irrational fears

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
suddenly I have this irrational fear that 99% of the gaming community is going to buy a PS4 and servers will collapse at day one :S what is your newish or oldish fear?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
My irrational fear is that the United States will suffer a massive loss in the early days of a surprise war due to the vulnerable design of the latest Littoral Combat Ships (LCS), in addition to air losses because of our overly attentive fixation on the very heavy, and overly designed JSF. Furthermore, I'm afraid that the F-22 won't stack up against the latest Russian jets in dogfights.

These are all irrational fears of course. As Korea and Vietnam proved, what really matters in the end is training.

I'm also slightly concerned about the possibility of deliberately faulty or sabotaged processors and components being integrated into infrastructure/consumer level hardware and even military equipment, due to the meddlings of a certain communist government which governs a nation that has taken over a large portion of the world's technology manufacturing.

Otherwise, my genuine irrational fear is that of strangers carrying pens or pencils, sitting in close proximity to me. Every time, I imagine them stabbing me in the eye. I just can't tell which one.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My irrational fear is that my apartment building will blow up due to a gas leak or something like that.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
Furthermore, I'm afraid that the F-22 won't stack up against the latest Russian jets in dogfights.
A job it's not meant to do. You leave jobs like that to the F15C and F16s, aircraft with high thrust/weight ratios, large payloads and aerodynamic designs built around quick maneuvering which are more fit to tangle with their Russian designed counterparts. The F22 is meant to stand off and engage enemies at long distances using its superior sensor suites/tracking with missiles, then leave the AO before the enemy has a chance to read the side-paneling on the AAMRAAM which just got shoved into their fuselage.

No need to fear this. Next however...

I'm also slightly concerned about the possibility of deliberately faulty or sabotaged processors and components being integrated into infrastructure/consumer level hardware and even military equipment.

Be very, very, very afraid [http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/nsa-has-total-access-via-microsoft-windows/]​

OT: I have an irrational fear of game trophy heads,mostly because I saw The Evil Dead 2 from a young age and was creeped out by the scene where the room begins laughing.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Deep water.

Specifically, water deep enough that I can't see the bottom. That means there could be anything down there. Great big toothy things. Or slow creeping things with tentacles. Or crawling things with way too many legs. I mean, rationally speaking I know there isn't. Probably. But there could be. I mean, it's not like I can look and see that they aren't there now can I? Well, I could dive down and take a look I suppose, but then I'd be way too close to the things that most definitely aren't down there and we can't have that.

It's generally somewhere around this point in my thought process I decide that I've had quite enough of a swim for today thank you very much.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Timotei said:
FizzyIzze said:
Furthermore, I'm afraid that the F-22 won't stack up against the latest Russian jets in dogfights.
A job it's not meant to do. You leave jobs like that to the F15C and F16s, aircraft with high thrust/weight ratios, large payloads and aerodynamic designs built around quick maneuvering which are more fit to tangle with their Russian designed counterparts. The F22 is meant to stand off and engage enemies at long distances using its superior sensor suites/tracking with missiles, then leave the AO before the enemy has a chance to read the side-paneling on the AAMRAAM which just got shoved into their fuselage.

No need to fear this. Next however...
Yeah, normally I would agree with you if not for things like the PAK FA. My fear is besides the point however, as top-line jets rarely face off against each other except in cases like friendly exercises such as Red Flag, the outcome of which is debatable, if not a little disturbing.

Part of me really thinks that investing in the JSF was a mistake. Too many people wanting too many things. I wish we had stuck with the Super Hornet, but that would probably never have made it to light had it not been for the delay of the JSF. And the money spent on the F-22 would probably have been better spent on extending the lifespan of Eagles and Strike Eagles.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about irrational fears, and I'd say fearing the NSA is fairly irrational. I mean, all they did was force manufacturers to build the back doors, it's not like they would actually use them.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
I'm also slightly concerned about the possibility of deliberately faulty or sabotaged processors and components being integrated into infrastructure/consumer level hardware and even military equipment...
somehow this reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon when he was dealing with a gremlin :p thanks for sharing :)

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Zhukov said:
Deep water.

Specifically, water deep enough that I can't see the bottom. That means there could be anything down there.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming." ;) hehehe :p thanks for sharing :)

Jul 10, 2013
Well, I am a hypochondriac so my irrational fear is to think anything wrong with me might be fatal.
I can't tell you the amount of times I've been convinced I have cancer.

Gwen Utopia

Jan 12, 2010
Snails.
Slimy sneaking slow snails.

I'm fine with most other small creatures, spiders, beetles and such but snails creep me the hell out. Something about them is just wrong.

Also people touching or grabbing my throat/neck make me majorly uncomfortable, dunno why though...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Most people. I get super freaked out when I try to talk to people, and I don't really know why, although I've been led to believe it's because of either:

- Being told for years to hush up and not bother people.
- Asperger's Syndrome

I more inclined to believe the former, since I have no idea who or when I was apparently diagnosed with Asperger's (I only found out because of hospital release papers that said I had been diagnosed some years before, but seeing as I was put into the hospital under false pretenses, I wouldn't be surprised if that was false as well, although from what I understand of Asperger's, I probably do have it).

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
Fursuits. Now I know a couple of furries and they are pretty nice guys and I know that the common depiction of furries is an exaggeration. But, something about those suits just downright unsettles me. Maybe, it's just the unreal, unblinking eyes those suits have, but idea that the person that wears it wants the suit to be their skin freaks me out. I like my body and the idea of putting on a suit, being trapped inside, having interior of the suit fusing to my flesh and mutating my skull in to that of another animal just terrifies me. Maybe, I could get used to my new body, but I would be unable to cope with not being able to go back to my old self ever again.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
- Grapes freak me out, especially if they are rolling around unchecked. At least 'm not afraid of carrots anymore.
- Heights above 2ft, like standing on a chair.
- Bugs, butterflies and roaches in particular. That Spongebob episode where the whole town is in a panic because of a butterfly had me scared along with them. I couldn't even watch whenever they did a close-up of that thing. Roaches and me don't get along, they're creepy and crawly and sometimes they fly.
- Frogs and specifically small lizards *shudder*. Snakes are surprisingly awesome to me, they're nice to pet and hold.
- Wooden houses. I don't get Americans and their love of building them; I always feel like anyone can just break through the walls with an axe or something or the structure will collapse because its not made to the same concrete standards in my country, though that may be because we're where aragonite (used to make concrete) comes from so of course we use it for our buildings and stuff.
- Uncooked poultry/meats (beef is kinda ok), live seafood - this is why I'm a pastry chef instead of a culinary one.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
... enclosed water slides.

You know, those plastic tubes at water parks? They make me feel like I'm going to drown.

Open-top water slides don't bother me. Nor do enclosed roller coasters. Just enclosed water slides.

Also centipedes. They're so disgusting... ugh. Sure, they're pretty much harmless... but so disgusting.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Another one for deep water. It's not even just swimming that gets me, just looking at an open body of water especially an ocean scares me. Totally at least FIFTY sharks down there at all times.

Also sudden Internet explosion or something. I have a good number of friends I have only met online and I would hate to lose all contact with them.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
The other day we had rumours that 2ch was going down.
Tha actually scared the crap out of me

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Zhukov said:
Deep water.

Specifically, water deep enough that I can't see the bottom. That means there could be anything down there. Great big toothy things. Or slow creeping things with tentacles. Or crawling things with way too many legs. I mean, rationally speaking I know there isn't. Probably. But there could be. I mean, it's not like I can look and see that they aren't there now can I? Well, I could dive down and take a look I suppose, but then I'd be way too close to the things that most definitely aren't down there and we can't have that.

It's generally somewhere around this point in my thought process I decide that I've had quite enough of a swim for today thank you very much.
This. Sometimes I've even had that fear in a swimming pool.

Also I occaisonally become terrified on stairs that I will fall down (or even up) them and make my knee go backwards.

EDIT: Also also, I don't like walking underneath spiders. I'm not even scared of spiders.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
All phobia's are generally irrational. For me that's spiders and heights. Though I'm trying to overcome them bit by bit at every opportunity I get.

As for other fears. That I die suddenly, leaving everyone I know well online, or everyone I know in real life but don't see that often, without knowing what happened.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
sanquin said:
All phobia's are generally irrational...
I'm not sure about that, fear of dying from a poison insect/spider bite seems pretty rational to me ;) thanks for sharing :)