Irrational: We Had to Fail Before We Could Succeed With BioShock Infinite

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
hurricanejbb said:
Pity they didn't take that route with Bioshock 2. Still, I'm optimistic knowing they put a lot of effort into creating a new experience rather than just a rehash.
They didn't make Bioshock 2. Irrational are owned by 2K. Ken Levine of Irrational came up with the idea, 2K greenlit it. It was succesful, 2K wanted to make a few bucks off a quick sequel. Levine said he had a vision for the next game and he didn't want to rush it. 2K told 2K Marin to do it and they ballsed it up.

So Irrational have been working on this game and nothing else for 5 years since the last game was released. The setting is unique, some interesting new concepts have been added and the core of the game is tried and true. It sounds like a great game to me.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
Youtube the Bioshock Infinite: Story and characters interview. Recent vid on IGN's channel apparently from playstation.blog. Interview with Ken Levine. Shows some very dramatic short clips and he talks about the songbird and some of his aims for the overall game. I was already stoked, but now I can't friggin wait.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Wow. I wish they only thought the same when they worked on Bioshock so maybe they could have made something other than "Poor Man's System Shock" instead. Infinite will be as worthless as it's two predecessors.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
To the tune of "Rise Rapture Rise"

Rise Infinite Rise!
Make it not
Just Bioshock in the skies!

2k Marin shat on that franchise
A bit of a turd in art deco disguise
Let's turn our heads and adjust our eyes
Riiiise Infinate Riiiise!

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
"It wasn't impossible to build Rapture at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to build it anywhere else... Except in the sky of course!"

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Is that why we haven't seen any more of the "Handy Man" from the teaser trailer? Because he seemed to much like the Big Daddies? It looks like they replaced him with Songbird, who's still kind of the Big Daddy of Infinite.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
The impression I get, especially from how Ken describes their aim in that new characters interview trailer, is that with Bioshock 1, they ended up overwhelming you with the experience you by enveloping you in the city. Whereas this one, they want to overwhelm you with the sheer impressiveness of the city in the sky. Which is what Columbia was kind of meant to do, so sayeth the article in Game Informer.

So it's still going for powerful, but from a different angle. I love what I see so far and really can't wait!