Invasion of American done to death?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Has anyone else felt that the whole idea of America being invaded sort of overdone? I'm not just talking about recent games but also some instances of older games. The concept of America being invaded has been around for quite some time in video games and movies, great examples would be the movie Red Dawn and games like World in Conflict, MW2, and Homefront. I'm sure there are many other examples too. The question is why do people feel that this concept is new and profound and try to make a game based around this as its selling point?

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
I wouldn't say it was particularly overdone. Not yet, anyway. Really though, i'd like to see a take on the concept that didn't come down to jingoistic nonsense about teary eyed marines and billowing flags.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Because what's even more common is the story of how America barges in and saves the day.

ArcanePedro

Jun 7, 2010
I'd put this re-emergence down to changing political powers, when there was a major threat to the USA's 'throne' in the form of the Soviet Union there were films and stuff made (Red Dawn etc)
Therefore now, when the USA is slowly becoming less and less of the superpower it once was, the threat is rising and invasion scenario's are beocming more and more plausible (not the one's mentioned in the games but an invasion in general)
Alternatively it's due to the cyclical nature of the media and trends, everything comes back into fashion eventually, well, most things anyway.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Seems like developers want a hot button macguffin, or maybe a lukewarm topic. I think it's still different enough (for now) so they can plug a crap story.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
It's one in a set of USA wet-dreams and it's quite common because, to a very large amount of people (including people of other nations), it's a highly intriguing premise. Imagine, one of the most powerful nations in the world faces off in an apocalyptic war against another equally powerful nation. Obviously the US of A is the best candidate for this even for foreign audiences as it's an extremely well known country. Very few other countries can match, at least in the western world. It's not uncommon that people of other nations know more about USA than they know about where they themselves come from.

What I am truly tired off from all these depictions of this "final war", is that the bad guys are virtually always the same, and rarely if ever is any proper reason for the attack ever given. It tends to boil down to the old "because we hate your freedom and decadent lifestyles, capitalist pig!", and that I believe were all over and done with.

Of course, if a movie, game or book wanted to depict a realistic scenario, they would never chose an invasion of mainland USA, it's simply too unlikely... I hate to say it, but there is no country in the world currently with invested interest in performing an all-out attack on the US, at least not a country that has such capabilities remotely available...

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
No. The only good invasion of America game was Freedom Fighters from 2003. BC2 doesn't count because the invasion makes up roughly 3% of the playtime.

In other words, in order for Invasion of America to be overdone, there need to be more quality titles based on the topic than the average player would be willing to buy at any given time.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
It's not overdone.

It's that America consistently seems to win against an army that is powerful enough to have surpassed America's natural and technological defenses with little to no cost to their own power.

It's nice to be fighting in cities or suburban areas or generally things that feel close to home. Developers seem to confuse this with "THEY HAVE INVADED THE GLORIOUS MOTHERLAND, AMERICA! DEFEND WITH YOUR LIVES!"

angelsmash

Mar 29, 2011
It's way interesting for a bunch of reasons. People love what-ifs where the tragic loser bounces back (think the millions of WWII games where you can play as the Nazis). War in domestic America is in the same vein because it's so far-fetched.

To be honest, it's always been too far-fetched for me to enjoy it played straight (i.e. not for laughs). I mean, how can you take it seriously? All of us in the First World are bored, pasty, chubby or malnourished nerds and cubicle monkeys buying ill-fitting t-shirts from Wal-Mart. It just feels too bizarre to try and portray us as valiant home defenders against professional modern armies.

Cai1911

Feb 19, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
Developers seem to confuse this with "THEY HAVE INVADED THE GLORIOUS MOTHERLAND, AMERICA! DEFEND WITH YOUR LIVES!"
Careful man your "enemy" is showing... you might get shot by the protagonist.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
YES. Why would anyone invade us? We have very little natural resourses compared to other countries and To date The USA has not been invaded. Ever.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
ultratog1028 said:
YES. Why would anyone invade us? We have very little natural resourses compared to other countries and To date The USA has not been invaded. Ever.
Uh... War of 1812? British forces assisted by Canada pushed far enough in to burn the White House to the ground. That army could have done even more damage if they weren't devastated by a freak hurricane. We had people fighting for their lives to keep this country intact. In fact, notoriety from that war is what got Andrew Jackson elected as president. Also, in terms of natural resources we're one of the largest oil exporters in the world, plus we have tons of free real estate and boatloads of farmland. Controlling the United States means you would completely change how the world works with corn and soybeans, two of the most commonly used products in the western world.

Anyway, it's not really done to death, it just hasn't been done incredibly well by enough games. The only game I can think of where I thought the invasion scenario was expertly handled from a story perspective was World in Conflict.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ultratog1028 said:
the USA is the center of the universe, I thourght you would know that

anyway its been rather done to death in movies, thats why I liked District 9 so much

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
I'd like to play as a country invaded by the US and you play a rebel fighting back.

Now THAT has potential, especially due to technological differences.

angelsmash

Mar 29, 2011
ultratog1028 said:
The US has insane levels of natural resources, are you kidding me?

LordZutaki

May 24, 2010
Astalano said:
I'd like to play as a country invaded by the US and you play a rebel fighting back.

Now THAT has potential, especially due to technological differences.
was just thinking this

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't want it to go away until it's done well. MW2 was pretty good for the couple levels fought in the suburbs and DC, just give me more of that. Maybe I'll give Homefront a rent after I'm done at Uni and summer hits.