Is expressing an honest opinion offensive ?

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Is it ?

Is saying something controversial wrong ? Is having the will to speak out and give a different point of view wrong ? I meet a lot of people who get offended when ever someone expresses an opinion that contradicts their point of view or beliefs and I just wish to know what the average person thinks.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Of course. If a member of the KKK spouts a load of racist nonsense, it's still offensive, even if he's being completely honest and that is what he really thinks.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
This is a little vague. I mean, sure, saying that you disagree with a popular conception rather than going with the flow is, in theory, quite an honorable idea, but if your opinion is along the lines of "Let's kill all the (insert racial group here) people!" then, yes, some people might take offence to that. Just play it by ear, think about whether or not people might get offended by what you have to say, and decide whether the opinion you're giving is really worth the grief you'll get in return. Honesty is good, but try not to confuse being outspoken with just being plain rude.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
It is if your opinion is something ridiculous or loathsome.

So what opinion brought about this thread?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
No it's not. However, over half of the time when someone starts wondering this, they are expressing there opinion AND being a jerk. It's not hard to express an honest opinion and also give some consideration to a fellow human beings feelings, and express that opinion with an appropriate amount of tact. Doing so will lead to better, more meaningful conversations anyways.

Also, when would someone strongly express a DISHONEST opinion? Something they don't believe? The fact that you believe something means absolutely nothing.

Motoko_Urashima

Apr 8, 2011
No, not really, but.... er.... I really don't know. saying the USA should stop crying over the spilled milk of 9/11 is one thing, as is saying the Nazis had nice technology and cool uniforms, but there was a thread on /b/ last night that was essentially asking "at what point should I stop giving my eleven year old lover creampies?" and I went fucking O_O and will probably never return there. You'll also get people that honestly think the holocaust was a good idea etc.

I'm a dude, and I like it in the butt, that is an honest opinion that half the country hates: deal with it.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Damn you've been on the internet how long? Yeah if I go up to a girl and call her fat I think that might get her mad.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Is it ?

Is saying something controversial wrong ? Is having the will to speak out and give a different point of view wrong ? I meet a lot of people who get offended when ever someone expresses an opinion that contradicts their point of view or beliefs and I just wish to know what the average person thinks.
Just having a controversial opinion does not mean you "had the will to speak out". I could easily cultivate a controversial opinion from nothing more noble or earth-shattering than plain old ignorance.

So...is saying something controversial wrong? No. Is thinking you're a hero for saying something controversial silly? Yes.

AlloAllo

Sep 16, 2011
It depends on how you express it.

But let's be honest here, people will always be offended by something, however tactfully you say it. I mean, how dare you disagree/not care/agree with me?! That is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

So, uh, I guess that the real answer is that it doesn't matter. Yay!

suxturdman

Jun 19, 2011
sadly today it kinda is, although personally i always love speaking my mind thus hopefully starting a nice debate.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
This is extremely vague
Redingold said:
Of course. If a member of the KKK spouts a load of racist nonsense, it's still offensive, even if he's being completely honest and that is what he really thinks.
Yeah, this. Really, I have no idea what you are trying to get across here.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
I have a better question. Was this thread motivated by a recent situation where the op stated his opinion and someone got angry at him for it?

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Been honest isnt wrong, but people are often evil sods with a twisted view of the world...
Mind you if we said honest isnt always right, then ur just encouraging every liar ever to sprout as much trash as they like :S

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Saying your honest opinion isnt offensive or bad if its what you believe...............the reactions from people who are offended (as I've experienced many times on these forums before) are often parrot chokingly annoying.

iamwill2

Feb 4, 2011
It really matters what the opinion is, I could honestly believe that your dumbass and you would have every right to be offended and angry about that if I said that to your face, but if I think that you are wrong on some issue you have no reason to get offended.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, you can have an offensive opinion. It's entirely possible. Just because it's an honest opinion doesn't mean you're some kind of moral hero for saying it, it just means you've got shitty manners. It's apparently an alien concept to many that not everyone wants to know about whatever pile of shit your brain has defecated out, especially if your opinion is based on misinformation and ignorance. That's not to say you should pander to people and be some kind of (equally) pathetic yes-man, but be appropriate. For example, if your opinion is 'black people are the scum of the earth', at least don't express it when there are black people in the room. That would be incredibly stupid.

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
If someone expresses an opinion that's held by pretty much nobody civilized, intelligent, and knowledgeable, I'm offended at our species as a whole for producing a person so misguided.

If someone expresses an opinion in an arrogant way and/or tries to push it on people, I'm offended at them for being a jerk.

If someone expresses an opinion that's actually subjective, in a respectful manner, I'm not offended.

Note that most cases in the second category are also in the first category. In these cases, I'm offended at both the individual and the species.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Honesty in itself isn't offensive, but it depends completely on what opinion you're expressing. And that it takes courage to express an impopular opinion doesn't mean that said opinion becomes any more intelligent.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Someone, somewhere will always find your opinion offensive. No matter what you say or how you say it, there is always a chance someone will find it offensive.