Invader Zim is Coming Back to TV For One Last Hoorah

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Invader Zim is Coming Back to TV For One Last Hoorah

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1394/1394492.jpg
Nickelodeon is bringing the cult classic Invader Zim back for one final TV movie.

Invader Zim was truly one of the greats of the golden age of Nickelodeon. Tragically short at just two seasons, Zim will now finally get the send-off he deserves with plans to release an exclusive 90-minute TV movie in the coming years.

Entertainment Weekly [http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/04/nickelodeon-invader-zim-tv-movie/] is reporting that four key voice actors will return for the movie: Richard Horvitz (Zim), Rikki Simons (GIR), Andy Berman (Dib), and Melissa Fahn (Gaz).

The Invader Zim movie joins the likes of Hey Arnold! and Rocko's Modern Life, which are also getting TV-movie revivals. This is all happening as part of a Nickelodeon event celebrating 25 years of Nicktoons.

Invader Zim followed the exploits of Zim, an incompetent but determined alien invader who arrives on Earth with imperialistic ambitions to essentially conquer the human race and take over the planet. The show lasted only two seasons but quickly became a cult classic due to its incredibly dark humor.

There's no release date for the Invader Zim movie as of yet, but Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie will launch by the end of the year.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/04/nickelodeon-invader-zim-tv-movie/]

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The cartoon revolution has begun! Puts on face pain and does a battle cry.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
First a return of Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim? Oh, 2017, you spoil us so! Still anxiously waiting on news about The Jungle Movie, though...

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Hmm I wonder how involved Jhonen is with this. Every time I talk to him at Comic Con he makes it sound like he wont ever work with Viacom again. He is writing the comic for Oni so maybe this was part of the contract? If Jhonen isnt writing it then I will just stick with the comic.

Feb 7, 2016
The cartoon that became the face of the early 2000's emo scene, and one of the few cartoons my mother actually enjoyed watching with me.

I remember one year we got two seasons on DVD one Christmas and my mother sat and watched the entirety of them with us all day.

It's also one of the few nostalgic cartoons I watched as a kid that I genuinely still find hilarious, other than Ed, Edd 'n, Eddy.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Hehehehe...
YES! YES! YES!

Ahem...
This is a good thing. Now, if no one minds, I'm going to sing the Doom song now.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
What do you mean that the series was too short? Zim was short. Therefore, it was the perfect length. Just like our glorious conqueror is the perfect height.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
What's with this sudden revival of old shows? X files, Twin Peaks, Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim. I mean I get cashing in on the nostalgia, but it's weird to bring back these shows after they've been gone for decades in some cases.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I tried reading the comic, it was kind of funny, but not enough to keep paying four dollars a month for. I'll probably see the movie, and I did love the series, I'm just hoping we get something worth while, not just nostalgia cash grabs. Wow, I'm normally trying to at least be a little positive, I guess this show's status as the emo mascot made me a little more hard on it, and I guess I've become a bit jaded, despite still being a great show. A little sad, I suppose.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Any word on what the artist thought of this? He was notorious for hating his time at Nickelodeon.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First Samurai Jack and now this?

If anymore cancelled shows come back from cancelville then 2017 will be the year of the rivial of old cartoon coming back!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
CoCage said:
A Renaissance, almost as literally as you can get it. Not a revolution.
Dirty Hipsters said:
What's with this sudden revival of old shows? X files, Twin Peaks, Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim. I mean I get cashing in on the nostalgia, but it's weird to bring back these shows after they've been gone for decades in some cases.
You answered your own question there. The Millennial crowd craves nostalgia because, well, the world is was it is today.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cowabungaa said:
CoCage said:
A Renaissance, almost as literally as you can get it. Not a revolution.
Still counts either way. The Renaissance is a new (or old) wave of older properties combing back under their original creators. The revolution is showing how most cartoons have been lacking these days.

The only good cartoons on are: Star Wars: Rebels, Star vs. Force of Evil, Steven Universe, Gumball, Milo Murphy, Loud House, and the new Voltron (Netflix). Those numbers are very small compared to what we had in the 80s, 90s, and the early to mid 2000s. The problem with most cartoons is let's have all of our characters be like idiots or total asshats, still expect to like, sympathize, or find them funny. I am looking at you Teen Titans Go and PPG (2016). If I wanted another Johnny Test, I would have asked for it. There is also a lack of good action shows unless your name is Star Wars or a Marvel property. Can we please have so original animated action shows not under those labels.

Now all we need is that Hey Arnold movie, and I am all set!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've been loving the comic series and after spending years watching and re-watching the DVD collections I'm curious to see how much they're going to stick to the original idea they had for an Invader Zim movie...what, 15 years ago? Since they won't be included in the Nicktoons movie I hope to hear something about a stand-alone Ren & Stempy movie...kinda...Adult Party Something was a show that I remember being not great.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Dirty Hipsters said:
Its not sudden, it never stopped. Brady Bunch and Beverly Hillbillies had been gone for years, they got movies.

Honeymooners, Transformers, etc, its just now the 90's turn at this shit.

WHY COULDNT YOU LEAVE IT TO ITS MOOSY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE