Is Cheerleading a sport?

CaptJohnSheridan

May 21, 2016
What do you think of cheerleading? Is it a sport or just an excuse for attractive females to wear short skirts? If you knew any of them did they fit the stereotype of snobby, slutty, and dumb?

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
What is a sport? Does Curling count? Boxing? Darts? Bullfighting? Sure, the athletic gymnastics involved in cheerleading are impressive, but is that enough? It also has an insanely high injury rate; is that? Any definition of "sport" is going to be at least partly arbitrary.

The one firm note I can make is that unlike most sports, cheerleading actually serves a functional purpose: distraction. Not in the sense that you're probably thinking, though: those repetitive, chanting slogans are solid thought-stoppers.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'd say it's more of a dance, you wouldn't call ballet a sport.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally, I think a requirement of a sport is that you should be able to read the rules and determine the winner objectively, without the need for a judge. The purpose of a judge/umpire/referee is to ensure that the rules are followed.

For example, as long as you can see who came first in a race, you can see who won. As long as you can count how many times a ball went this way or that, you can see who won a ball game.

This would disqualify most gymnastic events because they require a panel of judges.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
CaptJohnSheridan said:
What do you think of cheerleading? Is it a sport or just an excuse for attractive females to wear short skirts? If you knew any of them did they fit the stereotype of snobby, slutty, and dumb?

Cheerleading is more of a gymnastic hobby than a sport. That doesn't stop it being hard work and physically demanding, not an "excuse for" wearing short skirts (last time I checked anyone can wear a short skirt for literally any reason).

And yes, I've known a cheerleader. She was a fucking sweetheart. Because we don't all live in Stereotopia, where everyone acts like they're in a shitty high school movie.

Also "females".

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
It is absolutely, by definition, without question, indeed a sport.

The definition of Sport according to the oxford dictionary

Sport

- An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

team sports such as soccer and rugby
Halftime shows and idle cheerleading during football and other sporting events, doesn't have much "competition factor" for the cheerleaders. But cheerleading also involves competitive tournaments between the cheerleading teams themselves. Similar to competitive dancing, which is also a sport.

As for what I think about cheerleading personally? It's impressive, but I don't have much interest in it. I also don't know any cheerleaders.

--

EDIT:

Thaluikhain said:
Personally, I think a requirement of a sport is that you should be able to read the rules and determine the winner objectively, without the need for a judge. The purpose of a judge/umpire/referee is to ensure that the rules are followed.

For example, as long as you can see who came first in a race, you can see who won. As long as you can count how many times a ball went this way or that, you can see who won a ball game.

This would disqualify most gymnastic events because they require a panel of judges.
This is good point though, clear objectivity in determining the winner or loser in order to be recognized as a sport. Giving points, i.e. choosing a winner in competitive cheerleading, easily seems like a subjective endeavor. But fuck me if I'm wrong, if I recall correctly they do have specific point values for specific stunts or tricks. Probably for the express purpose of keeping subjectivity and favouritism out of it.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I guess it's technically a sport in that it's a physically intensive and competitive practice, but I'm slot it more in line with gymnastics or dance than stuff like football. But yeah, if someone insisted it's a sport I wouldn't argue. It's certainly quite physically demanding.

As to why it exists - I'd say it's a combination of good old 1950s-style sexual voyeurism combined with a then-legitimate need for an athletic activity that teenage girls can compete in without being at a physical disadvantage. And it keeps going just out of momentum, even now that we can accept that ladies can do track-and-field just fine.

We don't do cheerleaders in Australia and I went to an all-boys high school, so I'm not terribly familiar with it. It all looks super weird from the outside, you understand. But you guys wear body armour to play rugby, so...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Seriously? How can you look at the choreographically fine-tuned, obviously physically strenuous activity of cheerleaders in action and say to yourself, "You know, I have my doubts about whether or not this is a sport"...?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TheLaughingMagician said:
Thaluikhain said:

So in combat sports if it comes down to a judges decision does it stop being a sport? But if someone wins by knockout or submission then it stays a sport? Like gymnastics there are objective metrics used but there is also some subjectivity which is how 3 boxing judges can all return different results to the same match.
I would argue so, yes. A bout should end either in submission, or some other clear victory. Of course, this is merely my personal opinion.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
If you think using teenage girls for sex appeal at high school football games is a sport, then yeah.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
For the purposes of state regulated school competition, yes, I think competitive cheerleading should be counted as a sport, and handled just like football or baseball or basketball or so on and so forth.

As to the technical, lingual aspect of it, probably not, as things with judges aren't typically called sports (Wrestling and fighting being the exception), but I personally don't really give too much of a shit about that bit.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I would say that competitive cheer leading counts as a sport. And those girls, the flyers, they get so many injuries from being tossed in the air. Anyway its really just gymnastics with a bit of dancing thrown in. And no one would doubt if gymnastics is a sport. Cheerleading just gets a bad rep when its only the sideshow to a game.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Solely for the fact that girls get hurt, sometimes severely, it should be considered a sport. The fact is that by not considering it a sport, it makes it that much more dangerous to the girls performing these stunts. More high school students are maimed in cheer-leading accidents than all other high sports combined (though, I don't know if concussions count in those numbers).

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Saltyk said:
Solely for the fact that girls get hurt, sometimes severely, it should be considered a sport. The fact is that by not considering it a sport, it makes it that much more dangerous to the girls performing these stunts. More high school students are maimed in cheer-leading accidents than all other high sports combined (though, I don't know if concussions count in those numbers).
I remember hearing that. But when a girl who is maybe 100 lbs is getting tossed in the air it shouldn't be a surprise. Its really sad that they don't have the same support despite the risks. By now we know that it comes with risk so to continue not to treat it as a sports team is ridiculous. Especially if the team competes in competitions. It is just a testament to how dedicated these girls are to keep on doing what they do with minimal support.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
I'll answer with a question:
Do you think that this is just an excuse for girls to wear short skirts (starts at 1:34)?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CaptJohnSheridan said:
What do you think of cheerleading? Is it a sport or just an excuse for attractive females to wear short skirts?
[i/]neeeeeaaarrrrgghhhh feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemaaalessssss[/i]

if bowing/shooting can be a sport then sure so can cheer leading, there's athleticism and all that

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
If Darts, Snooker, Golf and Gaming are considered "sports", then cheerleadering certainly should be considered a sport. You need to be physically fit to pull off those moves. If Bring It On (love that movie. Diss it and we're going to WAR!!) has taught us anything, its that the sport aint no joke, SON!! One false move and career is over.