Irish SOPA law has passed today

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
henritje said:
honestdiscussioner said:
People! Hear me!

You may not wish to believe this, but it is in fact GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Please, allow me to explain.

Ireland is a rather small internet market compared to other industrialized nations. This will be a perfect experiment to show what the law will do. It will likely fail miserably, and eventually in such a small country the outcry will be too much and it will be repealed. The damage will be undone, and we'll have a shining example of why we SHOULD NEVER put forward such a law.

Had this happened in America, politicians would have tried to come up with other issues to distract us from trying to get it repealed and it may have come to be a fact of life.

So this does suck for Ireland, but for the whole world it could be a bit of a boon.
what I,m afraid of is that before it fails politicians say "hey look we can easily violate human rights like the Irish!"
They already think they can. They already want to. The question is whether they can get away with it or not. If there is a huge backlash in Ireland from the repercussions of this bill, it will send a message that it can't be done. That they aren't that powerful yet.

So we just need to hope that Ireland doesn't screw it up for humanity.

No pressure or anything, Ireland. Please don't shame the 12.5% of my heritage that comes from you!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
nuba km said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:
The Irish version of SOPA has just passed today and will be in effect soon ignoring a signed petition of 80,000 voters which is quite a big number of people over here.
So perhaps the Irish need to use the IRA again.
Why do people keep saying this, even in jest? I don't think people realize what the IRA actually is today...
is it the internet rebellion army/jk I know what the IRA is

OT: thank god northern Ireland isn't effected by the laws of the republic of Ireland
Amen to that Brother.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I anticipate riots.

Why? Because it's Ireland. History shows that we (because I am of Irish descent) tend to frown on stuff with torches and pitchforks.

xXTheParadoxXx

May 25, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I anticipate riots.

Why? Because it's Ireland. History shows that we (because I am of Irish descent) tend to frown on stuff with torches and pitchforks.
Why do foreign people constantly refer to themselves as Irish?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
xXTheParadoxXx said:
FalloutJack said:
I anticipate riots.

Why do people who come to America call themselves American? 'Because you live there' is really less of a reason than genetic traits, family, or history. Even still, I don't call out people for THAT, so you can let this one slide.

xXTheParadoxXx

May 25, 2010
FalloutJack said:
xXTheParadoxXx said:
FalloutJack said:
I anticipate riots.

Why do people who come to America call themselves American? 'Because you live there' is really less of a reason than genetic traits, family, or history. Even still, I don't call out people for THAT, so you can let this one slide.
In Ireland we get lectured on Ireland by American tourists who think they are more Irish than us

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Just watch and wait for these people to break this law and viciously demand the law to be enforced as fully as possible.
Let's put some politicians in jail !

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
I know the theory - I wonder how much of the bill will be enforcable in practice. It might be more of a point being made, rather than a real enforcement attempt.

And it's horrible how N Ireland politics came up again! I spent 6 months writing about it for my end of degree dissertation, and you don't see me wading into it!

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
xXTheParadoxXx said:
FalloutJack said:
xXTheParadoxXx said:
FalloutJack said:
I anticipate riots.

In Ireland we get lectured on Ireland by American tourists who think they are more Irish than us
Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but my grandfather IS from there and I am the most like him of this generation. There's nothing wrong with responding to my roots.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I am very very very sorry this happened to you Ireland. I wish there was something I couldv'e done, I was an avid protester against SOPA when it was trying to be passed into law in the U.S..I would say your people should have took more action, but the way that it was passed into your country was complete and utter bullshit....it seems like your government doesn't give a crap what its own people want and that is quite the shame. I am not saying its all sunshine and rainbows in AMerica and Europe....but maybe Ireland's people should consider to turn tail and run.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh dear.

I can't do much, being a far-away Canady with zero ties to the Irish, but I did hang my head in shame and silently wish bodily harm on mister Sherlock, who seems unworthy of his patronym. Anybody named Sherlock has to be a righteous badass by law, and he certainly fails in this regard.

Here's hoping Chris Dodd doesn't start salivating after hearing about this. The last thing I want is a repeat of January and February's online mayhem.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
PureIrony said:
MiracleOfSound said:
It's an absolute disgrace and the TD who signed it is a traitorous little snake.
Please tell me this isn't going to affect your show.
Oh crap, never even crossed my mind. It won't hurt it right? I mean, I only bother turning on the computer on Wednesdays for you and Yahtzee since I can do everything else on my phone...

Freechoice said:
Fix'd that for ya. And in retards to Americans, we actually bitched loud enough to get the bill down for the moment.
That makes it more depressing to know that there was probably nothing you could do to stop this man from signing the bill. I guess I got lucky my politicians like staying in office more than they like money.

I'm thinking either some sap tricked your leader into using you as Guinea Pigs or he's a stupid/greedy bastard. Either way, I hope you guys show exactly why this bill would completely suck if actually implemented around the world.