Ireland's leading government party declares itself a charity for fundraising purposes (already updated for further scumfuckery)

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

This feels like something you would hear about in a weird crooked corner of politics getting referenced by John Oliver as part of a bit, but nope.

Some highlights for me include

“Political parties are an important part of a democratic system. I don’t accept any sort of suggestion or implication that there’s something wrong with political parties existing within society ,” he added.
That is really not the point people are making (people who aren't me, I am absolutely making that point), it's just a bizarre non-sequitor.

But the fact that he also said
When asked how Fianna Fáil is a charity, he said that the “judge made a decision” to grant the license, which is “within the legal framework”.
"Why is this okay?"
"Because the people in charge said it is, now shut the fuck up we're protecting democracy here."

Anyway, I know there's not a lot of interest in irish news here, but I thought this was too fucking dumb not to share.

I sure am glad that the leader of the 2nd most popular party (himself the 3rd most popular candidate in his constituency) was able to make a deal with the leader of the 3rd most popular party (also 3rd most popular in his own constituency, who also said his party lost the election), despite both declaring adamantly to their voters that they would never work together, in order to protect democracy and make sure the most popular party that came first in almost every constituency was totally frozen out of government formation talks. Talk god they're here to do what they want and tell us it's not our place to question them, otherwise something undemocratic might happen.

Update:

Fine Gael are using their own little loophole. See the maximum ticket price under the law is €10. So FG are actually running 20 draws and you can buy a ticket for each (but only if you physically turn up at FG HQ to buy a ticket in the days before the draw) or you can buy one "heavily discounted" ticket for all of the draws for €80.

Last edited:

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I should also point out that the laws limiting lottery icket prices was introduced BY Fine Gael.

Similar to how they introduced rent caps allowing for no more than a 4% rent increase unless "major works" were carried out. And then subsequently introduced a full tax refund for landlords who carry out any works on their properties. They are really good at making sure there is a convenient way to circumvent laws they introduce that might affect people with lots of money.