Ireland's Hurricane Ophelia more annoying than previously suspected. Yay.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
[link]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41627442[/link]
[link]https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/hurricane-ophelia-three-dead-and-360-000-without-power-as-monster-storm-hits-1.3257434[/link]

So yeah. Most public services and workplaces are down right now, and to top it all off, lots of crap is being broke. Biggest threat right now is roof slates, but there is concerns for flooding to occur soon. I should be relatively safe considering nothing major has happened near my area, as for some of my friends and relatives, I'm starting get worried since I haven't been able to contact them. Now I can officially count myself as part of the hurricane craze this year. Just like we always wanted. Huzzah.

At least it isn't as bad as it could be, though I feel like I may as well chop off my hand for saying that one. Only a few have been killed, but I'm still on edge for somebody I know getting hurt, especially without me knowing. I hate this suspense.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
While nowhere near as bad as in Ireland, the wind is picking up here in Britain now. And this afternoon, it got really weird as apparently the storm has blown dust and stuff over from somewhere and it got really dark. The sky was a kind of orangey grey and as it cleared, the sun was actually red.

Like I said, not as bad as in Ireland, but I thought I'd mention it. Hope you and yours stay safe.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Surprisingly calm here in south-west England, but yeah, we had the dark orange skies and run sun too, in the mid-morning for us.

Aug 31, 2012
We got a weird weather day right in the bottom end of cornwall. Woke up to warm winds and the air smelling strange, like hot electrical equipment. Then it's just been a really windy day but with clear skies and bright sunshine. You really know something's wrong when you have sunny day down here.

Apr 17, 2009
I have work colleagues out in Anglesey who giving me updates on whats going on around them. They're all bunkering down, with the ones who have actual fireplaces currently using them since a few places have lost power

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Got pretty rough here in Cork where I live but luckily doesn't seem to have been any major damage apart from plenty of uprooted trees in the area. Had no power for most of the day but thankfully it came back about an hour ago. Worst of it seems to have passed now so back to work as normal tomorrow (if the buses are running that is)

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
The yellowish hazy atmosphere round where I was (North West of England) reminded me of pictures of the polluted cities of China, made me wish I didn't have to be outside as I was wondering what damage it was doing to my lungs. I spent most of the day worrying about my mum as she'd just had surgery but turns out she has some common sense and didn't even go outside as she wasn't feeling up to it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Florida here. It's okay to be worried, everyone should be okay.

Along with regular power loss you're going to lose landlines and cell towers, so loss of communication is standard.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
My Irish pal told me a bunch of yahoos got arrested for going for a swim during it.

Which is either the most badass or the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Chewster said:
My Irish pal told me a bunch of yahoos got arrested for going for a swim during it.

Which is either the most badass or the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
It is both of these things.

Hope it all turns out alright, OP!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I has been very windy here lately honestly it isn't as bad to some of the past one. On the other it is probably cos I'm more prepared for it this time round (bringing in the display stock inside earlier and some shops were closer an hour early to closing down).

Still compared to what the US and other part of the worlds been getting when it come to hurricane, ss Brits are only getting the weaksauce of the aftermath!