Is Diablo 3 the worst game ever in terms of price vs. quality?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Sounds like it very well might be one of the worst games ever. For the OP.

As my connection is not riddled with gremlins and chipmunks, I've enjoyed it just fine. It's not exactly a groundbreaking, genre-shattering masterpiece, but it's been lots of fun. Inferno notwithstanding.

Arguing it's objectively one of the worst games of all time from a value/quality perspective with some of the contestants out there is just hilariously OTT though. It wouldn't even make a worst thousand list.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
BreakdownBoy said:
black_knight1337 said:
Nowhere near the worst game in terms of price vs quality. I'd put it way up the other end of that scale. I've never had any of the server issues that people seem to be having. I've connected to all three of the servers using my terrible net of 7-10Kb/s and I've had a good connection on all of them. So idk what the issue is with that.
You must either be lying or have terrible standards, because there is no way you could connect to three different servers that are half a world apart whith a 7-10kb/s connection and have no lag.

I live in South Africa, have to connect with European servers (10 000km away), with Star Craft 2 no problem, but with D3 it is a nightmare. The game is flawed, the client is flawed, the whole idea of always online SP is BS.

Even Eve online is not a problem and their server is in bloody Scandanavia!
Your claim contradicts mine, therefore you are wretched, lying villain!

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Do try Asian or US servers. I live in Europe but I have found that the latency on US servers are pretty much the same as the european ones, but the US ones seem more stable with less hiccups.

Games have different sensitivities to latency though, I think D3 performs fine at 200-300 ms, but 1000 would probably feel choppy. In a shooter I wouldn't want anything above 100ms, on the other end of the spectrum I imagine SC2 and EvE online could be perfectly playable with 1000ms latency.

On the subjective level I wouldn't call D3 the worst game ever, but it's hardly a masterwork either. :)

Grant Stackhouse

Dec 31, 2011
Diablo 3 was the first game in the Diablo series that I ever played, and I really liked it. Admittedly, the lag was noticeable whenever my ping went above 500ms. Thankfully, I only really had a lot of lag on the first two weekends after release.

Back on Topic: In recent memory, I'd say Battleship had a very poor price vs. quality ratio. However, I also agree with nikki191's comment about the ME3 Collectors Edition. The Prothean DLC was really the only worthwhile thing that they packed in there. Everything else, most notably the art book, was just a sampler for a larger product that they were trying to sell separately.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
BreakdownBoy said:
I loved Diablo 2 (never played Diablo the original), I can remember my first experience with D2 the night before my final exam in my senior year at high school. I had studied all I needed to and then someone brought their PC to the hostel and I somehow got the opportunity to play D2 on their machine. I ended up playing the game I think all the way through to morning. I loved it, eventually got it for myself and played it years later in varsity many years after release.

You can imagine to my horror, after paying $63 (R530, South African Rands), when I discovered the incredibly poor server connection and service from Blizzard that causes a game that I would play just to have fun become such a chore! I have now kind of stopped playing Diablo 3 after only reaching level 18 with my Wizard.

The gameplay would be much better if I did not have a average latency of about 1 second at best (me slaying on or two monsters) or 4-9 seconds latency when I am slaying 7 or more monsters.

It is not my internet connection; playing Starcaft 2 at 4x4 does not create any lag like this. It's like the game starts of being behind?

For me this makes the game not worth the money and if I were Korean I would love to give my copy back to get a refund, worst buyer?s remorse in my life.

What do you think?
For me, undoubtedly the worst price - quality ratio is Star Wars Force Unleashed 2.

Embarrasingly short, the two main draw cards being glorified cameos and depressing final battle? Yeah D3 had its problems and like BLizzard does so well, they underestimate the popularity of their own games.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I haven't even played the damn game, and I can tell you that no, it's not the worst price/quality deal ever. It's stupid to argue it is.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Halo 3 personally, played the shit out of 1 and 2, clocked up 2 hours in the third and traded it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I like how everyone has forgotten about that $150 Duke Nukem Forever collectors edition.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
poiumty said:
"I personally have lag, therefore the game is poor quality for EVERYONE ELSE TOO."

Way to speak for the entire world there, Miranda. Service problems will be fixed in time.

kingthrall said:
Oh and just as salt on wounds there is no strategy in skills/spells/runes whatever. They are all the same, and tactics are down that creek no one swims in because they have removed all the diablo 2 imprisonments such as *immune to cold* for example so you can not adjust your spells in the midst of battle.
Must be why I'm forced to pick specific skill builds and use different skills to react to different situations on Inferno. Because there's no strategy to skills.

Personally, 90% of my problems were some connection issues in the evening, with the other 10% being lag spikes here and there, say once or twice a day. I can live with that.
what are you on about? There is no double sets anymore you can not push W for the second set of different weapons like diablo 2.

Secondly you can not hot key your skill/spell slot to change them as you did beforehand using F1, F2 ect. So you have to push S in the middle of combat with a very large screen popping up and scroll through just to change for specific enemies under combat and then wait for the cool down after you changed it? Makes no sense what so ever.

mmaruda

Apr 8, 2008
Just my 2 cents. I was inclined to come to terms with the crap DRM, title screen boss number 37, single player lag and other things as I had a lot of fun with my friends in the game, but today I just snapped.

I logged in to Battle.net only to find my character stripped clean of all the priceless items I had. I checked the B.net forums, many people have this issue. I don't think I have been hacked, as I protect all my accounts and passwords for games. So either B.net was hacked or it's a stupid bug. Anyway, I blame the idiotic DRM. It's hard to even imagine the outrage of people when the real money auction house gets going and things like this happen.

Not to mention the game itself is nothing spectacular. Just the same old Diablo, a bit polished and more user friendly.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The video game for the movie "Battleship" was released at full retail price of $60... THAT is the worst game ever in terms of price v quality, hell, probably one of the worst in quality (Didn't buy it, look up any reviews for it though)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
$63? Ouch? Over hree in the UK I paid £32 which is abit cheap for a PC game and so far the game seen to fit for that price. Sure other than the Error 35 or 37 I only had lag and rubberband a little so far but it is no where near annoying.

My only grind with it is not being able to saved right on the map other than checkpoints and even then I'm not care free enough to simple saved on the map and log out as it will reset when I log back in leaving my mind riddle on the "what if" scenerio (certain dungeons spawn on a map at a time so I could had missed it out when logging out). So I have to play the game in long session and it doesn't help that the map can be huge or have several dungeons (which are also big) within it.

pointless vandalism

Mar 27, 2012
Open a ticket on Battle.net and ask for a refund. I just got my dosh returned. Woot. It took me 2 submissions so if they reject your first try, hit "Reopen ticket". I am SO happy they refunded me.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Seems the Newspaper Headline rule also applies here...

If a headline is asking a question, instead of stating a fact, then the answer will nearly always be 'no'.

'Are Muslims taking over ground zero?'
'Are immigrants taking all british jobs?'
'Is Diablo 3 the worst game EVAR?'

To me it's just an underhanded way to implant an idea in people's heads with the loophole of, being a question, not having to actually back it up.

To answer it however, maybe it is for the OP, in which case he or she doesn't play many games.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the time I've had playing it, both solo and multiplayer, and I was playing at 1am on launch night.

Putting aside DRM, always on connections etc, as we're asking if the GAME is awful, I'd have to say... no.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
poiumty said:
kingthrall said:
poiumty said:
"I personally have lag, therefore the game is poor quality for EVERYONE ELSE TOO."

Way to speak for the entire world there, Miranda. Service problems will be fixed in time.

kingthrall said:
Oh and just as salt on wounds there is no strategy in skills/spells/runes whatever. They are all the same, and tactics are down that creek no one swims in because they have removed all the diablo 2 imprisonments such as *immune to cold* for example so you can not adjust your spells in the midst of battle.
Must be why I'm forced to pick specific skill builds and use different skills to react to different situations on Inferno. Because there's no strategy to skills.

Personally, 90% of my problems were some connection issues in the evening, with the other 10% being lag spikes here and there, say once or twice a day. I can live with that.
what are you on about? There is no double sets anymore you can not push W for the second set of different weapons like diablo 2.

Secondly you can not hot key your skill/spell slot to change them as you did beforehand using F1, F2 ect. So you have to push S in the middle of combat with a very large screen popping up and scroll through just to change for specific enemies under combat and then wait for the cool down after you changed it? Makes no sense what so ever.
I guess you misesd the part where there's 4 more skills you can use now apart from left + right click without needing to switch between them.

And there's no double weapon slots because you don't really need them anymore. Not like they were incredibly tactical or needed in D2 either.
LOL 4 different skill slots dont make it any more impressive.

Everyone who has played diablo 3 knows that even with the switching option on, that you still use one from every skill category anyway. Its just not viable to switch for example from frost ray instead of another skill to fill in crucial slots. If they wanted to make it better they would of let you have a whole hot-key arrangement on every spell/skill so that tactics and resistances would play a much higher role.

Oh and if you didnt notice all the classes have pretty much the same skills. Barbarian has Ground shake instead of Frost Nova for example.

sobaka770

Jun 20, 2008
Well I have a lot of fun with the game. It's awesome and the quality is awesome.
If you can't wait for a week for the servers to get fixed and enjoy the game, then it's your problem. As I've spent more than a 100 hours in, I can't possible consider it a bad price/quality investment.
Also people who said ME3 is the worst, ye right, you played a 50 hour campaign and the last 10 minutes is all you care about. Grow up and be at least partially subjective. Posts like this just reinforce the negative and childish perception of gamers. No Diablo 3 is not perfect. No it's not even remotely the worst.