Is anybody else here just not interested in modern gaming?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I used to be. But once I got a better PC a couple years ago, I got back up to date (even though I still have enough unplayed games to last 10 years too)

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I don't think it really comes down to modern vs not modern games. There are good and bad games. Modern games are turning out a lot of trash these days is all. Uninspired, safe, cynical investments. That doesn't mean cheaper/indie games are any better in this regard. Just look at Early Access to see the low-budget equivalent to mediocre or downright shitty.

You have to pick what actually appeals to you. There are all these stupid games from EA, Activisions, and Ubisoft I'm just never going to play because they don't appeal. But then there are things like Fallout 4 and Shadow of Mordor that I do.

That said, most of the games I play are old games like TF2 that are still fantastic, and a huge list of indie games that don't demand much of a system.

There's nothing about a whole gen of content that's inherently different from everything else, except requirements. Just use good judgement and don't buy trash.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm always one generation behind. I just finished BioShock: Infinite. I'm currently playing L.A. Noire. I'm still playing Far Cry 3's co-op campaign, and so on.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Not anymore. I've been enjoying quite a few indie games over the last year, and The Witcher 3 is something special too, while Bloodborne is alright (but I'm not buying a console just for that). It is mostly indie games for me though, and I reckon Undertale is one of the greatest experiences to come in awhile.

Still have no interest in owning any of the latest consoles though.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Not really, no. I mean, sometimes I feel like playing nothing but games from my childhood but other times I want nothing more than to play a modern FPS or RPG. I think it's kind of silly to limit yourself to one genre or generation of games when there are so many awesome games out or coming out in the near future. That'd be like if you only watched movies from the 1980s and refused to watch anything that came after.

The way I see it is that there are still amazing stories and other interesting things that have yet to be done with games. If I were to stop caring about new video games who knows what cool stuff I might miss.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
WeepingAngels said:
When the JRPG's stopped coming last gen and all we saw was shooters and quest based RPG's, I went back to SNES/PS1 games for the most part.
What are you talking about? There have been plenty of modern JRPGs the past few years.
I tried going through the list that you typed up here....

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maybe not modern gaming itself, as it creates a lot of good games, mostly in the handheld scene personally. I tend to avoid the extremely popular stuff on consoles, cause I'm a hipster like that I guess. Maybe some of the modern games just don't hit the areas I'm really interested in. JRPG's haven't had the best time as of recently in the new generation, save for a handful. That, and the new gen consoles have very little to offer me. I feel it definitely came too soon

Tommy1138

Oct 22, 2015
I simply won't buy a newer game unless I can either try it first. Pretty much all my games on my Xbone are free from my xbox live subscription or I got it free from the library first to try it. I think the last game I paid money for (cough not counting a couple kickstarters, cough) before trying it first was Dragon Age Inquisition and that was only because of the goodwill I had towards Bioware. That being said, I do want to see some sort of AAA crash sooner rather than later. The major companies keep putting out crappy business practices (dlc/microtransactions/DRM)and basically treating gamers like garbage, all the while demanding more and more of our money. I love gaming but something needs to change in the industry.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I'm just not that into games in general any more, and often they don't tend to get good reviews, or sound interesting or fun, for the most part, so when they all have the same growly shaved dude protagonist as the last 20, I skip them. I'm hoping Final Fantasy 15 is a return to form, but I'm prepared to be disappointed. I hope the FF7 remake is good, my brother's certainly looking forward to it, but remakes... well. If it's open world, and you can explore all of Midgar, that is enticing. We'll see though. I have a short list of PS4 games I'll try when I get one, such as I think Witcher 3, Black Ops 3, and Wasteland 2, and I have Fallout 4 but can't play it till I upgrade my PC (I *think* it's just RAM and drivers) so I'm looking forward to that, as I love what Bethesda have done with them, bugs and all.

Otherwise, I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Certainly not the yearly Assassin's Creed and COD/Battlefield games, though sometimes they sound like they'd be good. Sometimes.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm always one generation behind. I just finished BioShock: Infinite. I'm currently playing L.A. Noire. I'm still playing Far Cry 3's co-op campaign, and so on.
I did NOT expect that kind of ending from a FPS. It is now one of my favourite games of all times, because it went there.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
There are so many new games coming out these days that it's hard to just say "I'm not interested in modern gaming". I'm not interested in the vast majority of what's coming out, and I avoid business practices I don't approve of, but there's still enough to keep me happy.

In the last 12 months I've played through games such as:
- Alien: Isolation
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Bloodborne
- Wasteland 2
- The Talos Principle
- Trine 3
- Satellite Reign
- Life is Strange
- Rocket League
- Shovel Knight
- Dreamfall Chapters (well, 4/5 chapters of it)

All quite different, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Zhukov said:
Huh? What did you say?

Sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you over the sound of Darkest Dungeon, XCOM2 and Shadow of... ohhh, Mirror's Edge 2 comes out in a few months!
FalloutJack said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over Fallout 4 and Rocket League. Fun stuff.
Drummodino said:
Sorry what did you say? It's hard to hear you over the squelching of bullets riddling alien corpses :D
Guess, I've really got to --
Sorry.

GUESS I'VE REALLY GOT TO START SPEAKING UP, IT SEEMS HALF THE FORUM IS GOING HARD OF HEARING THESE DAYS.
I'LL TRY TO ENUNCIATE MORE CLEARLY IN THE FUTURE.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Dogmeat covers his ears with his paws*

How can anybody resist that face?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
There is the occasional gem to be found in modern games, mostly from the indie scene, but those are sadly rare.
The reason I don't play the supermajority(71+%) of modern games are the shady, underhanded, dubious, anti-consumer practices of Always Online, Online Checkups, Quick-time Events, Console Controls, Micro-Transactions, DLC, DRM, Graphics over Gameplay, Dialogue Wheels, Framerate tied to Engine, 30fps, Multiplayer only, Weird Cameras, Press any button to perform awesome moves....etc..

Jan 19, 2016
LookingGlass said:
I'm not interested in the vast majority of what's coming out, and I avoid business practices I don't approve of, but there's still enough to keep me happy.
Kind of feel the same way. In the last couple of years, I have added several major publishers to my "Do Not Buy From" list, so basically anything published by EA, Ubisoft, Activision, or WB is out of consideration for me; I refuse to give money to companies whose business practices disgust me. I honestly expect Squeenix to find its way on there this year given their antics surrounding Hitman. I'm pretty sure that soon I will be only be playing Sony, CDPR, and indie games.

WoJ

Sep 7, 2015
I've pretty much decided that the PS4/Xbox One era will be my last console regardless of what happens next. There are three reasons for this.

1) My backlog is insane and the games in my backlog I actually want to play. If I keep buying new games and new consoles there is no chance I will ever work through it. I'd rather enjoy what i have now then keep adding to it just for the sake of playing new stuff.

2) This is more minor, but I am not thrilled with modern business practices. I don't hate DLC or microtransactions, but I'm not in love with them either. I hate that games are constantly release broken, and won't even touch most games until a year after release so I can get the GOTY edition.

3) The rise of online multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, I love me some online multiplayer, but I don't like how it is become integrated into so many games.

I feel torn about this, but think for me it's the right call. I think the industry is pretty healthy even if I am not the biggest fan of its business practices. I think that gaming has reached heights in recent years that I always dreamed it could. For me, what Bioware did with Mass Effect (despite all it's flaws, and there are many) was the gaming experience I had always dreamed of as a kid. The Arkham games were also another example of where I always wanted games to be as a kid. There's a part of me that looks at series like those and says "wow there is nowhere to go but up". But then I look at my backlog filled with both Xenoblade games, Persona 4, Crysis, Dead Space, Fallout New Vegas and countless more and I say, "you know what, it just isn't worth it to keep buying new games. I want to play these!"

So really, for me, I guess I'm just deciding to enjoy what I have and move to more of a retro gamer. Maybe 10-12 years from now I'll pick up the PS5 or PS6 and start playing through what I've missed out. But for now, it's new stuff until this gen is over, then time to work on the backlog.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This happens in every medium. Every artistic medium will have the mainstream blanket cash cows that show the uglier side effects of capitalism and its players that market themselves to the apathetic masses. In every catagory you get the people who judge the whole medium based on these passing impressions and dismiss whatever they feel they can easily pidgeon-hole into "it's new, therefor it's shit because everything new is shit." Music, film, art etc etc this is a pattern where some people don't want to look harder than passively glancing at whatever had enough money to plaster its existence into the unsuspecting senses of casual observers. Dismissive apathy is a side-effect of wallowing in the half-arsed pool of mainstream wank for too long. Just like every other medium, look harder and you will find quality and enjoyment. Obscene amounts of money is spent on telling people what they should like instead of teaching them how to look and learn. Although if it is merely a form of a polished silver lining i read here, then maybe these words will mean nothing. So no?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Modern gaming isn't all that bad. It just has issues with horrible developers running amok with their anti-consumer BS. However, there are still plenty of games I want to still play that don't really have these issues.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Games are having to shoulder a lot more of a cultural burden nowadays that we used to cede to film. AAA games used to be little more than technical achievements - that was supposed to have been the meaning of the victory of the technician Carmack over the artist Romero. But that victory was fleeting as we realized the emptiness, the Dead Space, that a pretty, well-oiled shell has when nothing lives within.

So now Meaning is what is desired, formerly monopolized by indies, and this has even pervaded the robotic behemoth of the AAA industry. Now AAA games can't be taken seriously without a good narrative, with The Last of Us held up as an ideal merger of narrative and technical excellence.

AAA games have moved from spectacle to art, and along the way have lost a lot of their fun - careful observers will note the vast reduction in that word used to describe AAA games over the past decade. Because of that, indie games have taken up the mantle of fun, games such as Shovel Knight, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Don't Starve far more nimble, easy to navigate, and offering the immediate fun that more serious, laborious journies through Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 can't compare to.

This isn't intended as a criticism of any segment of the game industry - hopefully it provides some illumination regarding the relationship between different media and their cultures.