Investigating Overwatch's Stingy Loot System

Valnakrume

Oct 22, 2008
BytByte said:
Something I realized after watching the ZP and reading this is the need for a "sense of progression." I guess I might be in the minority of this, but for games like Overwatch especially, the largest sense of progression I get is actually getting better at the game. Being an online competitive game, the main source of enjoyment (at least for me) is the competition against other real peoples. So being able to beat more and more people is the biggest sense of progression I have in the game. Thinking that getting more cosmetics (especially because of the way you get them) is the only "progress" you can make in the game is... weird to me. I'd agree that it's the most tangible "progress" as skill is much more personal and hard to measure, but you get a lot more out of games then what they tell you you have.

Long story short, the biggest sense of progression in games like Overwatch is realizing you are getting better at them, not any digital items.
I'm already as good at the game as I can get though, piss poor. My only reason to play is for laughs and Loot boxes.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
FillerDmon said:
... though I wonder why some people feel games need a quantifiable end game goal in the first place.
OoT: Different people likes different things from the same games. This isn't my opinion, it has been researched for decades: what do players want from a game? One of the conclusions (the Bartle taxonomy) groups players in 4 very different categories. Games are complex works, but the player base in each one is complex too.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Well, if a secondary and optional challenge to a game is going to get someone in this much of a bind, and if Blizzard worries about its rep with every single person (and since they pulled a slightly suggestive shot of a character's ass because one single person complained, they just might) I think I can solve this problem with two words: Collectibles Trading. Let players exchange duplicates as an alternative to cashing them in for in-game currency.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Okay, but what person in their right mind would feel the need to 100% Overwatch's loot? I mean you're gonna want one skin for each character (maybe two if you like a couple), the highlight intros and the sprays you like. I can't imagine a vast majority of players won't have everything they want by level 150, level 200 at most.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
One-fifth the value for duplicates? Ouch. It's hard not to read that as exploiting a problem that you, yourself caused. It's perfectly possible to create a system that never draws duplicates, or gives the full "market" value of the duplicate (or even half the value), or simply allows a straight trade for something else in its class, or trade between players. Combined with the unattractive nature of some of the drops (I've heard more than one reviewer complain about getting a box of spray patterns), it begins to sound like the game is trying to engender a compulsion to "earn" (or buy) more pulls at a slot machine.

Now, of course, as long as the game remains fun, whatever. But there's a nasty loop that occurs in a lot of minds where instead of "I spend so much time playing this game because it's fun" the interpretation becomes "I must be having fun- after all, look at how much time I spend playing this game". I have to raise an eyebrow at games that seem to be trying to exploit that kind of loop.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
FillerDmon said:
Overwatch's main goal is to get good at the game competitively. Hence the level up system used to mark how long you've been at it, and how the match making adjusts itself to your number of wins, losses, and other factors apparently measured in game to determine your skill level and put you with other people who are about as good as you, give or take.
That is demonstrably untrue. If it was, competitive mode would've been a launch feature and not something that's being added later, and non-competitive features like quick play and brawls wouldn't exist. Furthermore, the level up system has less of a correlation to how good you are than it does how long/much you've played. You could be the worst player in the world and still be the highest level just by grinding it hard enough. And match making may adjust to your skill level, but since match making is invisible there's no sense of progress and indeed it's pretty much impossible to tell how high up or down you actually are. All these things emphasize that the game is much more heavily casual focused than it is hardcore, which means competitive play is absolutely not the main goal.

Additionally, there are also a full system of achievements in game; some based on the type of level, most others based on things you can do with your hero, all of which can be satisfied, however (admittedly, one is to collect most of the cosmetics that apply to a single hero, . That certainly counts as progress. Again, entirely ignored to focus on a 100% inconsequential set of cosmetics that have no bearing on your progress or mechanics.
Except that by your own admission, those cosmetics are actually required for one of the achievements. Furthermore, what do the achievements reward you with? More cosmetics! Which means the cosmetics are clearly intended to be an objective to be acquired, both to complete achievements but also as a reason TO complete achievements, further emphasizing why the default method of obtaining them is stupid.

... though I wonder why some people feel games need a quantifiable end game goal in the first place. Fighting Games get by on just getting good (some have a token story mode, but this is usually just a fight against a number of bots and then some dialog/text/cutscenes). The Sims could be played pretty much infinitely. Minecraft added a "Final Boss", but I wasn't aware that you were required to do anything other than just dick around and explore, which was pretty much the plan for the longest part of its run. Left 4 Dead/L4D2 can be beaten in like 5 hours each in their "campaigns", but you could play the vs Mode for weeks and weeks, quite frankly (or at least, that's certainly how I've enjoyed the game).
You argue that they're meaningless, but just the fact that they're there at all means that clearly somebody wanted them. The same is true for Overwatch, except the difference is that the progression ISN'T there (or what is there is mindbogglingly stupid) and people are asking for it.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
You know... as much as I would love a new Time Splitters game, I am kinda glad that the series seems dead and buried. At least it went out with dignity and didn't get slogged down by nonsensical and shady micro-transactions with its insane roster of crazy characters like Overwatch did.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

I about level 60 and I've already unlocked almost everything that I actually wanted with no extra purchases.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
*shrug*

I about level 60 and I've already unlocked almost everything that I actually wanted with no extra purchases.
Same, almost level 70 and I just need two more legendary costumes and I'm set.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
You'd need to be mad to take a serious go at it, but we know mad people exist, and it's very unethical for Blizzard to tease them. If they're going to exploit the mentally ill they could at least take a tip from the Victorians and do it in public with funny costumes.
Have you SEEN some of those skins? Of COURSE they did that!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
And lets all remember all the holiday themed items that'll be coming. If you think Blizzard is above charging for Halloween costumes or Xmas snowballs, then you've never played a single Blizzard game.

Apr 5, 2008
Not to nitpick too much, but this is a pretty inefficient way of using your credits. A better way would have been, at the end of each cycle (after opening the loot boxes), to check the total value of the wallet against the total cost of the unobtained items and end the simulation if the value is greater than the cost.

Basically, you want to save all your purchases for the end, if you're going for 100% completion. That way you never get an item that's a duplicate of one you bought. Your way just wastes most of the early credits. Since you're going to be buying the last few dozen items either way, saving all those early credits to do so is the way to go. If the average item costs a couple hundred plus credits by then, then, e.g., 50 "must-buy" items times 250 credits, cut by a fifth to account for duplicates of purchased items, divided by an average of say 40 credits per box, and you've "overworked" yourself by about 250 boxes.

It's not a huge cut from your overall calculation, but it's still a pretty significant amount.

tl;dr: Yatzhee's estimates should be cut by about 10%.
I agree with this. It occurred to me while reading that it would be better to do it like this to assure less credits spent to be duplicated later. It's not dissimilar to an Offset Mortgage, where the positive capital acts against the amount owed, and when the two meet can cancel out. It means a lot more empties will be filled with random drops, saving credits and makes the most efficient use of credits earned from duplicates.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I just wish the game didn't seem so vindictive about the drops it gives. I swear it must weigh how many drops you get towards the characters you play the least. Of all the drops I've had up to now, only 2 skins have been for characters I use regularly.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Uh, guys, I think the whole sense of progression with the "Getting good at the game" argument as far as multiplayer games are concerned is thrown out the window when a 17 year old can disband an entire "professional" esports team.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Have to really disagree with Yahtzee on this one. The "Loot system" of Overwatch was an afterthought - a fun little way to get some random goodies here and there. None of the items have any effect on gameplay. His complaints are petty and make it seem like Blizzard is "holding stuff hostage" from us.

What happened to the old days when people were able to enjoy video games without having to be pat on the back every X hours, given a random goodie, and told "well done! You have progressed!"

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Have to really disagree with Yahtzee on this one. The "Loot system" of Overwatch was an afterthought - a fun little way to get some random goodies here and there. None of the items have any effect on gameplay. His complaints are petty and make it seem like Blizzard is "holding stuff hostage" from us.

What happened to the old days when people were able to enjoy video games without having to be pat on the back every X hours, given a random goodie, and told "well done! You have progressed!"
You seem to be mistaken, because in the old days, people WERE given random goodies. If something was in the game, there was a realistic expectation that you would be able to obtain it, whereas nowadays the expectation is that you'll have to pay for it, and possibly pay quite a lot as well.

The argument that because it doesn't have any effect on gameplay then it shouldn't matter is fallacious. If it really didn't matter then why bother to include it in the game at all? Earning things, customizing your appearance and character, these things matter to people. Their very presence in the game is itself an indicator that people find them important, and just because you personally don't care doesn't mean that you should be dismissing the concerns of people who do, because this thing is clearly aimed at them and not you and they care and they think it's shit.

unified disinterest

Apr 29, 2015
I don't think Blizzard really wants players to 100% the loot system. What's the fun in getting a legendary skin out of a box if everyone has them?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Interesting numbers. For me though, the notion of progress annoys me to no end.

Was there progress in HL2 DM? Was there progress in Warcraft 2 vs? Was there progress in Doom (the original) deathmatches? In Counter Strike? No. It was just games. For the fun of it. If you returned to a game it was for ONE reason, and one alone...you wanted to.

When I play Overwatch, its because of that. I realize there are some disturbed souls out there that cant put something down untill they have "completed" it whatever that means....but for the vast majority of people, the cosmetics and other BS should be just some extra spice for when you've played some games.

Fuck progression, its not an MMO. You're not building a character. Its just for fun. Isnt that enough?

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
One thing your simulation didn't take into account was how long it takes you to earn those boxes, by the time you've eared enough boxes to get everything there will be more stuff brought out that you will need to earn. I honestly can't imagine anyone getting 100% and I'm ok with that, all I care about is do I have a cool skin for the characters I play the most? Yes, fine then.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Gizen said:
You seem to be mistaken, because in the old days, people WERE given random goodies. If something was in the game, there was a realistic expectation that you would be able to obtain it, whereas nowadays the expectation is that you'll have to pay for it, and possibly pay quite a lot as well.
That's true of a lot of games, but I don't think it applies to Overwatch.