inXile Unveils First Wasteland 2 Screen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
inXile Unveils First Wasteland 2 Screen

Wasteland 2 may still be in the early stages of development but the first screen to slip out is pretty awesome anyway.

Wasteland 2 isn't expected to be out until late next year and I don't think too many of us will be surprised if that mutates into "sometime in 2014" at some future point, so any screen shot at this point in the process is naturally bound to be extremely preliminary, subject to change and almost worthless in terms of determining what the game will actually be like. But hey, it's the first Wasteland 2 screen shot ever - let's all rubberneck!

[gallery=839]

"Releasing a screen shot this early in the process is a new concept for me as we typically want to hone in every element before we show it. But based on the requests and our desire for fan input, we are doing so to solicit feedback on the basic look," inXile honcho Brian Fargo wrote in the latest Wasteland 2 update [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/271440]. "Please keep in mind that we have not put in the particle effects and post-processing which will have a dramatic effect on the scene, and this represents just one of the various environments for Wasteland 2 so expect to see other quite different locales. Also, this particular camera angle is on the low end of a range that the player can adjust upwards to a much more top-down view, for those who prefer that style during game play."

While Wasteland 2 will tell the story of the Desert Rangers, environment art director Koy Vanoteghem explained that after going through a wide variety of games, films and documentaries in search of inspiration, "it became increasingly clear that the modern day conception of a post-apocalyptic world has diversified." Those updated ideas about what a post-end-of-the-world world would look like will be reflected in the game.

"Of course, the desert-oriented wasteland devoid of life was still there. But a newer and more compelling version which highlighted nature's reclamation of vacated places took hold of our attention," he wrote. "This new conception gives us the opportunity to generate a variety of environment types while staying true to the narrative. It also allows the location and geology to dictate the flora and fauna, as well as the manner and state of decay. From the dry deserts and icy mountaintops of Arizona to the coastal conditions of LA and larger southern California region, each region generates its own flavor."

Since the early part of the game is set in Arizona, the debut screen is nonetheless a desert setting, and although it may not be the most glorious eye candy ever (bearing in mind Fargo's comments about particle effects and post-processing), it's still a real, live Wasteland 2 screen. That's pretty damn exciting all by itself.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Could look worse I suppose.

Not really much to go on, it being so obviously a work in progress and all.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
People have been complaining that it doesn't look exactly like Fallout.

I reiterate: people have been complaining that WASTELAND 2 doesn't look exactly like Fallout.

The good news is, it looks very much like a Wasteland sequel. Wasteland had a great combination of brutality and B-movie weirdness that would be a shame to lose in the name of gritty realism.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
"Keep the Fuck OUT!" Hahah

I've never played the original Wasteland, and I'm not a big fan of Fallout, but I'm still curious to see how Wasteland 2 will turn out.

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
Lovely to see that they have kept vibrant colour despite being in a wasteland setting. A new old style rpg with all the rifles. Awesome.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Even though it's only a work in progress, I think it looks pretty good. This game can't be released fast enough...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
ResonanceGames said:

I reiterate: people have been complaining that WASTELAND 2 doesn't look exactly like Fallout.

The good news is, it looks very much like a Wasteland sequel. Wasteland had a great combination of brutality and B-movie weirdness that would be a shame to lose in the name of gritty realism.
That SS looks exactly what a modern version of Fallout 1 & 2 would look like. Because honestly who gives a shit about the imitator they call Fallout 3?

"Look guys, I'm a true Fallout game! I've got The Brotherhood of Steel, The Enclave, and even Super Mutants! Can I be in the Fallout club now?"

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Well, I guess it's a bit different because a pub can just rip the money right out of your company if you do something they don't like. After donating to the Kickstarter, you absolutely have no say and I'm pretty sure you can't withdraw funds because everything is confirmed once it's fully supported. Sure, the Devs are free to take your complaints/requests/suggestions, but they don't have to.

OT: This looks pretty good and I'm now wondering if my pc could run it. Unfortunately, if its like the Fallouts of yesteryear (Wasteland was before my time.[footnote]That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it. [/footnote]), the turn-base combat is gonna drag this down for me.[footnote]Yes, yes, say what you want. But the only turn based game I could ever muscle through was 'Legend of the Dragoon', and that was years ago.[/footnote]

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
matrix3509 said:
ResonanceGames said:

That SS looks exactly what a modern version of Fallout 1 & 2 would look like. Because honestly who gives a shit about the imitator they call Fallout 3?

"Look guys, I'm a true Fallout game! I've got The Brotherhood of Steel, The Enclave, and even Super Mutants! Can I be in the Fallout club now?"
Who said anything about Fallout 3? The people I'm referring to were talking about the original Fallouts. Which are among my favorite games, but are NOT the same thing as Wasteland.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I hope Fargo is looking forward to ceaseless, never-ending requests and demands from the fans who funded this. Requesting a screenshot is just the start. Once development gets underway, fans will be demanding everything from gameplay footage to radical redesigns of mechanics that they don't like the look of.

Sorry, I know that sounds cynical. I just fail to see how the Kickstarter model presents a radical departure from traditional publishing. Instead of being subject to the whims and demands of corporate execs who want to make money, you're subject to the whims and demands of dedicated gamers who will freak out if they see so much as a title screen that they don't like the look of. Looking at the gaming community, and the responses to things like the DMC reboot, I honestly can't say that I think gamers are generally mature enough to trust putting in the publisher role.

The screenshot looks good, and I hope great things come from the project. I'm just waiting for the day when fans start screaming "RUINED FOREVAR!!!" because Fargo decided to include some gameplay element or design choice that they don't like.
You're right that is too cynical for this game. I can see your point in a different Kickstarter project but not this one. Fargo has already said that this is, A: Not Fallout 4, and B: That he's not going to be letting fans vote on what models are used or decide what the story will be, he's made this clear from the start. What bugs me about Kickstarter isn't the 'FANS ARE BITCHY!' aspect that might come about but that there are no legal protections of any sort for fans. If Brian Fargo decided today he was going to take a jet to Hawaii and live the rest of his life on the money he's gotten from Kickstarter there wouldn't be much to stop him. Not that he would but there will be a Kickstarter project that will end that way one day and when it does it's going to seriously damage the idea of fan funding. There is also the fact that original IP's will have trouble using this method but then again original IP's are some what rare in the triple AAA market.

Though being so negative I feel I should point out the positive. The direction is completely in the creators control with Kickstarter because as I said before there is nothing stopping how the game gets made besides the creators own personal reputation at the final product, and if our creator is a good enough accountant he can put out a game without any personal financial risk (assuming he doesn't invest his own money into the project which I think we'll see eventually with Wasteland 2)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
A bit early isn't it? The fact that it came with a list of sort of excuses as to why it wasn't more awesome is sort of a sign to me that they shouldn't have released it. Its very early days as it is, and I never expected them to start releasing screens until late this year at the earliest, and more likely next year.

Maybe showing almost every step of the way will be the new standard with crowdsourced titles rather than publisher funded games' secrecy.

Brian Fargo

Jul 23, 2012
That is exactly the big difference between a fan funded game and receiving money from a publisher. A publisher will enforce their will onto a game by withholding money to get what they want. With this game I listen to what people have to say but I get to make a judgment call for what is the best approach. There are always extreme opinions on things but the gamers as a whole are quite sane.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
If it's anywhere near as good as the concept art once they've finished rendering...
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/04/andree-wallin-4.jpghttps://inxile-wasteland.s3.amazonaws.com/wl2S-screen.jpg
The top one is just a sample of the concept artist's previous work. It's not actually connected to Wasteland 2.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Brian Fargo said:
That is exactly the big difference between a fan funded game and receiving money from a publisher. A publisher will enforce their will onto a game by withholding money to get what they want. With this game I listen to what people have to say but I get to make a judgment call for what is the best approach. There are always extreme opinions on things but the gamers as a whole are quite sane.

Is that really you, Brian?

OT: Nice of them to release a screen to show us that work actually IS in progress. So far it looks quite relevant to my interests, I look forward to seeing more of this soon.