Is a Wii Kid Icarus Sequel Just Waiting for the Right Idea?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Is a Wii Kid Icarus Sequel Just Waiting for the Right Idea?

Yoshio Sakamoto, one of the original Kid Icarus creators, says that he would gladly revisit the series, as long as the concept was right.

Nintendo has something of a reputation for, shall we say, getting the most out of its franchises, which is what makes Kid Icarus so unusual, as amongst the dozens of Mario, Zelda and Pokémon games, there has been only two Kid Icarus games.

Fans of the series have long asked for a new game, and aside from lead character Pit's recent appearance in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, their pleas have gone unanswered. But according to Yoshio Sakamoto, one of the original Kid Icarus creators, a Wii sequel isn't an impossibility.

"If we can find some sort of way to bring it to the Wii, a way to make the game for the Wii that makes sense, we would happily do so," he said. "But just keep in mind it may not be me making the game."

Sakamoto said that he wasn't aware of any current Kid Icarus projects, but he also said that the people who want a new game should speak up, which would suggest he's a little bit out of the loop.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178345]

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I loved Kid Icarus back on the NES (had no idea they made a second game.) I would gladly buy and play the crap out of whatever new instalation they have in mind. Though my only hope is that they keep the Wii mote wageling down to a minimum.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
How about a 3D platformer with over the shoulder shooting for the bow and melee combat with his blades? Make it linear and hire some lovely artistic designers and have the story set around a princess being kidnapped. Bish Bash bosh.

Calumon: Hahaha! He needs wings to fly... I have my ears! ^^

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Please no...Please no...

Somethings just don't need/deserve a sequel. Besides, It'd sell like crap anyway.

Mostly the selling part.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Looks like they just need to get the idea...(puts on sunglasses) out of the pit.

I'll hit myself for that later.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
From the looks of the new teaser trailer; Deus Ex 3 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJ7-OUPMto] could be the new sequel to Kid Icarus...

Edit: The link isn't working... Ah well... Just search Youtube or something.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
He wants Kid Icarus fans to speak up? I know one guy who has even finished Kid Icarus and he NEVER shuts up about how there isn't a Wii game and how this is definite proof that Nintendo has abandoned their fanbase.

(I played the original for about five minutes on the Virtual Console.... Not too amazing, I must say.)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Here we go: 2d platformer similar to single player brawl. Linear "climbing" levels in homage to the original. Then either Metroidvania "temples" where the gameplay is similar to shadow complex, but more action oriented.

But here is the gimmick, there are objects in the 3d dimension which affect gameplay from switches to wall jumping enemies. You can switch to first person to shoot them in a "bullet time" or "VATS" mode where you have a time limit to take your shots then you go back to 2d perspective and see the results of the shots.

This can include bosses that charge big attacks and you switch to interrupt them or an enemy that throws lots of bombs and you switch to shoot them back at him.

What do ya think?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Great JT said:
Looks like they just need to get the idea...(puts on sunglasses) out of the pit.

I'll hit myself for that later.
lol, classy XD

But, I dont think it really needs a sequel...its not going to sell well anyway I can see it now

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Here we go: 2d platformer similar to single player brawl. Linear "climbing" levels in homage to the original. Then either Metroidvania "temples" where the gameplay is similar to shadow complex, but more action oriented.

But here is the gimmick, there are objects in the 3d dimension which affect gameplay from switches to wall jumping enemies. You can switch to first person to shoot them in a "bullet time" or "VATS" mode where you have a time limit to take your shots then you go back to 2d perspective and see the results of the shots.

This can include bosses that charge big attacks and you switch to interrupt them or an enemy that throws lots of bombs and you switch to shoot them back at him.

What do ya think?
I see what you did thar!

I never played the original. From what I saw in SSBB the character design looks cool.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah why not. They changed all the other games around when no one wanted it and this at least could spark some new ideas I guess. Also with the lack of third party developers and my Wii gathering so much dust I should just say "DO IT"!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Mix elements from a dash of OW:Strangers wrath ,ZeldaOOT and Metroid prime(ball mode is now 3rd person).Story would focus on saving a princess regaining your abilities then saving the world from the under world, have a dual world setup above ground and below ground and you get to fight and explore both, oh and don;t get to lose to sun :p.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
As a longtime Nintendo fan, I find myself surprised by how utterly disinterested I am in a Kid Icarus Sequel.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
jthm said:
As a longtime Nintendo fan, I find myself surprised by how utterly disinterested I am in a Kid Icarus Sequel.
Think of it like this take the Kid Icarus theme and superimpose it over a zelda/mario with slightly different mechanics game...frankly when do that with megaman,bobble bubble,castelvina,sonic,ect one wonders why they have not tried to make more of them......

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
"If we can find some sort of way to bring it to the Wii, a way to make the game for the Wii that makes sense, we would happily do so," he said.
I see their dilemma. They don't need a Zelda or Mario game with Kid Icarus stamped on it.

I don't think Nintendo has made a good Metroidvania game though, like Symphony of the Night. Keep it a side-scrolling, action/RPG and maybe try for a mature, gritty, artistic presentation and story, since most of the fans are probably grownups by now.

Then again, Nintendo hasn't published too many games that scream anything other than "E for Everyone". But I can dream. ;-)