Chibnall, who I have very low expectations for as showrunner.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
MrCalavera said:
i'm one of those Elba for Bond dudes.
It's at least ten years too late for that. If he was ever going to be Bond it should have been instead of Daniel Craig, not after him.

The Bond franchise has this bad habit of casting actors older than they should and/or keeping them on for far too long.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Chessrook44 said:
Aaaaah shit.... this is going to bring the SJW and anti-SJW groups out in full force, isn't it? Ugh, time to go hide again...
No, stay, grab a seat and watch the internet burn.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Please be well written. Please be well written. Please be well written.
BreakfastMan said:
I think this is a bad fucking idea. I would have preferred a non-white or non-british doctor over a lady one any day. Mainly because I don't trust the writers not to turn the Doctor regenerating into a women into the most cringey, insufferable [footnote]okay, more cringey and insufferable than current Doctor Who already is[/footnote] thing ever. I mean, the show hasn't been good for at least 5 years now, but this is not going to save it. :\
On one hand, we've got Missy who... wasn't my cup of tea honestly but wasn't bad. On the other, we had the General who made a cringey sexist joke three seconds after regenerating so... coin flip?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
MiskWisk said:
Please be well written. Please be well written. Please be well written.
BreakfastMan said:
I think this is a bad fucking idea. I would have preferred a non-white or non-british doctor over a lady one any day. Mainly because I don't trust the writers not to turn the Doctor regenerating into a women into the most cringey, insufferable [footnote]okay, more cringey and insufferable than current Doctor Who already is[/footnote] thing ever. I mean, the show hasn't been good for at least 5 years now, but this is not going to save it. :\
On one hand, we've got Missy who... wasn't my cup of tea honestly but wasn't bad. On the other, we had the General who made a cringey sexist joke three seconds after regenerating so... coin flip?
I am placing my bets on 13 groping her breasts and making some stupid comment about having a vag in the first 10 seconds she is on screen. Followed by Bill falling head over heels for 13 and them making out 4 episodes later. Also betting on a "Girl Power!" comment some time during 13's first episode.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Im just disappointed its not Richard Ayoade.

I hope her doctor is very unlucky and has bad luck sense shes 13

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I cannot help but to think its going to be a mistake. I get its built into the lore that the 13th would be a woman. However following up what Missy did with the master, there is no way this is going to measure up.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Serious question to any old-Who buffs. Is this whole 'timelords can regenerate as either gender, regardless of previous incarnation' something with an established canon pedigree, or something that has arisen purely in the tragically awful Moffat era (because I don't seem to recall it ever appearing in the RTD era)?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Im just disappointed its not Richard Ayoade.
He's to busy being a shit version of Richard O'Brian on the new Crystal Maze.

Haven't watched Dr Who now for, I dunno when did Matt Smith take over? No real issue with a women Dr, hopefully they will do a decent job with her and that she was selected because they actually wanted to do some good stuff rather than as a side ways attempt at getting people to watch the show because, you know, controversial new Dr.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Shadowstar38 said:
Appropriate that this is the 13th doctor. Good lord!

Hopefully they play it straight and don't give the gender swap too much attention past the initial episode. I'm just interested to see how this Doctor comes off personality wise. Capaldi's been my favorite out of New Who in spite of the material he's given.
I'm hoping for the opposite or what's the point of the gender flip. If it doesn't change anything about the show then it is a pointless act.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I'm totally open to a lady Doctor, but casting Jodie Whittaker specifically makes me uncomfortable because all I can think about her was her appearance in one of Black Mirror's [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Entire_History_of_You] most painful episodes.

I'm sure she'll do a good job; it's not her fault that Charlie Brooker has such a keen sense of what buttons to press to transform a human being into a sobbing pile of boneless meat.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm gonna make a sexist argument for why this is a good thing and why no one should *****: It's everything you love about the Doctor only now you can fuck the Doctor and have it not be gay.

I mean for years female whovians have been able to pine after the Doctor and make him their husbando, damn it I want a turn to whistfully wish I can be rescued away by a madwoman with a box!

Really my only complaint on the casting choice is she's not ginger.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Queen Michael said:
To be honest, I was hoping for Judi Dench.
I would have loved this.

Don't get me wrong, Whittaker is a good choice, but if they could have landed Dench, even for just one series like Eccleston, it would have been wonderful to see.

Whittaker was good in Attack The Block.
She was excellent in broadchurch.
Chibnal, new show runner, came from broadchurch and has a good, established relationship with her in this regard and this will eases the transition to show runner given he'll be able to focus on that while already knowing what he can get from his leading actress.
She's a very good choice considering all the factors.

I'd have still liked Judi though.
Or Joanna Lumley (the curse of the fatal death wasn't enough)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Always knew 13 was an unlucky number :(

That said, I really can't be arsed to get into another debate - Ghostbusters came and went, I liked Ghostbusters, many people didn't, the reboot's attempt at franchise building is effectively dead, move on. At the least, I'll give her a chance. I mean, I did like Missy, even though she never really clicked with me as being the Master per se.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Such a waste that they had such a great actor waste his time in the role with one of the worst writing staff's the franchise has ever had (and given their comments about the show, bad memory too given they couldn't even remember many of the characters they themselves had created).

Though it's good to hear that Moffit is finally gone. Years later then it should have happened, he's a perfect example of nepotism at the BBC. Kill off Bill, make Missy get the retcon she needs to go from horrible character by concept to brilliant one and get rid of literally every member of the writing staff under Moffit and I'll watch it.

I suppose this means the reboot era retcon that they can change sex and race is here to stay, hopefully unlike literally every other time it has been used so far it won't be so horribly handled that how it was handled was in itself the strongest argument against keeping the concept at all. I don't have much faith though, viewers seem to rewards mediocrity and oppose quality.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I don't like a female doctor. He's supposed to be male, and always should be. That being said, I am quite interested in where they take it with a female doctor. I just hope her being female won't affect the story too much. She should still just be "The doctor." Not "The doctor, but FEMALE!!" Like what they did with Ghostbusters...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I have opinions twofold:

1. I have no issue with Time Lords being capable of this. I don't see why a species that frequently regenerates their physical couldn't change sex with each regeneration. I'd even argue that a female Doctor would be a good idea... if it were still the 60's. It just feels too late. With the Master it's different, they're an unhinged character prone to rash acts and suffering deep mental instability, it would be understandable to not have a solid sense of self. Alternatively if you're going to be so flippant with genders, it'd be something you did every couple of regenerations or so like the Corsair. But that isn't the Doctor. The Doctor knows who he is, where he's been and where he's going.

2. There are already well established female Time Lords: Romana, The Rani or Susan. When, in the history of television and film, has a gender swap ever resulted in a superior product? Who does it serve to take an established character and simply change their gender? I might just be approaching that sweet spot of mid-20's, white male crankiness; but it just feels lazy. It's almost like they're saying that they don't have enough faith in female leads or their ability to actually write one, so they're just going to take a male character that everyone already likes and use that as a springboard.

Megalodon said:
Serious question to any old-Who buffs. Is this whole 'timelords can regenerate as either gender, regardless of previous incarnation' something with an established canon pedigree, or something that has arisen purely in the tragically awful Moffat era (because I don't seem to recall it ever appearing in the RTD era)?
To my knowledge, the sex-swapping in regenerations is a NuWho contrivance. If I recall, the first mention we get of such a thing being possible is with The Corsair in The Doctor's Wife which was a Neil Gaiman, Moffat Era episode in 2011. Since then the fanbase has been picking at the thread and now we have this. Though they've been laying the groundwork pretty hard in the last two seasons.