is call of duty going downhill?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Series go down hill when the know or atleast think that they wont have to do any work and their fans will pick up their losses. I do think that call of duty, atleast on Infinity Wards side I really havent looked at Treyarch's state of mind, believes that it can change so very little and still make so much.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
I'll save my opinion til i see Black Ops, if it does well and is a good game, then i'll say it's on the up, if not, i may give up on it.

debramster123

Sep 12, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
debramster123 said:
i used to love playing call of duty especially but over the years they just seemed to get a lil worse, so do you think that CoD went downhill? or not at all SHARE

and i mean all the way from CALL OF DUTY 1 yes you mw priks it exists
I made a graph to describe how the series has gone downhill ages ago, but is NOT going downhill as of now.

As you can see, CoD 5 actually disappears off this graph, as this humiliating affront and obscene insult to gamers' intelligence can not be measured positively.
lol thats awesome, but CoD1 CoD2 were very decent games

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Sure the games are getting worse (since CoD4) in my opinion and yet they are doing better than ever before. CoD BO is set to probably do the same, or at least very well. I think wait till the next one comes out before we judge if they are getting worse or not.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Fidelias said:
They threw away the realism and put in lots of explosions. Also, the developers got greedy and stupid.
I lol'd.

Seriously though....what realism? CoD's never had realism from day 1.
What I meant was that Call of Duty 1-4 portrayed war realistically. It was darker and not as romantic as most games made war seem. It also portrayed a more realistic military, where the conflicts could have actually happened that way. Modern Warfare 2 went back to the "Let's kick ass!!!" portrayal of war that so many games are doing nowadays.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I never really liked it that much to begin with. It's just a brainless shooter, which is fun and all, but in my eyes you don't need another one each year with basically no changes except that it looks a tiny bit better and has different weapons. It just gets old fast to me.

Fidelias said:
WrongSprite said:
Fidelias said:
They threw away the realism and put in lots of explosions. Also, the developers got greedy and stupid.
I lol'd.

What I meant was that Call of Duty 1-4 portrayed war realistically. It was darker and not as romantic as most games made war seem. It also portrayed a more realistic military, where the conflicts could have actually happened that way. Modern Warfare 2 went back to the "Let's kick ass!!!" portrayal of war that so many games are doing nowadays.
I wouldn't consider it realistic. Arma or Operation Flashpoint are (relatively) realistic.

RobJameson

Mar 18, 2008
debramster123 said:
i used to love playing call of duty especially but over the years they just seemed to get a lil worse, so do you think that CoD went downhill? or not at all SHARE

and i mean all the way from CALL OF DUTY 1 yes you mw priks it exists
Call Of Duty -> Refreshing, new take on the World War 2 FPS
CoD 2 -> Kinda mediocre,
CoD 3 -> OMFG what is this shit
CoD 4 -> Hey, this is kinda refreshing. It's pretty darn balanced apart from the MP5, M16 and constant grenade spam. Oh wait we have dedi servers :D we can ban them
CoD 5 -> Wait, isn't this a mod for CoD 4 that any half decent team could have made and they're charging £55 for. What's this gun called the 'MP40' and why does it kill in one shot, WHY ARE THERE TANKS OH GOD THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE.
CoD 6 -> Wow this game was like £60 and Kotick wants to charge us more, it better be good. Hey they removed triple frag YEY, oh wait the online is horribly unbalanced, you can get infinite grenade launchers and shotguns are secondary weapons and we have to Peer 2 Peer host
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RobJameson

Mar 18, 2008
Fidelias said:
WrongSprite said:
Fidelias said:
I lol'd.

CoD was NEVER realistic, it was a stereotypical game in every respect. The US were the major force in WW2 (Obviously) and it was all pretty generic, the gun handling was unrealistic. I don't remember enough about CoD 1 and CoD 2 since they weren't that big to me. CoD 3 sucked and CoD 4 was perhaps the biggest glorification of war ever, as was CoD 6, SAS teams deployed into frontline combat, one man one goal save the Universe gameplay, spouting aliens quotes while screaming tango down with your tactic00l mp5 flashlight/fleshlight/laserpointer/turkey knife/foregrip/grenade launcher/acog/eotech/red dot/1000 attachment gun while spamming nades into the air and ripping off Apocolypse Now but failing to rip off the anti-war part and playing rap music.

Totally not glorifying war.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
I think Call of Duty is doing perfectly fine, and I happened to enjoy Modern Warfare 2 despite the short campaign length (quality over quantity, after all).

From what I hear about Black Ops, especially with the addition of multiplayer bots, I'd say Call of Duty is probably improving!
I totally wasn't expecting to find a post like this. The hate towards COD recently has been absurd - especially since the majority of us are going to buy Black Ops anyway.

There might be things you don't like about COD, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're one of the market leaders.

phar

Jan 29, 2009
I think its not going downhill at all. If anything the quality is as good as its ever been for the series. The problem is that everyone is probably sick of it. Heck ive been playing each entry in the series since since CoD1 back in earlish 2000's.

debramster123

Sep 12, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
JeanLuc761 said:
I think Call of Duty is doing perfectly fine, and I happened to enjoy Modern Warfare 2 despite the short campaign length (quality over quantity, after all).

From what I hear about Black Ops, especially with the addition of multiplayer bots, I'd say Call of Duty is probably improving!
I totally wasn't expecting to find a post like this. The hate towards COD recently has been absurd - especially since the majority of us are going to buy Black Ops anyway.

There might be things you don't like about COD, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they're one of the market leaders.
yes your right about that sir

Apr 3, 2009
Ah yes, the old RUINED FOREVER! cry of the nostalgic fan. It's usually associated with the Transformers crowd, who have been whining about how every new instalment of the franchise has violated their precious childhood memories.

I've played COD since its first incarnation and I think the perceived drop in quality is a combination of fans not liking change and that peculiar sense of ownership granted from liking a game before it was cool, and lets face it, COD only really hit the bigtime with 4ModWar.

Since then we've had World at war and ModWar2. World at War was a substandard WWII schlockfest attempting to hook in some more sales by branding itself with the COD IP. I haven't played ModWar2 but from what I've heard and seen (which is quite a lot) I'd say the developers lost the plot a bit. COD has always had a certain grounding in reality which I've always enjoyed. Even the invasion of NotIraqHonest had a familiar plausibility to it.

But then Russia invades America... What? Why? Damnit! I guess you ran out of ideas. Or sold out to the EXTREME crowd. Whatever. The honeymoon's over COD.

Now all that matter is are the make up chocolates in my preordered Black Ops box rum truffles, or did you pick them up half price at the petrol station?

Because to be honest COD I was eyeing up that Medal of Honour chap, and yes, his explosions are crap and his guns handle like Zap Zone weapons and his protagonists are made out to be worthy of Homeric Epic, but damn he tells a good story...

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Modern warfare, was brilliant. I spent a stupid amount of time enjoying that game and was impressed with the multiplayer. 30days play time racked up in total. That was one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had. However, some people are fogetting that Call of duty, dates a long way back, I believe it was a PC game originally...going all the way back to 2003.

The first call of duty was good, yet overshadowed by the original medal of honors ( The ones that were good...) Although, my favourite Call of duty campaign, would have to be Call of Duty 2. That was awesome and my first run in with Call of duties multiplayer side. Thats where things went down.

Call of duty 3 was appalling, I honestly did not enjoy it one bit. That's where my hatred for Treyarch was born. For destroying my lovely Call of duty experience!

When MW1 was announced we were all sceptical, obviously because of the switch to modern warfare. Though it became one of the biggest selling games ( Correct me if I'm wrong ) and also one of the most popular titles for online play. ( Again, correct me please )

That is where the line should have stopped, or, at the very least changed subject. Not back to WW2, the pitiful experience that was World at war..I was one of the lucky few who got the early access to the Beta and I consider myself lucky to have played it as it was the key factor in me not wasting the money to purchase such a poor game.

Then, with all the hype at modern warfare 2, there's no wonder I was left feeling a little confused, about what I had been expecting. Yeah, it was fun...for about 15 minutes, but the balance of the game and the "Casual" approach to it destroyed the fun which I had experienced in the other Infinity ward products. So, I was very disappointed by it. I still played it, due to EVERYONE I knew still played it. Yet, I never felt the same rush as I did playing Call of Duty 4.

So, in my opinion, I feel that the franchise has gone downhill. A long way downhill and nothing, but pure awesomeness or a change of setting and inspiration could bring back my love to this franchise.

I know Black ops is a change of setting, but how much? It's still modern? It's still going to be the same principle. So, I'm not really looking forward to it. My hope in another stunning Call of duty died with the release of Modern warfare 2.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Part of the problem is that MW2 caters more than ever before to noobs, and pricks take advantage of this: People pick up strategies which give them easy kills and make it horribly unfair for people playing properly.

(for example one man army + noob tubes; overly accurate shotuns; marathon + lightweight + tac-knife, thermal scopes, painkiller, to name but a few)

Now fair enough they CAN be useful, but when i see a guy spend the entire game knifing people and running over my claymores unscathed it makes me sad inside and i feel the series has lost a little something.

Also, it doesn't help that infinity ward seemed to ignore it's fanbase after the
game's launch: The number of balance issues with MW2 which didn't get fixed are staggering (yes im looking at you UMP with your silencer which raises accuracy but glitchily doesn't lower bullet dammage).

It's like they took our money and then abandoned us to a harsh landscape of the prickish and the unskilled looking to pray on people behind cover with thier infinite noob tubes or camp us out from behind a corner with their heartbeat sensors.

Also, the fact that throughout the game's life nothing has been done about any of the hackers: 10th prestige lobbies have been running freely sice day 1 and modded controllers are more common than ever (If i get killed again by a FAL firing like an LMG I may just scream...)
Surely...surely there must have been something you could have done by now if you could be arsed!

The game is a damn magnet for cheaters and fools looking for easy kills, and it's runing it for people who want to play the game skillfully.

For me, if Blackops doesn't get it right I may lose faith in these games forever.

Rant over :)