Irrelevant game titles

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
PreviouslyPwned said:
DmC: Devil May Cry

Utterly pointless. What were they thinking?
Well to be fair, that is not exactly irrelevant. It IS damn stupid though I will give you that.

Well since OP already picked Half Life, I will say Braid. Doesn't exactly translate to pretentious indie ga- I mean collecting stars and puzle pieces in a world ripped of from Mario...Yes I do mean ripped off.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
oplinger said:
OT: I think Dragon Age is what springs to mind immediately. It's not really an age of dragons. It's just..an age were there are a couple of dragons? They definitely aren't new. They don't have a lot to do with the game or the era. I guess dragons just summon images of awesomeness? I don't know, but you could have named the games something else, and it probably would have been okay.
That was my first thought too, but then I pondered it a bit more, and yeah, it's a Dragon Age. Dragons have been gone for ages, now they're back, and even if they maybe-are-but-maybe-aren't dragons (at least one is a crazy lady who lives in the woods, and the others are demons who look like dragons, or maybe that's what real dragons always were, or...whatever) the people are now living in an age which contains dragons.

I wonder what they call the ages in between?

"Yeah, for a while there it was the cold age - very chilly that one - but that ended, became the carrot age. Unusually good harvest of carrots we had for a few years. Of course, now it's a dragon age, and it's all academic really because the blight killed thousands of people so nobody is very interested in carrots anymore. Shame really, because my brother in law was growing some lovely ones before an ogre ate his head."

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
Personally, I quite like Half Life as a title. I think it's pretty smart, although it may not reflect the game, I, or any my friends, won't judge a game before they've seen it on it's title, well I hope they wouldn't :p

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jennacide said:
shrekfan246 said:
Many, many indie games. Probably more than I could bother to actually mention.

Going for the bigger targets, then...

With no prior knowledge of the franchises?

Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Sins of a Solar Empire, Crysis, Far Cry, The Witcher, Demon's/Dark Souls, any numbered Final Fantasy, Resonance of Fate, Okami, Devil May Cry, Brutal Legend, Mass Effect, Sleeping Dogs, Prototype, inFamous, Killzone, Just Cause 2, any game named after a mascot such as Sonic or Mario, Halo, BlazBlue...

Of course, that's being a little disingenuous. But really, to a complete outsider of the gaming industry, none of these names alone would really convey what the games themselves are actually about.
Half the games you just mentioned have perfectly fine titles that are pulled from the game. OP's question was about titles that have literally nothing to do with the game. (Though Half-life sort of does, but whatever) Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Dark Souls, Okami, Mass Effect, Prototype and Halo all make perfect sense, and who doesn't know who Mario or Sonic are these days?

And it's not like this issue is only a gaming one. How many movies or books have titles that make no sense as to what you are reading?
That's why I said it's being disingenuous... and mentioned twice that I'm talking about the names of video games in reference to people who have no knowledge of their franchises...

If you knew nothing about the game, series, company, movie, or following, what would you think when you heard the name Silent Hill? Probably not "foggy haunted town filled by a person's tortured self-conscious". Prototype conjures up images of machines more than a virus that mutates a person into a bio-weapon. I wouldn't think Halo is a first-person shooter where you control a space marine and kill aliens. And who are the super Mario brothers? Why are they suddenly new? Why is the sequel still new, and why is there another sequel titled with a 'U' instead? What the hell does "mass effect" mean? I'm no biochemist or physicist.

Do you see what I mean? We don't question it because we've spent so much time engaged in the gaming industry that it just makes sense to us now. "Okami, oh yeah, that's Amaterasu-omikami, the character you control in a game about a wolf!"

Even think about Metroid or The Legend of Zelda. What is a metroid? Outside of the context of the game, it has no meaning. The Legend of Zelda? The actual legends are almost always about the Hero of Time.

When you take them along with the context of the games they're about, sure, the names can sometimes make sense. But without that context, what images come to your mind first when you hear those words?

To cherry pick an example here, take Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. That brings to mind exactly what it contains inside when you read its name: Military warfare, likely filled with tons of guns and explosions. Anybody would probably be able to suppose that much, just from the name alone. You can't do that with Halo or Prototype or Dark Souls. We just don't question it because it's so ingrained in the social unconscious by now that finding someone who hasn't at least heard of Halo is a surprise in itself. But seriously, find somebody who doesn't play video games, tell them there's a game called Dark Souls, and ask what they think it's about. I doubt they'll say "brutal fantasy action-RPG set in a hostile, lonely world".

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
DMC=DmC

Yeah that's irked me for some time now and how about The World ends with you.

Captcha: Banana Bread, don't mind if I make some myself!.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
piinyouri said:
Far Cry
Possibly they were saying "You're a far cry from kansas" or just any safe place in general, highlighting the very hostile environment you are placed into.
Probably something to do with it using the Cryengine.

I am apparently the enemy of fun.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Probably Final Fantasy.

Sure, the fantasy part makes sense, but none of the games were the "Final" in the series or their genre. (It makes sense with the first one though, as at the time, it was supposed to be Square's last game)

Also, for the most part, the games have nothing to do with each other in terms of story. If it weren't for the game's iconic critters and music, it would probably be easy to mistake one game as not being part of the series. You could probably give FFVII a different title and remove the bits with the chocobos and moogles and I don't think much would change. (Except perhaps sales due to brand recognition, but that's sorta irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make)

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
lacktheknack said:
So I just realized that my favorite game, Mirror's Edge, has a kind of stupid title.

You'd think that a more accurate and enticing title would be "Framed", I don't know, I'm not very good at titles.
Frames typically cover the edges of mirrors... So... maybe that's what they were going for...

I always thought Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia should have switched titles.

In Tales of the Abyss one of the main characters fights using music so Symphonia would have been a perfect title for that game!

And like, what does Resident Evil mean?
Titles are just one of those things you have to go with.

syrdefi

Aug 26, 2010
I'd say "Mass Effect" is an odd title. I mean, it has meaning within the game universe, but it's not really that significant to the overall narrative.

It's like if Star Trek were called "Matter/Antimatter Warp Core Engine". Yes, it exists within the world, but it's not what the story is about.

Not that I know what Mass Effect should be called...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
LOL Muv Luv Alternative takes the cake for stupid title but has great content

You would never figure out that it is a mecha visual novel from a title like that

Think "muv luv" is suppose to mean "more love" or something

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't want to quote anyone directly since more than one person...I think has mentioned Revengance. That is a stupid word and title but dammit, I think it's a better word than 'guesstimate' and the phrase 'same difference'. It irks me to know end when people use those last two but at least one can gain revenge and vengeance at the same time with the right murder.

Anyway, rant over. Let's talk about game titles!

Final Fantasy has been a stupid title since Final Fantasy II

The Last Story...I haven't beaten this one so maybe everybody and everything dies in the end.

Resident Evil, a series wherein the Residents of a mansion, city, town, etc aren't so much evil as they are infected with Zombie-Plague...and/or Monsterism. Granted there are some evil residents like Wesker but he isn't the only one Resident who is Evil.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Metal Gear Solid is a ridiculous title, probably only beaten by Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater. It's like someone was blindly stabbing at Metallica lyrics and stuck them all together.

But as for titles that are actively misleading as to the type of game Superbrothers: Sword and Sourcery EP made me think it was some sort of sprite RPG (although since it's even got EP in the title, that was probably more my fault). ICO doesn't conjure up any sort of image at all (it'd hard to think of a fitting name), I still don't relate it with the game it is, it sounds like some sci-fi or business acronym.

shrekfan246 said:

Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Sins of a Solar Empire, Crysis, Far Cry, The Witcher, Demon's/Dark Souls, any numbered Final Fantasy, Resonance of Fate, Okami, Devil May Cry, Brutal Legend, Mass Effect, Sleeping Dogs, Prototype, inFamous, Killzone, Just Cause 2, any game named after a mascot such as Sonic or Mario, Halo, BlazBlue...

Of course, that's being a little disingenuous. But really, to a complete outsider of the gaming industry, none of these names alone would really convey what the games themselves are actually about.
I don't really agree with a lot of those examples. Silent Hill sounds pretty horror to me and Sins of a Solar Empire has the word Empire which is a fair clue to an empire building game (although the 'Sins of' part is confusing.) Final Fantasy is a fantasy game, Mass Effect sounds Sci-Fi. I guess making a stab at genre would be hard, but I don't think they carry impressions of genre's they're not.

I don't think the OP meant titles which can't be fully understood without knowledge of the game, but names which give an incorrect impression of the game. Okami suggests some sort of weird Japanese thing and thats what it turns out to be, but someone hearing Mirrors Edge and thinking of a puzzle game is a bit different. Killzone makes you think of a game about war and killing which doesn't mislead you at least.

I think if you see Brütal Legend without the umlaut that might give entirely the wrong impression of the game and Sleeping Dogs still doesn't make me think of anything like what the game actually is.

(Unrelated, did you ever play/finish Resonance of Fate? I got 20 hours into but the game seemed so long and I wasn't sure if it was going anywhere and couldn't finish. Does it go on for a lot longer?)
Sorry for not snipping most of your post, I'm using my phone right now, and it makes it kinda hard to delete large amounts of text.

Anywho referring to MGS3: Snake Eater.

From what I've heard Snake Eaters was a term given to a certain group of spec ops. I'm not entirely sure.

What I do know, is that the group of people you're trying to kill in MGS3, are called "The Cobras", so it kinda makes sense to me.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Many, many indie games. Probably more than I could bother to actually mention.

Going for the bigger targets, then...

After this, almost all of the titles in media, not only video games make no sense.

"Pride and Prejudice" a love story, "Of Mice and Men" workers and the story of a mentally challenged man, "Requiem for an Empire" the unjust persecution of a director, "The Seventh Seal" a knight playing death in a game of chess and contemplating life, "Doctor Who" the adventures of a time traveler... By your definition a lot titles say nothing. A little exaggerated.

OT: I think not much of the titles but try to read a little about the game, because there are a lot of possible reasons that a game is titled in such a way.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
syrdefi said:
I'd say "Mass Effect" is an odd title. I mean, it has meaning within the game universe, but it's not really that significant to the overall narrative.

It's like if Star Trek were called "Matter/Antimatter Warp Core Engine". Yes, it exists within the world, but it's not what the story is about.

Not that I know what Mass Effect should be called...
The mass effect fields are a key feature to the entire universe. It's the defining aspect of the entire technology. It makes perfect sense to put it as a title. Also, I've heard the mass effect itself was going to have an even more significant arc and be tied to the ending in some way. Something to do with...umm running out or whatever - it was damaging the universe or similar. For example, in that mission where you get Tali in Mass Effect 2 - the sun had gone haywire over the planet for unknown reason - that was tied to the mass effect arc. But the arc got scrapped.

shrekfan246 said:
That's why I said it's being disingenuous... and mentioned twice that I'm talking about the names of video games in reference to people who have no knowledge of their franchises...
But the same can be said for any medium, as I said before - it's not unique to games. Let me just quote Snoop Dogg[footnote]from when he was Snoop Dogg...not sure how to credit the quote, so I'll go with that[/footnote] "I keep hearing about muthafucking Harry Potter. Who is this muthafucker?"

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
scorptatious said:
Sorry for not snipping most of your post, I'm using my phone right now, and it makes it kinda hard to delete large amounts of text.

Anywho referring to MGS3: Snake Eater.

From what I've heard Snake Eaters was a term given to a certain group of spec ops. I'm not entirely sure.

What I do know, is that the group of people you're trying to kill in MGS3, are called "The Cobras", so it kinda makes sense to me.
Yeah I think you're right actually. And you spend a lot of time eating snakes. And the main character is called Snake. It's on its own the collection of Metal, gear, solid, snake and eater are pretty bizzare but it's probably my favourite title of the series, Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots are more normal sounding but they're a little bit humdrum whereas Snake Eater is actually quite powerful imagery for the game

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
oplinger said:
OT: I think Dragon Age is what springs to mind immediately. It's not really an age of dragons. It's just..an age were there are a couple of dragons? They definitely aren't new. They don't have a lot to do with the game or the era. I guess dragons just summon images of awesomeness? I don't know, but you could have named the games something else, and it probably would have been okay.
That was my first thought too, but then I pondered it a bit more, and yeah, it's a Dragon Age. Dragons have been gone for ages, now they're back, and even if they maybe-are-but-maybe-aren't dragons (at least one is a crazy lady who lives in the woods, and the others are demons who look like dragons, or maybe that's what real dragons always were, or...whatever) the people are now living in an age which contains dragons.

I wonder what they call the ages in between?
If you're genuinely curious, there was of course a codex entry listing them [http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Ages].

The cynical reason they called it "Dragon Age" is because it's an epic fantasy RPG, and "dragon" is shorthand for "epic fantasy". If they called it "The Blight", or "Darkspawn Menace", or "Grey Wardens", it wouldn't automatically suggest "people fight dragons with swords and sorcery".

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Resident Evil, a series wherein the Residents of a mansion, city, town, etc aren't so much evil as they are infected with Zombie-Plague...and/or Monsterism. Granted there are some evil residents like Wesker but he isn't the only one Resident who is Evil.
The original creator doesn't even like that title either. He would prefer using "Biohazard" worldwide.

OT: Saints Row. The Row was only prominent in the first. It's not even mentioned in The Third.

And The Darkness, google that and you'll see Justin Hawkins face plastered everywhere, which is marginally more scary.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
kurokotetsu said:
DoPo said:
I'm not singling out games. I'm bringing them up because the thread is about games, not movies or books or music. If it were about movies, I'd bring up movies. If it were about books, I'd bring up books. Because yes, I do believe that most of the titles given to a piece of entertainment are irrelevant to the content that the entertainment holds. If you do not have the context when you're going into something, you're probably only going to have the barest minimum knowledge of what you should be expecting based on the title alone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it is something that happens all the time. I've done it myself with the title of a novel I'm writing.

BrotherRool said:
I don't really agree with a lot of those examples. Silent Hill sounds pretty horror to me and Sins of a Solar Empire has the word Empire which is a fair clue to an empire building game (although the 'Sins of' part is confusing.) Final Fantasy is a fantasy game, Mass Effect sounds Sci-Fi. I guess making a stab at genre would be hard, but I don't think they carry impressions of genre's they're not.
I wasn't basing my 'accusations', I suppose, on how closely they might sound like whatever genre they happen to be in. On that account, yes, you could probably surmise that Silent Hill is likely a thriller of some sort, SoaSE might be some sort of space-age empire game, and Mass Effect might be a science-fiction game.

I was more referring to how ridiculous it is to see something like Final Fantasy XIII-2, when you have no knowledge about the franchise at all.

I don't think the OP meant titles which can't be fully understood without knowledge of the game, but names which give an incorrect impression of the game. Okami suggests some sort of weird Japanese thing and thats what it turns out to be, but someone hearing Mirrors Edge and thinking of a puzzle game is a bit different. Killzone makes you think of a game about war and killing which doesn't mislead you at least.

I think if you see Brütal Legend without the umlaut that might give entirely the wrong impression of the game and Sleeping Dogs still doesn't make me think of anything like what the game actually is.
This is again why I specified that I was being disingenuous. I suppose I should go back and edit the post to state in big bold letters that I was being facetious, since everyone is taking it so seriously. Yes, a lot of those games have titles related to the games themselves, but that doesn't really help people who don't have prior knowledge, does it?

I could, of course, come up with games that fit the OP's bill closer than my original post (Vanquish, Dark Void, Darksiders) if it appeases everyone's sensibilities.

(Unrelated, did you ever play/finish Resonance of Fate? I got 20 hours into but the game seemed so long and I wasn't sure if it was going anywhere and couldn't finish. Does it go on for a lot longer?)
I have played it but not that far yet, because I often get side-tracked by other things and games end up falling into my backlog. It has seemed like one of the more unique JRPGs I've played, though, and that's what interested me in the first place.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Catfood220 said:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a really stupid name. Its not actually a word, its two words that mean the same thing squashed together. I would of loved to be a fly on the wall in that planning meeting, I think it went a little like this:

9.30AM in a game developers office.

"Ok boss, I've thought of a name for this game, get this, what if we put revenge and vengeance together...Revengeance. GOD I'M SO AWESOME!!! Right, my work here is done, I'm going down the pub."
You have surpassed even the Boss. I shall name you BIG BOSS.

I mean c'mon. Did you expect something better from those people?

(but) I do think revengeance was a real word used in the old days.