Iron Fist: Marvel's first legitimate critical failure

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Silentpony said:
"Despite a very good cast and a great origin story, Iron Fist is predictable, a little hammy, and has no real sense of how to tell a cohesive story."

...has anyone else even seen Agents of Shield?!
Probably jumped right to Turn, Turn, Turn after people who watched the show told them that's when it got good.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I liked Daredevil, but I got all ninja'd out after a while.
I somewhat liked Jessica Jones, but it had a lot redundant side plots.
I wanted to like Luke Cage, but the show has far, far too much chatting in it. Didn't finish it.
I can't even bring myself to watch Iron Fist. It reminds me far too much of that 1997 classic, Beverley Hills Ninja.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Since we're all apparently stating what we've thought of each Netflix show:

Jessica Jones is probably my favourite content the MCU has created.

Dare Devil season 1 was up there too, but not quite as good.

Luke Cage was pretty great, but I have to agree that it got weaker when Diamondback became a big player.

Dare Devil season 2 had a lot of good, but a lot of mediocre cringe too. The Punisher stuff was good, but the ninja and Elektra stuff was bordering on unwatchable for me.

Despite the critical response, I'll still be giving Iron Fist a shot. Maybe my lowered expectations will make it surprisingly enjoyable. Though, I wasn't a fan of the first trailer.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I've... never heard of this. It's a show? I think they'll do fine. I mean, agents of shield was... yeesh.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
MC1980 said:
Need I remind you that Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are both 90%+ on RT for some reason? So is the problem that Iron Fist managed to be scored accurately by accident?
THAT PIECE OF SHIT JESSICA JONES GOT 90%?

HOW THE FUCK? IT'S HORRIBLE!

That show actually got me to hate a hard drinking noir detective girl. I was literally rooting for Kilgrave by the end of it out of sheer contempt for the series.

I mean what the fuck. SHE CATCHES HIM HALF WAY THROUGH AND REFUSES TO KILL HIM TO GET SOME GIRL OFF, BECAUSE THE RETARDED JURY IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE CAN ACCEPT THE AVENGERS AND THAT ALIENS EXIST, BUT NOT REASONABLY BELIEVE IN MIND RAPE.

Fuck Jessica Jones man.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Saelune said:
thebobmaster said:
Saelune said:
If people have a problem with the -character- being white, fine, but he has been white since 1974. If you have a problem with him being white in the show...its called accuracy. Something the new Spider-Man needs to learn, since apparently Peter is the only white kid there.
A bit off-topic, but Peter Parker is going to high school in New York. I'd say the realism of having more of a mixed racial group offsets the "accuracy" of the comic having only white kids by more than a fair share.
Sure, that is fair, and I would expect that, but Flash...that is not Flash. Hes not even taller than Peter! And I made it clear my issues with 'MJ' awhile back.
In my experience the kids who were violent assholes were usually short.
Height correlates with (actually, feel free to google it) intelligence, income, penis size, (for the sake of my snippy joke) morality.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
http://io9.gizmodo.com/finn-jones-latest-dumb-defense-of-iron-fist-its-trumps-1793238288

Apparently it's Trump's fault. 0_0

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
From the reviews, it seems like the most major failing was just really lacklustre fight choreography. Which, in a show about a guy called Iron Fist who does kung fu, seems like a fatal fucking mistake.

I'm trying not to gloat here. Rotten Tomatoes is kind of a shitty site; I'm actually motivated to go give the show a check just to see if it's really bad.

If I was paranoid, I'd say that Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got higher scores because they were about a woman fighting the incarnation of rape culture and a black guy in a hoodie who was bulletproof, whereas Iron Fist is about...a rich white guy who knows magic kung fu. Y'know, there's no social pressure to be forgiving of the show's flaws for the sake of its forward-thinking premise.

But that's paranoia talking. It's probably just a shitty show.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'll wait and see for myself. I developed some pretty serious doubts after that first trailer. Finn Jones looks like a kid on the playground, not a kung fu master. A martial artist is going to be taught and wiry but Jesus the guy is a skinny wimp.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
bastardofmelbourne said:
From the reviews, it seems like the most major failing was just really lacklustre fight choreography. Which, in a show about a guy called Iron Fist who does kung fu, seems like a fatal fucking mistake.
That would have been the only thing I would be watching the series for. They said they had the same guy who did the Daredevil choreography, what the heck happened here?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Souplex said:
In my experience the kids who were violent assholes were usually short.
Height correlates with (actually, feel free to google it) intelligence, income, penis size, (for the sake of my snippy joke) morality.
But the thing is, Flash Thompson is SUPPOSED to be the schoolyard bully. The big fuck on campus, the all-state quarterback in a linebacker's body essentially that beats up on people smaller than him because he can, that is the core of his initial character. He gets better as he and Peter grow up, but he's always supposed to be one of the bigger guys in the room. He's a bear, not a badger.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
MC1980 said:
bastardofmelbourne said:

I'm trying not to gloat here. Rotten Tomatoes is kind of a shitty site; I'm actually motivated to go give the show a check just to see if it's really bad.

If I was paranoid, I'd say that Jessica Jones and Luke Cage got higher scores because they were about a woman fighting the incarnation of rape culture and a black guy in a hoodie who was bulletproof, whereas Iron Fist is about...a rich white guy who knows magic kung fu. Y'know, there's no social pressure to be forgiving of the show's flaws for the sake of its forward-thinking premise.

Some of column A, some of Column B. JJ&LC(&DDs2) are all disproportionatelly highly rated compared to the actual qualities of the respective shows. Luke Cage is at 9-fucking-6%.

What. The. Fuck. Like, scores aren't that important, yadda, yadda, but what the fuck, even at its best it's blatantly flawed in many, many areas, areas that are normally considered to be several minus points if not done well. That show's a very (very) generous 7, but appearantly it's the greatest serial ever? You what?
Luke Cage is not a 9.6/10. Based on IMDB and Metacritic, it's a 7.5-8/10 series. 96% is just how many out of 53 critics gave it a favorable review.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Bob_McMillan said:
MC1980 said:
bastardofmelbourne said:

Some of column A, some of Column B. JJ&LC(&DDs2) are all disproportionatelly highly rated compared to the actual qualities of the respective shows. Luke Cage is at 9-fucking-6%.

What. The. Fuck. Like, scores aren't that important, yadda, yadda, but what the fuck, even at its best it's blatantly flawed in many, many areas, areas that are normally considered to be several minus points if not done well. That show's a very (very) generous 7, but appearantly it's the greatest serial ever? You what?
Luke Cage is not a 9.6/10. Based on IMDB and Metacritic, it's a 7.5-8/10 series. 96% is just how many out of 53 critics gave it a favorable review.
Luke Cage has a 96 on rotten tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/luke_cage

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
After I got tired of Marvel movies with Dr Strange, Luke Cage was a severe drop compared to Jessica Jones, and even Daredevil's nonsensical second season. I watched 7 episodes and it never seemed to get going. There was no tension to it whatsoever. There was zero sense of things being built up to something. The villain was an almost comically ineffective fuck-up. Any story threads that were set up seemed resolved by the time I stopped watching. If Iron Fist truly is bad, I'll sign off Marvel movies and shows for a while and just focus on BBC nature documentaries and House of Cards instead.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dirty Hipsters said:
Bob_McMillan said:
MC1980 said:

Exactly, 96 on the Tomatometer meter just means that 96% of critics like the show. From their site: "The percentage of Tomatometer critics who have given this season - its episodes - a positive review."

Just look at Daredevil Season 1: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/daredevil/s01

It has a 98% Tomatometer score, but it's average rating is only 8/10. I don't know why Luke Cage doesn't have an average rating.

No offense guys, but I thought we already went through all this explaining of what the Tomatometer is when BvS came out.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I watched the trailer that is up on netflix and it reminded me a lot of the first episode of Arrow. Hopes weren't that high any way after Luke Cage.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
That's a shame, I kinda figured the plot might be a bit rubbish given what little I know about the source material, but also figured that if nothing else there would at least have been some entertaining martial arts driven fights to watch. Shame to hear that so far it lacks in both departments, although I'll reserve final opinions for when the show has been released in full.

Maybe the later episodes make up for a lacklustre start? I wouldn't bet on it, but it's possible.

Bob_McMillan said:
It has a 98% Tomatometer score, but it's average rating is only 8/10. I don't know why Luke Cage doesn't have an average rating.
The average rating is listed under season 1, and for Luke Cage is 8.2/10, which I'm not sure I fully agree with but is certainly more reasonable than the 98% number being bandied about.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
Bob_McMillan said:
MC1980 said:
bastardofmelbourne said:

Yes, but you see you're missing his point; A 96% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean the critics think it is amazing and they rate it 10 out of 10. It means 96% of the critics reviews were "favourable". I doubt many of those critics said it was the Citizen Kane of Netflix super heroes.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Is it fair to say that Iron Fist has a boring looking premise from the outside? Billionaire is good at Kung fu is not only unoriginal, but it doesn't even have a theme or perspective to colour it in an interesting way.

DareDevil worked because though what DD was doing was a basic superhero, gangster fighting gig, he was doing it from the perspective of a struggling Catholic lawyer who gets treated differently by society because of a disability. Jessica Jones was interesting because it was approaching the concept of superheroes and super-villainy from the perspective of a rape survivor who had no interest in being a superhero, and a rapist who has no intention of being a super villain. Cage was a weaker show, but it used its setting and black protagonist to talk (albeit, to excess) about what it means to preserve a cultural identity. What exactly does Iron Fist do?