iPod Touch owners...Enlighten me!

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
It's time, I've decided my Shuffle no longer fulfils my auditory needs.

After a little research I've eBay'd myself a 16gb Touch, but before it gets here I'd like to get the pro's/con's of some 'Touch non-noobs'.

Jailbreaking looks like a good idea but any extra info is always helpful.

OR...have I bought something that's more style over substance?

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
My brother has one and I must say I prefer my own 120GB classic. His touch is far too fiddly when trying to type words on the keypad and it's not accurate enough for my liking. On the plus side though it does have a very large screen for video.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
yeah the games are alright, but they only amount to " well i have five minutes to spare" so no point in paying for games. although that is just my opinion.

jail breaking voids your warranty, so i haven't done it.

also i find that the keyboard is easy to use, and the auto correct feature is very handy, sort of like predictive text, but better.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
Pros:
-Many cool apps
-Many FREE apps
-youtube specifically designed for ipod
-wifi works great (you can look at internet po-"MATERIAL" :) on Safari)
-Video works great
-it IS an ipod, so has most good ipod things
Cons:
-iffy touch screen, especially when typing.
Also: Don't jail break, out of just 2 friends I've seen 3 or 4 "jail broken" ipods that also just plain old broke because of it. It's illegal and hardly works.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I'm upgrading my old iPod to an iPod Touch the next time I get the cash (most likely my birthday), as my iPod won't send any music to the left headphone (its the iPod all my headphones work fine in everything else). And recently I have started having to keep downward pressure on the base of the headphones, and angle it in a certain way, its way too much hassle.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
needausername said:
I'm upgrading my old iPod to an iPod Touch the next time I get the cash (most likely my birthday), as my iPod won't send any music to the left headphone (its the iPod all my headphones work fine in everything else). And recently I have started having to keep downward pressure on the base of the headphones, and angle it in a certain way, its way too much hassle.
I had that happen to my old, old shuffle (the one with no screen that looked like a flash drive :D), and it was really annoying... but a nice excuse for an upgrade ^^

As for the Touch... I don't really like it all that much - I find the screen really hard to use and finicky, and I don't think I would end up using anything other than the ability to play music (but that's just me), so I'd try and borrow a friend's if at all possible and play around with it some before you run out and buy it.

The Cake Is A Lie

Jun 27, 2009
I have an iPhone, my roomie has an iPod Touch and both of us have no regrets. It's like having a mini computer wherever you go, and if you go the Jailbreak route the possibilities are endless. (I have an NES, GBA, Genesis and PSX Emulator on my phone for instance).

Plus you can convert videos on your computer to mp4 to watch on it, as well as having YouTube, etc.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
The games on it are pretty good but my favorite thing on it is the internet browser, YouTube, and FaceBook apps.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
I love my touch, it's a small device that holds a lot of stuff that I used to have to cart my laptop around for. I haven't played games on it though but I do use the email and other productivity functions that come with it. One thing I wish though is that I had the ability to get the internet other than having to go to hotspots and wifi zones. I would pay, guess I need to break down and just get an IPhone.

Really it all depends on what you're getting it for and how you want to use it. It's a good portable video and music player. Sometimes trying to type is a pain but the auto text is pretty good.

brainfreeze215

Feb 5, 2009
gyaaaahahahaaaa I love my iPod Touch. Really the only con I can think of is that you occasionally have to say to people "no, it's just an iPod, not the phone."

Other than that, I prefer the touch interface to the classic iPod interface. It's more intuitive based on the fact that you touch what you want instead of moving a cursor over to it with a click wheel. Also apps are fun.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Jailbreaking's dead simple. If you can jailbreak your iPod, rip a copy of Wikipedia's database, and load it up on your iPod, you've got yourself a personal hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Also, the official New York Times reader is handy to have.

Look into installing Winterboard if you want custom themes.

I get kind of mad with jailbreaking. When I installed Rockbox on my first gen iPod nano, I thought that was pretty cool. Jailbreaking blows that out of the water.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Why did you buy a touch now? A new one will be coming out in September, I'm sure.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
rip a copy of Wikipedia's database, and load it up on your iPod, you've got yourself a personal hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
I like this, I like this a lot!

Azeban said:
Why did you buy a touch now? A new one will be coming out in September, I'm sure.
Really???.....BOLLOCKS!!! :mad:

Aunel

May 9, 2008
I have the nano, it is awesome, I just use it for music, nothing more, nothing less.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
barryween said:
Pros:
-Many cool apps
-Many FREE apps
-youtube specifically designed for ipod
-wifi works great (you can look at internet po-"MATERIAL" :) on Safari)
-Video works great
-it IS an ipod, so has most good ipod things
Cons:
-iffy touch screen, especially when typing.
Also: Don't jail break, out of just 2 friends I've seen 3 or 4 "jail broken" ipods that also just plain old broke because of it. It's illegal and hardly works.

i bet you it didnt break because of the jailbreak.

maybe they got bricked and got the phone locked at startup and it wont start, there is a way to get out of it, maybe if they still have the phones and feel like explaining what "doesnt work" about it i might be able to either fix it, or get them in touch with someone that might be able to fix it.

unless its hardware related, in which case it definately wasnt the jailbreak that did it.

i have a jailbroken iphone, i had it bricked tons of times, i always managed to get it working again w/o any probs.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
Despite the dubious legality of Jailbreaking, I want/need a very important yet innocent feature it provides, I heard you can't use your iPod as typical storage device unless jailbroken.

Anyone confirm or deny?

The Cake Is A Lie

Jun 27, 2009
Fangface74 said:
Despite the dubious legality of Jailbreaking, I want/need a very important yet innocent feature it provides, I heard you can't use your iPod as typical storage device unless jailbroken.

Anyone confirm or deny?
When jailbroken you can install SSH that lets you connect to it via an FTP program so you can access everything on the iPod/iPhone. Pretty much lets you use it as an external HD as well as do things like copy music from your iPod back onto your PC, install ROMs, etc.