Introspection

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
For me, this one comic is many. Thank you for this gift of a new comic maker. Its nice to actually laugh right now.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Gee wiz if only it was as easy as deciding to stop being depressed! Too bad it makes about as much sense as deciding to stop having cancer.

(This joke is meant to say that like any other disease you can't just force it away with thought. A positive attitude helps, and sometimes you can weather it out with the help of only that. But you wont get "cured" without actual help.)

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Saelune said:
For me, this one comic is many. Thank you for this gift of a new comic maker. Its nice to actually laugh right now.
Same. I've pretty much been doing everything in my power to distract myself from certain... events... and keep my positive outlook on things from outright crumbling. Still teetering, but cute stuff like this helps a lot.

-----------

On the topic of the comic: Yeah, it can probably be viewed as unhealthy in its own right, but the way I see it, just about every single one of us engage in verying degrees of unhealthy behaviors or outlooks, sometimes for the pure sake of keeping other even less healthy behaviors at bay. I mean, hell Grey, your charming British cynicism can be seen as pretty unhealthy, but it's why we love ya!

I'd rather owlturd author be disassociating emotions in nifty little comics than, say, drinking his depression away.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Did Depression and Realism switch minds? That guy's the biggest buzzkill of all. I think Procrastination has the right idea: deal with it later, play video games now.
Seraj33 said:
Gee wiz if only it was as easy as deciding to stop being depressed! Too bad it makes about as much sense as deciding to stop having cancer.

(This joke is meant to say that like any other disease you can't just force it away with thought. A positive attitude helps, and sometimes you can weather it out with the help of only that. But you wont get "cured" without actual help.)
I should tell that to my brother, who ironically has a Bachelors degree in Psychology. I've been depressed since our mom died, and I don't bother hiding it. He acts all upbeat and chipper, but I find that unsettling how easy he makes it look.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Seraj33 said:
They both exist down to the cellular level, yes.... but Depression itself is not caused by an external Radioactive bombardment, Nor is CANCER able to be overcome by rewiring Pathological Cognition. Habitual mental patterning DOES affect your brain down to the chemical level and actually reengineers its synaptic circuitry. I went through this sort of thing myself for a while when dealing with a different kind of chemical deficit disorder in my own brain that one medication stimulated a rebalancing effect over. Later on after leaving all treatment for it, I found that I could still stimulate the same effects of that drug by repeating exercises and habits that were associated with it. So this comic is actually accurate to a degree in that if you wallow in self pity then that eventually becomes what your Hormones adjust to and pretty soon much of your body's production of Dopamine and Melatonin and Endorphines starts being centered mainly around that particular cognitive Path that's based on blaming everyone else but yourself.

I know because I used to do the same thing and wasted probably 10 good years of my life doing it exclusively over the internet starting in the 90's. And the hardest thing to do when you're in that cycle, is actually listen to anyone else who claims that you're doing it to yourself. .... and maybe in some cases, drug therapy is the easiest way to start breaking out of it, but nothing actually changes permanently until your HABITS change.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I finally embraced realism in 2011. How did that work out for me? I went from letting go of old rumors that I was a rapist to someone who is constantly afraid that he soon will be homeless. So thanks realism for utterly destroying my motivation & causing me to relief eat a lot.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
iller3 said:
They both exist down to the cellular level, yes.... but Depression itself is not caused by an external Radioactive bombardment, Nor is CANCER able to be overcome by rewiring Pathological Cognition. Habitual mental patterning DOES affect your brain down to the chemical level and actually reengineers its synaptic circuitry. I went through this sort of thing myself for a while when dealing with a different kind of chemical deficit disorder in my own brain that one medication stimulated a rebalancing effect over. Later on after leaving all treatment for it, I found that I could still stimulate the same effects of that drug by repeating exercises and habits that were associated with it. So this comic is actually accurate to a degree in that if you wallow in self pity then that eventually becomes what your Hormones adjust to and pretty soon much of your body's production of Dopamine and Melatonin and Endorphines starts being centered mainly around that particular cognitive Path that's based on blaming everyone else but yourself.

I know because I used to do the same thing and wasted probably 10 good years of my life doing it exclusively over the internet starting in the 90's. And the hardest thing to do when you're in that cycle, is actually listen to anyone else who claims that you're doing it to yourself. .... and maybe in some cases, drug therapy is the easiest way to start breaking out of it, but nothing actually changes permanently until your HABITS change.
Depression is a highly nebulous and broad disease. Some of it can be overcome by mind over matter, and I've been there, some of it can't - and I've been there too. There's a reason ECT exists, despite how utterly horrible it sounds. There's a reason there are drugs for it, despite the first treatment that's ever tried being CBT [Mind over matter].
Such depression is also characterised by different brain activities and structures, chemical balances, and various other problems.

Also, cancer isn't necessarily caused by external radiation. Some can be, but our body mutates on its own even without that. You're right though that maybe cancer isn't the best example. An addiction might be a better example. Something that is easy to say "Mind over matter" to, but if its a severe addiction you'll undergo physical withdrawal symptoms, and the vast majority will relapse because mind over matter on its own just isn't enough.

Much as its not likely depression will go away without your habits changing, hence CBT, there is no guarantee that it will go away if they do. It is an illness, and mending it by 'mind over matter' doesn't work on its own.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I still like the Nerf This version of the emotions better, because "Penis" is always the one in charge.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Taking something joyful and carefree then making it into something unpleasant and depressing is something I can relate to.
It speaks to me.
Then again, being british, I think that was probably somewhat obvious.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I loved this. I loved OwlTurd Comix, but this comic made me look at it in a completely different way.

On the other hand, I suppose externalizing your internal problems does give you the ability to tell them to "fuck off" when you have the resolve.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Depression is a handicap/sickness, not a way of life or definition of self. But some people certainly do seem to turn it into the later with their attitudes, outlook, and approach to life, regardless if they actually suffer depression or not.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Redlin5 said:
I wonder if we'll see a response. Oooooh, I do love a good old fashioned friendly cartoonist war!
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Oops. Sorry.

Draw! Draw! Draw! Draw!