Is a higher standard a myth?

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Limbsy1 said:
@TiefBlau
Well games being one aspect of things I get that original vision gets corrupted. But why do we as a community accept that? Why cant the standard be excellence? or at least not bad?
I get that it always boils down to money and that the "community" has trouble collaborating against things. I know its idealistic but why cant we have our cake and eat it? Why cant quality be rewarded monetarily.
I dont want to come across as a guy who quantifies "good" with "makes money" but I want to stop rewarding bad with making money and start allowing things that are well done to be rewarded more often so there is an incentive to make something good other than pet projectness.
Seriously? There were so many things that didn't make sense in this post that I HAD to say something:

Why cant the standard be excellence? or at least not bad?

It already IS. No one says "Hey, let's make a BAD GAME.

Why cant quality be rewarded monetarily.

People buy good games, so it is

And that whole last paragraph is just one horrid run-on sentence that makes no sense as written.

We punish bad games by not buying them. I can't tell you the number of games I have played that I won't play sequels of. Red faction 1&2 were great. 3 wasn't what I expected it to be, based on the originals, and 4 doesn't look to be any better, so I won't buy it. I will give Ace Combat 7 a try, but if it isn't as good as HAWX, I will buy HAWX 3 and NOT Ace Combat 8. See how that works? Everyone else is the same.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't think we ever really lowered our standards. Shit ha always existed, and will always continue to exist. The thing is, great things are preserved, and shit is generally lost, which is why it seems like there was less shit in the past.

Limbsy1

Apr 30, 2011
But thats the thing isnt it? Companies do make bad games. People do buy bad games. Sometimes those games sell really well.

But I do see what you are saying and you do make a reasonable point. The examples you brought up are well placed. Although I feel compared to the handful of smart thoughtful gamers like you there will be ten people buying Wii carnival or Dante's Inferno or Kane and Lynch. (If you like those games sorry IMO they are bad)

Now regarding some other comments I have seen I dont think a game has to be innovative, or original to be good. Im sure there are plenty of bad games that are very original(Jimquisition just covered something similar i think)I am saying if you are going to stick to a formula do it well. (WoW, CoD, Halo, etc)

And a personal apology to @SpadeLead and anyone else that catches me botching the typed word.
My bad?

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Maybe we should hold ourselves to a higher standard of not complaining about other people's standards like whiny cynical bitches.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Limbsy1 said:
But thats the thing isnt it? Companies do make bad games. People do buy bad games. Sometimes those games sell really well.

But I do see what you are saying and you do make a reasonable point. The examples you brought up are well placed. Although I feel compared to the handful of smart thoughtful gamers like you there will be ten people buying Wii carnival or Dante's Inferno or Kane and Lynch. (If you like those games sorry IMO they are bad)

Now regarding some other comments I have seen I dont think a game has to be innovative, or original to be good. Im sure there are plenty of bad games that are very original(Jimquisition just covered something similar i think)I am saying if you are going to stick to a formula do it well. (WoW, CoD, Halo, etc)

And a personal apology to @SpadeLead and anyone else that catches me botching the typed word.
My bad?
What makes Dante's Inferno bad? I liked it a hell of a lot (Oh God, did I just say that?) more than I do God of War. And that is where we start getting into personal tastes. I won't be out buying the special collector's edition of God of War 1&2, plus 3, because I didn't care for them. You may think they are the best thing to happen to the genre since it was invented. That doesn't make you wrong (Especially not in my eyes), it just means you didn't like Inferno, and I didn't like God of War.

What about Resident Evil. I hate them. Just watching my ex-fiance PLAY 5 made me hate the whole series, and then I saw her play some of the second one as well... That doesn't make them bad, necessarily, it just means that I don't care for them. (Okay, I think they are horrible, and that bimbos like my ex-fiance going out and buying a SECOND copy of RE5 just for the Gold Edition or whatever are stupid.) then again, I have never liked the Third Person Shooter genre in it's entirety. Part of the reason I hated Red Faction 3 so much. They changed Genre from 1st to 3rd person.

back to Dante's Inferno and God of War: Inferno's story was more engaging for me. I always hated Greek/Roman Mythology in school, whereas I believe in Hell. Thus, even though God of War was interesting in a "They fuck everything up" kind of way, (I LOVE alternate history) Dante's Inferno was more to my taste because it was more believable to me. The First Level of Hell was more interesting than the first level of God of War 3. That is all I can judge on, but the fact is, I got bored with God of War 3 in the fifteen minutes or so it took me to play the first level, whereas I beat Inferno in the first 36 hours I owned it. And that is NOT a short game. I just played it that much.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Everyone has different tastes and "standards". It's not that we dislike it if someone has a "higher" standard or a different taste, it's when they subtly (or not so subtly) imply that anyone who enjoys something they don't have "bad" taste or "low" standards.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Korolev said:
Everyone has different tastes and "standards". It's not that we dislike it if someone has a "higher" standard or a different taste, it's when they subtly (or not so subtly) imply that anyone who enjoys something they don't have "bad" taste or "low" standards.
When I saw your name as the last poster on this thread, I SO had hoped you had a Corellian Corvette as your avatar... Alas, I am sad now.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
x-machina said:
People are content with their mediocre mainstream crap
And yet, we don't mind a bit. All of the things you enjoy, we enjoy, but the reverse appears to not hold.

I don't know when exactly "average" became a dirty word, but I still regret it.

varulfic said:
Maybe we should hold ourselves to a higher standard of not complaining about other people's standards like whiny cynical bitches.
I wanted to make a joke about the internet disappearing if that ever happened, but I got too depressed all of a sudden.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
And again people are completely missing the point.

There is a reason the IQ scale has the terms 'above-average' on it.

Mainstream's problem is it's audience size, not the abilities or views of that audience.

It's much harder to create a detailed product for an audience of five million than it is to create a detailed product for a select audience of five hundred.