Is Chell the new Samus?

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
gizmo2300 said:
Well Isn't it stated at the VERY BEGINNING of Portal 2 that Chell doesn't choose not to talk but actually can't because of Brain Damage making her jump instead? This isn't meant as an insult, I'm just considering the scenario that she would probably talk if she actually could. While with Samus it seems more of a "No nonsense" type of thing.
yeah. I never knew if they were joking about the brain damage thing, or if they were serious. They leave it very vague. I love it :)

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Cheesus333 said:
Spoiler tags pronto!

Soylent Bacon said:
Why does she have to be a "Samus"? Why can't she just be another mute, female protagonist? Just like Gordon Freeman isn't "the new Link," Chell isn't the new Samus.

Besides being strong,[footnote]Every protagonist is strong in the way you describe. Otherwise, they wouldn't be the protagonists.[/footnote]
Dammit, I had just successfully repressed "Other N" until you made me think of it again. The game I shall not name would beg to differ.

Soylent Bacon said:
Outside of the fiction, Chell doesn't share Samus' "It was a woman the whole time!" twist,
I kid you not, I have three friends who played through the entirety of Portal loved the game, and only found out in conversation after completion that the player character is a woman. I guess some pay attention better than others, but it was a complete surprise to them.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
VikingSteve said:
Oh I got your point, it's just a bad point. Samus doesn't do anything besides shoot, jump, and utilize the morph ball.

You can only gather that she can stand her own in a hostile environment. So can any soldier. It doesn't tell more than that, and you're trying to read into it too much. We know she's a bounty hunter... why? Fuck if I know.
Metroid Fusion actually told us a bit about Samus, and there was a reference to her upbringing at the end of Zero Mission. Why does everyone think Samus didn't have character before Other M when she quite clearly did?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Maybe in 10 years some studio other than Valve will snap up the rights to Portal and turn her into a sexed up tween.
Because a jumpsuit and tank-top is basically the same as a chainmail bikini.

Andsre

Dec 25, 2008
Cheesus333 said:
Chell:
Solves puzzles
Foster daughter of a lab technician
Only ever interacts with robots
Where did you get that from? It's been hinted that she is the daughter of one, yes, but I've never heard anything about her being in foster care.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
FallenTraveler said:
why did you call it Portal: Still Alive? It's called Portal, that's it.

Anyway, Chell is not samus, she has a puzzle solving gun that shoots holes, and she beat up a bunch of robots. Samus committed genocide about eight or nine times. Chell is not Samus, if she had a 20 year or so long legacy she might be on par, but it's not like her actions make her seem less feminine and any more badass than a puzzle solver to me.
Still alive in the Xbox live version

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Andsre said:
Cheesus333 said:
Chell:
Solves puzzles
Foster daughter of a lab technician
Only ever interacts with robots
Where did you get that from? It's been hinted that she is the daughter of one, yes, but I've never heard anything about her being in foster care.
I seem to remember reading it somewhere on her page on the Combine Overwiki [http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Chell], but I may be mistaken. The link's there, anyway, so I suppose we'll see.

She's definitely either the daughter or adopted daughter of one of the employees, though, as -

Her name is on one of the science projects in the 'Bring Your Daughter to Work Day' array

t3hmaniac

Mar 22, 2010
Both have an uncanny amount of determination which allows them both to do stuff that would otherwise be considered impossible (end of Portal 2 Boss Fight/Metroid Prime 3) but like people have pointed out, the difference between a Valve first person protagonist and a Nintendo silent protagonist is that the Valve guys don't get any say in the matter at all and it can be argued that both Gordan and Chell fight more for survival than anything. Mario and Samus both put themselves voluntarily into danger, Link does similar although the whole Destiny thing confuses matters.

alexxcodered

Feb 3, 2011
FallenTraveler said:
why did you call it Portal: Still Alive? It's called Portal, that's it.
its because he played it on xbox there was a version released on xbox live called portal still alive it came with extra challenge rooms and things for people who had finished portal and were willing to pay 1200 ms points in order to get portal but witha few more maps.
needless to say i got it

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
No. But Samus may be the new Chell, if next Metroid will be actually good.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
rancher of monsters said:
I haven't played Other M and don't intend to.
Don't. To be honest. I never played it, and the story doesn't sound too bad as far as I can tell, but even when not playing it, I can tell they got it wrong. To be honest even though they filled in Samus' blank story background, it's easily ignorable. This is Nintendo. The company that thought the Wii was actually the better of the seventh gen consoles. Nintendo is on a all time low, and most of us know it... To be honest, Chell hasn't been such a success character-wise, she has no back, or front-story. It's like she is just a tool to the portal franchise. GLaDOS is the main character of portal, and there's no denying it. Even as a potato, she still has the wit to be who she is. See, Chell has no story, because we don't need to know who she is. She's easily disposable, as shown by portal 2 (Which I will not spoil, and which is probably why you think she is the next Samus.), especially in co-op mode in which Atlas and P-body actually show more of a story than Chell. If any character(s) from Portal are 'Samuses', it's Atlas and P-body. Mainly though, they will NEVER match up. Samus went for a good 7+ games without a backstory, THAT is what made Samus 'Samusey'; until she had a voice that is. The thing with Samus. Is they took away the thing that made Samus her. Nintendo messed up BIG style on this. In Metroid other M, she might as well be a different person... To be honest it would have been good to give her no personality but a story told through the other characters. In a "Master chief, but more descrete, which is also a chick, and less faggoty" way.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I'm not going to say that that logic is sexist, but I can't help but think this question is inspired by the fact that they're both female.

They do have some striking similarities to their backrounds and locales. They're both orphans, they're both equipped with cutting edge technology, they're both experienced in taking orders from and terminating advanced AI systems, and they're both independent and, for the most part, isolated from humanity. But their character's- I don't think you really have enough to go on for either one of them. We know especially little about Chell.