Is Earthbound worth it?

VariaTuxedo

Sep 8, 2011
Recently I purchased a SNES and have been looking for games to play on it, one game that always comes up is Earthbound. I want to play it but I don't want to pay $100+ to do that. So is It really worth that hefty price? Is it really as good as I hear it is or are the people touting it as the greatest snes game of all time just blinded by nostalgia?

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
Well, it's regarded as one of the best RPGs on the SNES and the 1990's. So if you like that sort of gameplay enough, sure it's worth it.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Yes. Very much so.
Why is it $100? Surely, you have a vintage game stop or something that'd let it go for 10 bucks or so.

It also has one of the funniest anti-piracy counter measures I've ever seen.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
you probably won't find a copy under $100, I went through a phase of collecting classic SNES games and I've never seen a copy of earthbound go for less than a couple hundred.

the Game is awesome, easily one of the best SNES games and one of the weirdest games you'll ever play. Earthbound developed a cult following and that is why the game will sell for so much.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Playing it as a child was one of the most 'unique' experiences I have had playing a video game. I don't really know if it would have the same feel being older.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It's not worth the collector's price, no. Worth playing? Certainly. But not worth shelling out a hundred bucks or more for.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
I forgot to ask, is Earthbound considered abandon ware yet and are there any legal ways to obtain a copy without paying that insane price for it?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
mikey7339 said:
I forgot to ask, is Earthbound considered abandon ware yet and are there any legal ways to obtain a copy without paying that insane price for it?
I don't think "abandonware" is an actual legal term, at least not as far as copywright law is concerned. But...I won't judge you if you seek alternative methods in cases like this.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
As a collector and fan, it is completely worth it if the cart is in good condition. If you just want to play the game however, you can probably find one on Amazon or Ebay for a decent price.

In either case, pick it up. If you absolutely don't like it or don't think it is worth it, just sell it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh.. I realize it's such a huge fan favourite, but I thought it was actually one of the worst RPGs I had played on the system (and I played it near release and not after having been tainted by any "it's a classic!!!" talk). The graphic design was charming in places, but the gameplay was nothing new or interesting and the supposed humour just wasn't anywhere near funny.

I'd say it's probably worth trying simply because there are so many people who do like it and it might hit you the way it does them, but it's in no way shape or form worth that kind of money.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
It's not worth the collector's price, no. Worth playing? Certainly. But not worth shelling out a hundred bucks or more for.
I've seen unopened copies of Chrono Trigger go for upwards of a grand. I can only imagine what Earthbound woud fetch in similar condition.

Why the hell isn't this on virtual console?!

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
As a massive fan of Earthbound, no, no, no no no no no.

The game is not worth $100. Over the years it's been artificially inflated by eBay retailers to the point where they're pretty damn overpriced. Just about a year ago you could find them for $60-$80, recently loose carts have begun regularly breaching the $100 barrier.

If you really, REALLY want a cart, I'd say buy one online as cheaply and as soon as possible, before prices get much higher. A much more sensible course of action would be to scour your local retro game shops, car boot sales, thrift stores, flea markets etc. and just hope to get lucky - you'll find a lot of 'miracle' stories out there. Compared to other truly rare games Earthbound carts are in abundance.

Same thing is happening is Mother 3 carts as well. Observe thine graph created this July:

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It's worth playing but definately not worth having to pay so much...

It's like conker's bad fur day, I would definately not want to pay so much money for that!

If you have a wii, you should be able to get it on the wii virtual console I think, and obviously that's A LOT cheaper. There must be either cheaper games or a cheaper way to get the game.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Optimus Hagrid said:
As a massive fan of Earthbound, no, no, no no no no no.

The game is not worth $100. Over the years it's been artificially inflated by eBay retailers to the point where they're pretty damn overpriced. Just about a year ago you could find them for $60-$80, recently loose carts have begun regularly breaching the $100 barrier.

If you really, REALLY want a cart, I'd say buy one online as cheaply and as soon as possible, before prices get much higher. A much more sensible course of action would be to scour your local retro game shops, car boot sales, thrift stores, flea markets etc. and just hope to get lucky - you'll find a lot of 'miracle' stories out there. Compared to other truly rare games Earthbound carts are in abundance.

Same thing is happening is Mother 3 carts as well. Observe thine graph created this July:

Yeah, but in Europe we would have to buy a US Snes, a voltage converter, a NTSC picture converter (for a PAL television), and the game, because it wasn't released in Europe.

So unless it comes on virtual console in the near future (which is highly doubtful), for most people in Europe, it's either emulation, or bust.

Captain Hat

Aug 1, 2011
I....bought it for $120. But I`ve played through it 4 times now and I gotta say, I love it every time I let loose. It swallows 2 days out of my life when I decide to indulge.

However, when I first played the game I did it on an emulator to see if it was something I`d find worth purchasing. So after all the hub-bub from the above posts, it is very unfairly priced but I enjoy finding odd retro gems. Super Metroid, Lufia, Breath of Fire series... to me they`re worth while.

But if you`re wondering whether or not Earthbound is for you, try it on an emulator first and play for the first half hour. If it grips you, then good luck hunting online!

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Yeah, but in Europe we would have to buy a US Snes, a voltage converter, a NTSC picture converter (for a PAL television), and the game, because it wasn't released in Europe.

So unless it comes on virtual console in the near future (which is highly doubtful), for most people in Europe, it's either emulation, or bust.
Well I managed it just find with a Universal Converter, but I see where you're coming from. Also, customs charge you an extra £20 if you buy an item over around £50 online from the USA.