Irrational: PS3 Won't Hold Back BioShock Infinite

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Jumplion said:
Oh for goodness sake, I thought we were over the "PS3 is too hard to develop for!" thing? It's been nearly, like, what, 5 years or something since it came out? I think that's plenty of time to get the hang of things.
I think it's now more an issue of trying to build the PS3 version alongside the 360 and PC versions. The 360s architecture is essentially that of a PC's, so it's easier to develop them both at the same time.

If you've then got to put that on something else in the same time-frame then it's harder.
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
Woodsey said:
Jumplion said:
Oh for goodness sake, I thought we were over the "PS3 is too hard to develop for!" thing? It's been nearly, like, what, 5 years or something since it came out? I think that's plenty of time to get the hang of things.
I think it's now more an issue of trying to build the PS3 version alongside the 360 and PC versions. The 360s architecture is essentially that of a PC's, so it's easier to develop them both at the same time.

If you've then got to put that on something else in the same time-frame then it's harder.
Then if that's the case, the argument is not "it's too hard!", instead it's "too time consuming" which, considering that Infinite is supposed to come out in 2012, I think Irrational should have plenty of time to iron out any kinks on any platform.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
Jumplion said:
Oh for goodness sake, I thought we were over the "PS3 is too hard to develop for!" thing? It's been nearly, like, what, 5 years or something since it came out? I think that's plenty of time to get the hang of things.
I think it's now more an issue of trying to build the PS3 version alongside the 360 and PC versions. The 360s architecture is essentially that of a PC's, so it's easier to develop them both at the same time.

If you've then got to put that on something else in the same time-frame then it's harder.
Then if that's the case, the argument is not "it's too hard!", instead it's "too time consuming" which, considering that Infinite is supposed to come out in 2012, I think Irrational should have plenty of time to iron out any kinks on any platform.
Yeah, well it's time consuming because it's hard.
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
Woodsey said:
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
Jumplion said:
Oh for goodness sake, I thought we were over the "PS3 is too hard to develop for!" thing? It's been nearly, like, what, 5 years or something since it came out? I think that's plenty of time to get the hang of things.
I think it's now more an issue of trying to build the PS3 version alongside the 360 and PC versions. The 360s architecture is essentially that of a PC's, so it's easier to develop them both at the same time.

If you've then got to put that on something else in the same time-frame then it's harder.
Then if that's the case, the argument is not "it's too hard!", instead it's "too time consuming" which, considering that Infinite is supposed to come out in 2012, I think Irrational should have plenty of time to iron out any kinks on any platform.
Yeah, well it's time consuming because it's hard.
And it's hard because it's time consuming and you don't want to waste time, but whatever, I think most of us can agree that we are excited as fuck for Infinite to come out.
 

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
1,657
0
0
Tom Goldman said:
To do this, Irrational is actually making the development of the game harder. Kline says that instead of declaring the PC, PS3, or Xbox 360 a "lead platform," it has "changed the game engine so that all platforms look (to a programmer) more like a PS3." Some technical details are in the post [http://irrationalgames.com/community/forums/ask-irrational/please-tell-me-your-new-game-will-be-on-ps3], but Kline basically wrote that this is both optimal for the PS3 and provides speed improvements on other platforms.
Sooo essentially... Because they made the game more like a ps3 title... Its better on the other consoles....

*Takes some smugness from this fact*
 

theultimateend

New member
Nov 1, 2007
3,621
0
0
Orcus_35 said:
personally i don't think this game will deliver much more than the previous Bioshocks...
I consider any sequel that doesn't deliver less to be a success.

I find it somewhat sad that it came to that really.

"Oh look this is the same as the last one, at least it's not shit with half the game stripped out of it like generic game X.

I enjoyed Bioshock, so if Bioshock Infinite is the same game in the air, I'll probably enjoy myself just as much again.

rockyoumonkeys said:
I hate when they start hyping games years before their release. The wait is going to be difficult enough.
The longer you make people wait, the higher their expectations go, and the lower your overall review score will be even if the content is the same at varying points.

There is, I think, a tipping point for this. Something like a black hole of waiting, if a game takes too long it will reset and the expectations will be low again. So anything at that point works.

So say your game has 3 options. If you hyped it a week before you released it, those 3 options would be rated higher on a number scale than if you hyped it two weeks before you released it. To put my point brutally short and possibly erroneous by doing so.

I'm sure the 2012 release tag will do little to help the overall enjoyment people take away from the game. Gamers have a very unrealistic set of expectations from major publishers, they are just indie developers with better graphics teams (basically).
 

beema

New member
Aug 19, 2009
944
0
0
these days I'm more concerned with the PC version being a shit port of the 360 version. Don't let me down, Levine, mr. "PCs are the future of gaming."
 

Corpse XxX

New member
Jan 19, 2009
1,635
0
0
Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
Hey, what a coincidence.. i just happened to notice the NT tag on your profile picture..
Awesome servers, play there all the time, noticed we had lot of friends in common also.
 

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
2,651
0
0
Corpse XxX said:
Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
Hey, what a coincidence.. i just happened to notice the NT tag on your profile picture..
Awesome servers, play there all the time, noticed we had lot of friends in common also.
Why thank you, glad to hear it, although the servers have been pretty dead on account for Left 4 Dead 2 and Minecraft, I must start playing on there again.
 

Corpse XxX

New member
Jan 19, 2009
1,635
0
0
Megacherv said:
Corpse XxX said:
Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
Hey, what a coincidence.. i just happened to notice the NT tag on your profile picture..
Awesome servers, play there all the time, noticed we had lot of friends in common also.
Why thank you, glad to hear it, although the servers have been pretty dead on account for Left 4 Dead 2 and Minecraft, I must start playing on there again.
Yeah, i only play TF2 on NT server, fast respawn PL and CP.. usually with Uberphoenix and backendofhorse and so on.. Cant remember seeing your name there though..
You should join us sometime, i will usually be the one laughing uncontrollably :p
[lol]Leigh King Dick be the name :)
When i play L4D2, i have no clue as to what server i am on, since it chooses servers by itself it seems..
 

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
2,651
0
0
Corpse XxX said:
Megacherv said:
Corpse XxX said:
Megacherv said:
UE3 (if they've finally decided to upgrade from UE2.5) is meant to be very well supported on the PS3 I think, what with Unreal Tournament 3 being far superior on the PS3 version than the 360 version.
Hey, what a coincidence.. i just happened to notice the NT tag on your profile picture..
Awesome servers, play there all the time, noticed we had lot of friends in common also.
Why thank you, glad to hear it, although the servers have been pretty dead on account for Left 4 Dead 2 and Minecraft, I must start playing on there again.
Yeah, i only play TF2 on NT server, fast respawn PL and CP.. usually with Uberphoenix and backendofhorse and so on.. Cant remember seeing your name there though..
You should join us sometime, i will usually be the one laughing uncontrollably :p
[lol]Leigh King Dick be the name :)
When i play L4D2, i have no clue as to what server i am on, since it chooses servers by itself it seems..
Ahh yes, Uber and Backend, and I think I've seen you on our gametracker thingamajig on our website.

*realises we've gone massively off-topic*

*ahem* Unreal Engine, PS3...stuff that's on topic...yeah...
 

Treblaine

New member
Jul 25, 2008
8,682
0
0
Jumplion said:
Oh for goodness sake, I thought we were over the "PS3 is too hard to develop for!" thing? It's been nearly, like, what, 5 years or something since it came out? I think that's plenty of time to get the hang of things.

Whatever, it's good that Irrational are taking a varied approach to this, and regardless of what platform it's on, it's going to look amazing no matter what to me. Seriously, that gameplay footage of Infinite got me pumped.
Well making any modern game IS hard, the problem is more that PS3 is the odd one out. Xbox 360 and PC have mostly similar architecture (IBM vs x86 mean they aren't completely cross compatible). PS3 has a more powerful but less flexible GPU. I.e. more shaders but not unified. Just as much memory but not-unified, the Cell SPUs are very powerful but effectively in 6 different parts, it's not unified.

Now IF when you are designing the game you divide everything up (lighting, textures, water effect, etc) into these packets that PS3 can easily handle, then 360 could theoretically just combine them all together again into their unified structure.

But on paper 360 is less powerful, in a way this is treating PS3 as the lead platform, there will be a certain amount of "porting" to Xbox 360. Performance may struggle on 360 as you get a kind of "three stooges" effect, three things trying to go through the same door at once and it crapping out. But that shouldn't affect framerate or resolution, probably more texture loading or popping in effects.

I wonder how PC will handle with this? From other examples like Resident Evil 5 this usually works out very well for PC, as trying to find the common-ground between PS3 and 360 you kinda get a PC version for "free" as the lowest common denominator.

The ace up PC's sleeve is it combines the best of both worlds: unified architecture AND being much more powerful. Ken Levine has also expressed his great fondness of PC, he mainly recruits from the PC modding scene, so I think this one will be treated right (though here's hoping for better FOV support out of the gate).
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
Treblaine said:
Eh, even with all of that, I still don't think anyone needs to complain about it anymore. I'm not saying Ken Levine is, but if we're still pointing to an article almost 1 1/2 years old [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92333-Valve-Says-PS3-Complexity-Hinders-Game-Development] when that company is finally switching over to PS3, with Steamworks no less, then I think we all just need to step back and say, "Whatever, make us a great game regardless of platform."

Though I think I'm rambling here, it's early in the morning...