Is 35 Too Late To Learn An Instrument?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Title. Need something to whittle away the winter months here, and don't want to get sucked into WoW again.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
F**k no, son! Get yourself an electric keyboard. Takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. Boom. Grand.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Only if you mean that weird magic instrument that can only be learnt by people under 35.

What's with that thing?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Only if you mean that weird magic instrument that can only be learnt by people under 35.

What's with that thing?
Haha point taken. I just mean that my reflexes and coordination are not quite what they used to be.

As pedestrian as it sounds, I really want to learn guitar. One of my unlikely Bucket List items is one day being able to play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI57QHL6ge0

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Go for it. An older brain is not as adaptable as a younger brain, but training can make up for that in time, especially if you have any prior musical training or can relate the guitar notes with something else you're already familiar with.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
The only time it's too late to learn something is when you're dead. (Obvious disclaimers apply. I wouldn't try learning to do parkour in my seventies, for instance.)

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
If you have the time and dedication, no.

The dedication needs to be there, though. You're probably going to be less able to pick things up right away, so repetition is key.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
If you want to, go for it!

(I never got that good at playing the violin, but I'm happy I learned it, and I should come back to it sometime.)

Right now, I've just started learning sleight of hand, and I'm loving it (and I'm 37).

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Nah, now's a great time to start learning new stuff! We got the internet now, with all the resources it has to offer.

Though I do think private tutors are the way to go, I'm sure you can get a lot closer to that level of instruction with the help of technology, compared to trying to learn an instrument 20 years ago.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
Starbird said:
Title. Need something to whittle away the winter months here, and don't want to get sucked into WoW again.
It does, sadly, take longer not least because those of us around this age don't have as much spare time as the teenagers! Unless you turn out to be a hereto unknown guitar genius or virtuoso, you won't be playing Satriani by the time Winter ends but you should have made a nice bit of progress. I would say that track is a very reachable goal and there's no reason why you shouldn't have scrubbed it off your bucket list within a couple of years.

I believe the trick with beginners' guitars is to get a good one when you start. It doesn't have to break the bank, but you don't want something that can't be set up or tuned properly. So many people start with a cheap guitar that is so crap it's just off-putting and they think they'll never be able to play and give up - what's holding them back is the instrument. I've seen some that are basically extended egg-slicers that can be amplified, rather than 'musical instruments'. Equally, you don't need to buy a professional's set up.

Have a look at Ibanez, Epiphone and Squier for cheaper yet still good guitars. Everyone has their own opinion and there are millions of them out there online of course - people will say you have to have this kind of wood, or that kind of pickup, or this type of neck construction or otherwise your guitar is crap but you will get something nice for $200 to $300 regardless. After a year or two you'll be in a position to make your own informed choice and hit those sweet, sweet, Satriani notes but until then, I wouldn't get too bogged down in the finer details. Get something half decent and a half decent practice amp - a good music shop will help you out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ibanez+electric+guitar&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aibanez+electric+guitar

Chemical Alia said:
Nah, now's a great time to start learning new stuff! We got the internet now, with all the resources it has to offer.
Indeed we do! Video lessons are now available without paywalls taking you from brand new beginner to master-shredder or flamenco god(dess). One of my favourite series is from an Aussie guy called Justin Sandercoe who is just clearly so happy about doing anything with a guitar, you can't help but be inspired :) Lessons for all abilities, no paywalls, just donations and merchandising if you want to support him and there are lots of others. Give it a look:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

There are plenty of other more formal online options with plenty of other more formal payment methods (!) but when you're starting it's great to have these free resources, rather than being committed to an expensive learning route.

Good luck!

YicklePigeon

Jan 3, 2012
As others have said, it isn't too late and if I can add: don't let the difficulty get to you. :)

As it is, I'm 30 and recently bought a sewing machine to learn how to use! Something completely out of my comfort zone, but damn I want to learn how to make my own Monster Maroon...but baby steps first. :) Also, like yourself (hopefully), I'm attempting yet again to learn the guitar.

Its not as if there isn't a multitude of different routes either, be they in the form of YouTube videos, Dummies (and of that type) books, and of course RockSmith on Steam. :) Though I'd recommend you nip into a music shop and try out various instruments to see which suits you. You could end up coming out that shop with a harmonica, or a violin, or a drum kit...

Either way though? Good luck, have fun and no rush for 15! :)

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
picked up the violin recently at about my mid 30's and done a lot of research into adult learning and late beginners.
from what i can gather the adult brain is less adaptable at learning new things but better at relating concepts.
while you show a child how to do something and they pick it up in a kind of monkey see monkey do sort of way adults tend to learn better by cross referencing things they already know, with kids you can just show them how to do something and get them to copy and repeat until they can do it but most adults need to know why they are doing it and be given an example "you need to hold it this way so your arm can move freely later." "move your arm as if you were painting a fence."

Adults in theory should be better at time management and structuring their own learning but again you need to know why you are learning something and what path you need to take and then have the discipline to follow through. going straight to learning advanced pieces of music without the prerequisite knowledge will mostly slow you down but studying (not playing) something well above you level will give you a feel for your weaknesses and where you need to focus your attention.

Before you get a guitar do a solid couple of weeks of music theory to save time (and money if you get a tutor) later, grab yourself a note training app to help with note recognition and if you do decide to get a tutor - and i highly recommend it especially in the first few months, try to get one who is familiar with adult learners and not just children.

I found the most important thing for fast learning is quality practice - that's all the boring stuff like scales, slow playing of pieces just above your level, drills for new techniques and worst of all not actually playing but studying music theory or sheet music!
If you want to learn quickly the single most important thing i can say is play everyday before you go to bed. It is more important to play 20 minuets once a day than it is to play 10 hours on saturday.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I'm sorry to say this, but you're not gonna be a rockstar. You can still learn to play though ;D

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm a smidge younger than you (28) but I literally (and by literally, I mean about two weeks ago) just bought my shiny new guitar. I've never played guitar. Ever. Wait...does Rock Band count? No? Then I have never played guitar.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.861159-Guitar#21429329

If it helps as well, I've heard Rocksmith is an amazing teacher. I just ordered it and am awaiting it's arrival so I am unable to personally confirm this data.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Not going to be the greatest guitarist, but spend 6 months or so learning the instrument, then 30+ minutes learning a song a night and you will learn it eventually.

Don't get discuraged because you're not amazing in a few weeks, and don't worry about being a guitar god.

Instruments are not immediately gratifying, much like WoW you're going to have to level up!

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I disagree strongly with playing guitar. Not that it's not possible to learn guitar, I just absolutely hate the sound of a guitar and would rather play... just about any other instrument.

Brass is fun. Very easy to get started on, practically limitless ceiling to get better with. Plus its sound doesn't stink and it sounds so nice when combined with other instruments.

It's possible, yeah, but if you've never had experience with music before, if you don't even know the notes of the god-forsaken C Major scale, then you really should brush up on beginning music theory or instrument learning classes before starting. (This is a music staff, this is a treble clef, this is a whole note, this is a whole rest). Best way I could put it, it's like buying a car without knowing how to drive it.