Is anybody else here just not interested in modern gaming?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Ezekiel said:
Yeah. There are a few rare exceptions, but for the most part I've stopped caring. I think the industry is sick and needs to crash hard. I spend most of my free time and entertainment money on Blu-rays now.
I am literally the opposite. I have a few hundred DVDs but haven't bought one in about 8 years. I saw two movies last year. I turned the TV on once last year to watch a movies with my mum. I do watch some shows on Netflix, but on the Surface. I now spend most of my money on games. I don't think movies or shows are moving forward as a medium, as I assume you think the same of games

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Modern as in triple A side of things? For the most part I haven't had a lot of interest there either. Not a fan of shooters in general (though some exceptions exist), and not a fan of most of the non-shooter mainstream titles. I guess witcher 3 counts as such and I enjoyed that, though I still think of it as midlevel. Dragonage 3 wasn't bad either, though neither sucked me into them as games as much as some other titles have. Fallout 4 I am waiting on a sale price drop before going into just because mixed reviews about what it became compared to the previous entries in the series. Heard metal gear was good too, though not really interested in that as a series so jumping into it now when the last game I played was MGS makes me feel I would be a bit lost on a lot of the references. Also, fuck Konami.

On the indie side of things, there is a glut of, well, copycats of other successful indie games. You want minecraft, have 20 clone games. Horror? Get chased by mystery horrors in first person. jump scare manager? Who needs clones with 5 nights releases a new game every 2 months? Though there are occasional gems like Undertale too.

Honestly, I think part of the issue is that there are so many games released now that feel like they are phoned in effort (if not outright cash grabs) that is creates a apathy about all games released lately. Triple A is gettign greedier with business models, so people stop seeing them as cool new games and more so as carefully created skinner boxes. Indie is just flooding the market with so much indistinguishable crap that no one wants to slog through it all.

I wonder if it isn't that gaming is just less interesting, so much as too widespread and guided by specific market trends that it just has less appeal to some gamers. Though that isn't surprising, remember a few years back it was the cover-based shooter mechanic that was dominant in triple A, and paltformers for indie. And before that it was a glut of MMO RPG. Before that it was platformers on consoles and handhelds and no indie at all. Gaming goes through waves I guess.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sorta kinda not really?

As another poster asked, what's 'modern gaming' anyway? Because while I've been moving away from the shiny new AAA titles, mostly because I lack the hardware to run most of those, I do look forward to, say, the latest Dwarf Fortress release and other cute (and cheap) little indie games that often don't even feel modern. Like Downwell, Gunpoint, Broforce, The Banner Saga, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Duck Game etc etc.

So do you count that area under 'modern gaming' as well? Because while they don't even remotely feel like the big titles, their resurgence is surely modern thanks to the democratization of development and distribution tools.
EHKOS said:
I haven't had a Crash Bandicoot/Rayman 3 platformer in ages. All they give us are shooter RPGs.
Yooka-Laylee must make you very excited then.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over Fallout 4 and Rocket League. Fun stuff.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Cowabungaa said:
So do you count that area under 'modern gaming' as well? Because while they don't even remotely feel like the big titles, their resurgence is surely modern thanks to the democratization of development and distribution tools.
Yeah, I kind of just meant 'new' by 'modern' so new indie games would count as modern too. The unfortunate thing about indie games is that they are exclusively digitally distributed, which I'm against on principle. I like having a physical copy of the game that is unquestionably my possession and isn't subject to disappear in 20+ years if the service goes down.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
The unfortunate thing about indie games is that they are exclusively digitally distributed, which I'm against on principle. I like having a physical copy of the game that is unquestionably my possession and isn't subject to disappear in 20+ years if the service goes down.
If you buy it on GOG, you can download a DRM free installer. That installer is every bit as good as a physical copy as long as you keep it safe by burning it onto a DVD or copying it onto an external HD or something. It will install onto a new computer, whether GOG still exists or not.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I find myself playing a lot of older games these days, despite having a decent PC and a Xbox One. For as many steps forward that gaming has taken, it also seems to be taking just as many backward.

Modern games seem to want to be Jack of All Trades, everything to everybody, in an effort to chase the Call of Duty levels of income. Yet the publishers don't seem to realise that Call of Duty maintains its success by sticking to a fairly simple formula. It knows its market and does what they want very well.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
Yeah, I kind of just meant 'new' by 'modern' so new indie games would count as modern too. The unfortunate thing about indie games is that they are exclusively digitally distributed, which I'm against on principle. I like having a physical copy of the game that is unquestionably my possession and isn't subject to disappear in 20+ years if the service goes down.
A fair enough objection. Of course, physical media also offers a lot of false security. Despite physical media, a lot of modern games come with digital authentication methods and whatnot that means that despite owning a copy there's still no guarantee you can play it down the line. Next to that there's no guarantee you'll have the software or hardware to play those games in 20+ years. I mean, sure I own my copy of Rise of Nations but when I tried to play it a while back it was already crapping out and that game is only 13 years old. Then there's media corruption, simple defects and thanks to law shenanigans you still not really own-owning the contents of said media anyway.

That's not to say that digital distribution is better or worse, but in the end both can screw you over just as easily and neither offers you more security than the other. But as another person has already said, GoG is an exception to that as the digital files you buy there aren't tied to a service once you download them. That's pretty sweet.

I just remembered by the way, I do sort-of have this with console games. Only now am I really starting to expand my GameCube library as I missed out on a lot of great shit back when as I never had much money for games. At least, I try to, because a lot of games are starting to become hard to get. I still have to find an affordable copy of Viewtiful Joe for instance.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
No. There are a lot of disgusting business practices trying to drag good games down, but some of my favourite games of all time are modern games. I love a good bit of nostalgia, for sure, but really amazing games are still being made.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I don't understand this practice of buying years worth of games and never playing any of them.
There's such a thing as not enjoying the game you've played and never wanting to play it again.
In most cases, I think I'd rather watch a youtube video of a game if the story is interesting enough. Most of the games I have are meant to pour lots of hours into them though.

The games I imagined the future would hold for me were never made. They just toned up the graphics more and more and they started to cut content to make room for graphics development. Some of the best games were sprite-based. Even indie developers aren't really narrowing into the niche preference I have. If I knew how, I'd probably have just made one myself. But I'm not entirely motivated either.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Last year I enjoyed The Witcher 3, Until Dawn, a bit of Arkham Knight and Fallout 4. Recently picked up Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, which was great, too... Street Fighter 5 is right around the corner, we got a new Ratchet and Clank and Dark Souls, and God willing even The Last Guardian... I don't know, I think I'm good.

I only really play the vile, disgusting, putrid, braindead AAA games, and yeah, for the most part I'm having the time of my life.

Jan 19, 2016
I guess I tend to ignore a lot of the big tentpole AAA releases and esports type games that dominate the gaming landscape these days. I mostly play new editions of franchises I have been playing for years (eg. Street Fighter), or new retro styled games (Pillars of Eternity). I mostly find the mainstream gaming landscape pretty boring, but good things crop up from time to time (Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are great), and with the traditional CRPG renaissance kicking along nicely, I can comfortably ignore most of the AAA scene and still have great games to play.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
It really depends, sometimes I'm all like "AWWW YEAH I just modded Fallout 4 to allow any gun mod onto any gun" And then other times I'm more "In the last hour I just went through nothing but dialogue and three scripted fights in a row, one of which the camera was stuck in a tree the whole time. They didn't have problems like this on the SNES."

Honestly having seen games with incredible graphics and games with incredible gameplay, I would kind of liked to have seen what would have happened if everything graphics related just stopped at around the SNES level and everything from then on was gameplay related improvements.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Nope. Whilst there are deeply questionable business decisions/con jobs made by all sorts of people these days, I generally believe gaming's just kept on getting better, largely by way of sheer choice and diversity.

There are iffy trends in design, sure, but when's that not been the case?

This is an era where stuff like Dark Souls, Witcher 3 (still not played it yet), and space-trucker Elite Dangerous (I played Frontier terribly as a kid, and so ED feels both classic yet utterly contemporary) exist - the past gens can barely hold a candle to any of that.

sonicneedslovetoo said:
Honestly having seen games with incredible graphics and games with incredible gameplay, I would kind of liked to have seen what would have happened if everything graphics related just stopped at around the SNES level and everything from then on was gameplay related improvements.
An entire medium would've just stagnated, most likely? Gaming is irrevocably tied to improvements in technology in a way no other medium is. Take that progression away, and you gut an essential element of what defines gaming.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Sorry what did you say? It's hard to hear you over the squelching of bullets riddling alien corpses :D

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
i miss games that take more then 10hrs to beat... *looks over at Xenoblade Chronicles X* i don't care how cheesy you are, i love you! *spends way too long playing this game because i still love the original Xenogears...* i'm sorry what? new vs. old games?

i will take oldies, or spawn offs that still keep the spirit of said oldies over the new stuff that is just rehashed dumb... i like some shooters but when you really get down to it they're just Half-life, but shinier, i like beat'em ups and brawlers but can only stand them for an hour at best so any 'new' ones of those are all like the same thing, but repainted... and i love my rpgs, but they keep either making them done and over with in a couple hours or so fluffed out with extra crap you don't remember the point anymore...

*sigh* i can sit and replay old games i love and still be happy or old ones, new ones... find either shallow and get bored or they're just shiny and don't hold my attention for very long... a few exceptions or they satisfy some niche thing~

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty much yeah. I am not very eager to take part in a new generation where games are diced up and content is withheld with a price tag to be sold to us at a later date, and where cinematic spectacle or mutiplayer become the focus. I'm tired man, of all this bullshit we are being shoveled and this cold corporate approach has just gotten worse and more aggressive in the last 3 years.

There are only a handful of new games that have come out that I have a mild interest in playing these days. The only titles that have truly gotten me excited were the Nintendo stuff. And now that the WiiU is about to have its plugged pulled that's pretty much the end of the line I think.
Most of my gaming purchases in the last 3 years has been towards past generations. I never used my PS2 as an actual PS2 back in the day, I missed out on a lot of PS1 games as a kid because I was a kid and my parents could only afford a game maybe here or there. And there were a lot of 7th gen games I overlooked.

Bottom line, yeah I think I'm slowly backing off. It's just not fun anymore.