Is 1-on-1 online matches worth it?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I have played many players online for 1-on-1 matches and for a while, it seemed like a really great feature (especially finding someone who plays a game that may not be as mainstream as other titles). Then, as I started getting better, I notice a rather annoying trend: players will quit (or "disconnect") from a match for fear of losing and ruining their "undefeated streak."

Like many players online, I could care less about my wins/loss ratio, so long as I get better as I continue to play the game. There are always going to be players who are more experience than I am or experts in certain aspects of a game. What bothers me is people who would rather flee than loss in a match because it completely ruins the experience.

On multiplayer gameplay, I'm sure it's less of an eyesore (except when half your team drops and you're faced with many expert players) and there are measures that penalized players from abruptly leaving a match, but the frequency in which players flee from 1-on-1 is unbearable.

This actually prevented me from playing multiplayer games for a while, especially more well know titles, but I've grown to enjoy those games once more.

I just want to know if 1-on-1 matches are worth the effort, or if they should only stick online matches to games that offer multiplayer matches?

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Meh. I really don't do 1v1 because I prefer playing on a team. In most games I play online (strategy), I prefer to slowly build up a massive army, which leaves me weak in the start. If there are other players to protect me, I last longer and usually win.

And that's "Are 1-on-1 online matches worth it?"

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I actually prefer people disconnecting in 1v1 compared to team-based games, as they don't but others in a worse situation because of it. In Halo for instance, losing a guy really puts you down and stacks the odds against you.
That being said, I don't like people quitting in 1v1s either, it's got that feel of you picking up your marbles and walking home. There is always that indignant pride you get when someone quits on ya because you're beating them though :p