Is anyone else tired of the FPS genre?

tumultuoustibia

Dec 16, 2011
I know this is a tired argument, but is anyone else in the world just tired of the FPS's? It is simply mind boggling to me that Call of Duty and Battlefield are as popular as they are. Maybe I'm just the wrong demographic, but I haven't played an FPS since the original FEAR that I've actually enjoyed. Thoughts?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I never liked it to begin with.

My first experience with the genre was Hexen and Doom on my brother's very old computer, and GoldenEye007 and Perfect Dark at my cousin's house on his Nintendo 64. I never liked of those games. Just because I do not like first person perspective. The time I've ever most forgive first person perspective is in the Earthbound/Mother games. And that's because it's strategy, and the backgrounds are this interesting trippy technicolor thing.

I never liked it, and I'm getting sick of it being just everywhere. Just like I'm sick of so many games being shooters in general, and the main character being some bodybuilder white guy. Just please no, no more please.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Depends on the shooter. My favorite shooters aren't the brown/gritty/military type. You *can* make shooters with interesting gameplay mechanics - for example, the absurd level of mobility in the Tribes series, or the many flavors of Shooter/RPG (Borderlands, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Fallout: NV, etc.) A genre's just a set of conventions, and for me it's more about what you do inside those conventions.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Matthew94 said:
I love FP games that aren't shooters but let you shoot guns.

Yes, that is very specific.
This. Although I have to put my hands up and say that I'm having great fun with BF3 multiplayer.

tumultuoustibia

Dec 16, 2011
TheKasp said:
Of course you are tired if the only two FPS you seem to know are CoD and Battlefield.

There were the two bigshots (CoD and BF), Rage with rather interesting ideas, Resistance 3 (heavily inspired by HL2), a sucessfull shot in the oldschool direction with Hard Reset and Serious Sam 3 and finally the big failure that was Duke Nukem. On the other side I can think of way more RPGs released than those and a load of games from other genres.
It's not that CoD and BF are the only games I've played, but these are the only games being released, just with different titles. It's all fast paced, cover based shooters with horrible writing. I guess I just never see the point in them; if you've played one, you've played them all.

It probably doesn't help that I hate multiplayer and never ever play online, as this is considered core gameplay for most FPS's, and I can totally see how these games would be massively fun if played in that arena. But since I don't want to, it feels like every shooter I play just isn't fun or memorable.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Matthew94 said:
I love FP games that aren't shooters but let you shoot guns.

Yes, that is very specific.
I haven't played it so correct me wrong, but does Deus Ex fit into that category? Or perhaps Bioshock?

OT: Not gonna lie, I still like a good FPS game. I'll still dig out my copy of Halo 3 or COD 4 from time to time.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
tumultuoustibia said:
snip
It's not that CoD and BF are the only games I've played, but these are the only games being released, just with different titles. It's all fast paced, cover based shooters with horrible writing. I guess I just never see the point in them; if you've played one, you've played them all.

It probably doesn't help that I hate multiplayer and never ever play online, as this is considered core gameplay for most FPS's, and I can totally see how these games would be massively fun if played in that arena. But since I don't want to, it feels like every shooter I play just isn't fun or memorable.
Oh man you bought BF3 for the singleplayer? That's got to suck. Are these games cover based? I hadn't noticed that, what is the cover button in BF3? Cover based games in my mind are R6:Vegas or Gears of War (That one is theory I haven't played Gears of War but I have seen it).

Anyway. I'm not bored with them, but I let a lot of FPSs pass me by. This past year I bought-

Call of Duty 4 (It is a bit short but good, well crafted, it has those annoying mechanics that you just have to suck up and accept these days. I think I'll leave the story there, with, in my mind, Price dead and Soap a cripple, seems more poignant that way. Haven't played the multiplayer, but I did notice that there are still a couple of servers in Australia.)

Bulletstorm (I wish I hadn't, it doesn't have much to recommend it, and it uses GFWL, ugh.)

and Battlefield 3 (Which I love, except I haven't played the single-player and I have only dabbled with the Co-Op, which isn't very good, at least compared to 64 player Conquest.)

I played some FPRPGs this year but I don't consider them FPSs.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
The years when halo was at its prime were great for me. Gow 1 was good and the first couple of of cods after modern warfare exploded and killed halo were good too. But now I yearn for something different. I want a NEW shooter to get big and take over. I only play the popular shooters so that I'm less likely to encounter lag, but I'm so over cod.

Preferably sci fi since you can do so much more with it than realistic shooters.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
tumultuoustibia said:
If you want a shooter that doesn't fit that mold, you should play Hat Fortress 2, Tribes: Ascend Beta (or the full game for free when it comes out), Human Revolution, Borderlands (with 1-3 friends), or Fallout: New Vegas (with the community patch.) They all have either excellent writing and slow pacing (DX:HR, FO:NV) or no real cover gameplay (the rest.)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
The years when halo was at its prime were great for me. Gow 1 was good and the first couple of of cods after modern warfare exploded and killed halo were good too. But now I yearn for something different. I want a NEW shooter to get big and take over. I only play the popular shooters so that I'm less likely to encounter lag, but I'm so over cod.

Preferably sci fi since you can do so much more with it than realistic shooters.
Look into Planetside 2 then if you like Sci-Fi shooters, multiplayer, and you like BIG games. Myself I'm hopping DICE make a sequel to Battlefield 2142 and we get a return to Titan Mode.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ii havnt played enough to get sick of it...

I only play good single player ones..hence why I havnt played that many

I I hate how fallout 3 gets put in the same catagory s brown FPS's..its an RPG first person..even shooting is optional