Iranian State TV Aired Medal of Honor Gameplay, Thinking it Was Real

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Amir Kondori said:
Karadalis said:
These people might know how to use technology...

But since they are being kept stupid by their own totalitarian goverments they dont understand technology.

They have little to no understanding how the world works outside of their country, since the religion thought police makes sure that only those that blindly believe in the dogma of the ruling class actually get anywhere.

So its not surprising that they show a clip from a game and think its the real thing... because they honestly dont know any better.
This is actually completely off base. Iranian's tend to be very cosmopolitan and understand world events better than the average American likely does. There is a strong secular sentiment in the country and the veneer of strict Islamic law is one painted on by the ruling mullahs. Do not believe everything you see in the media, as the older I get the more I realize that the media tells the story that either benefits its corporate owners or that they think will appeal to readers.

Source: I've lived in Iran.
the guys at the top ARE lunatics with no idea on how the world works but the lower you go you can find more common sense. the dudes managing the news outlets are part of the lunatics. and really this story doesnt surprise me at all you wont believe the kind of stupid shit they show at the broadcast TV.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Didn't this happen with Arma 3 gameplay before?
In 2011 ITV aired a documentary which showed, so the claimed, members of the IRA shooting down a British helicopter with a mounted machine gun.
Said footage was taken from ARMA II

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Didn't this happen with Arma 3 gameplay before?
Close, it was ARMA 2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15082177

In a statement ITV said: "The events featured in Exposure: Gaddafi and the IRA were genuine but it would appear that during the editing process the correct clip of the 1988 incident was not selected and other footage was mistakenly included in the film by producers.

"This was an unfortunate case of human error for which we apologise."
I'm just waiting for the frantic Fox News special on the video that proves the sudden resurrection of Mecha-Hitler.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
That's becoming an alarmingly common problem now. I guess its a consequence of improving graphical fidelity that people are going to keep mistaking game footage for the real thing. What's been a much older problem though is people mistaking works of fiction for real news stories, such as that one of the journalist getting hit by a flying fish, or that catcher saving a reporter getting beaned by a wayward baseball.

My friend used to actually fake footage to the news as video evidence, just to see if they would run it - Things "footage" of earthquakes (complete with clocks being pulled off of the wall with string).