Is Formula 1 racing a redneck sport in Europe?

deadxero

Sep 2, 2010
Blame said:
Formula 1 is considered, (by me anyway,) to be the elite of motorsport. Not in excitement, but definatly in skill and technical achievement. I don't think the oval-ringed precession of NASCAR can compare, (except those brief, glorious, explosive, horrific crashes that appear to happen only once every 5 races.)
First of all, not really a NASCAR fan here.

That said, it's difficult to even compare NASCAR with F1. NASCAR is about, attempting, to keep the cars in a bunch and let the drivers fight it out for the win. F1 is about striving for the best performance man/machine can achieve. It's like comparing a backyard brawl with a kung-fu master demonstrating a classic form. Both are interesting to watch, but for comepletely different reasons.

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
k-ossuburb said:
Souplex said:
The closest thing in Europe to rednecks are people who live in slightly smaller castles than the average European.
Haha! Here, here! I for one am constantly having to call the Council out to take care of my dragon infestation. Those bloody things get everywhere and I can't do anything about it because they're an "endangered species", I miss the days when we could kill them for sport. Wot, wot.
I knew it. I'm coming to the old country now and bringing my sword. GRENDEL MUST DIE!

Kirky

Oct 30, 2008
As has been said, F1 is generally considered to be quite a high class sport over here in the UK; the people who like it are more likely to debate whichever approach to car-engineering they find more interesting than the actual races themselves (though there are exceptions, obviously). Personally, I find it a little dull; my tastes gravitate more towards Rally and the BTCC.

I honestly couldn't say anything about what the rest of Europe thinks about the sport; we all speak different bloody languages, and have vastly different cultures. It's a continent, not a country; the majority of us Brits probably know more about the U.S. than we do about Spain.

Jan 23, 2009
F1 from what I understand is the complete opposite - attracting multi-millionaires, and the like to monte carlo.

F1 is high-end racing.

Blackality

Oct 18, 2009
I confirm that over here is also considered a snob sport.

And most of the discussions in the forums on my language about F1 are most likely to be about the engineering of the cars and not about the races.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
dt61 said:
I know that in the Die Prinzen song "Mein Fahrrad" he says something about rednecks drive Fords, or something of that nature. Well that's a German band, but a lot of people in Germany use public transportation from what I hear.
Now that's an interesting one!
This song is not meant to be taken serious. Fahrrad means bicycle. The singer tells the story of a happy couple (himself an his bike) and that he loves his bike more than his wife (I'll hold fidelity to my bike, not to my wife) (blablabla...) - this song is not meant to be taken serious, as the hole band (an a-capella-band). This songtext says, that ALL types of car-drivers are idiots.

And we do indeed have rednecks - although we call them "assis" (smooth S) coming from asocial. We kinda have extremely "popular" stereotypes, but in general they just fit.

To public transportation: I do have the feeling that "we" do not use a lot of public transportation.
On the one hand, our railroads are crappy (expensive as F*ck - 45 mins (about 30 miles) about 8$), never on time, and just ugly and disgusting trains.

If you want to relate being a redneck to sports - take those guys who get wasted on soccer(we call it football)-games.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Roggen Bread said:
dt61 said:
I know that in the Die Prinzen song "Mein Fahrrad" he says something about rednecks drive Fords, or something of that nature. Well that's a German band, but a lot of people in Germany use public transportation from what I hear.
Now that's an interesting one!
This song is not meant to be taken serious. Fahrrad means bicycle. The singer tells the story of a happy couple (himself an his bike) and that he loves his bike more than his wife (I'll hold fidelity to my bike, not to my wife) (blablabla...) - this song is not meant to be taken serious, as the hole band (an a-capella-band). This songtext says, that ALL types of car-drivers are idiots.

And we do indeed have rednecks - although we call them "assis" (smooth S) coming from asocial. We kinda have extremely "popular" stereotypes, but in general they just fit.

To public transportation: I do have the feeling that "we" do not use a lot of public transportation.
On the one hand, our railroads are crappy (expensive as F*ck - 45 mins (about 30 miles) about 8$), never on time, and just ugly and disgusting trains.

If you want to relate being a redneck to sports - take those guys who get wasted on soccer(we call it football)-games.
I remember having to listen to that song in German class and having to fill in some lyrics. I remember something about him getting drunk and hating the color brown. My German teacher was a crazy environmentalist even though he drove an SUV and never opened the windows in his room.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Kinguendo said:
Sober Thal said:
Does Europe have rednecks, or are they called something else? I don't mean people who are called imbeciles and what-not. Perhaps some term that isn't used in the States?
What? How would we know? I live in Britain, I dont know what the French call things. Europe is a continent, not a country.
What? Did you misread my post, or perhaps quote the wrong guy?
No, I am neither misquoting nor misreading. You are comparing a continent to a country.

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
Kinguendo said:
Sober Thal said:
Kinguendo said:
Sober Thal said:
Does Europe have rednecks, or are they called something else? I don't mean people who are called imbeciles and what-not. Perhaps some term that isn't used in the States?
What? How would we know? I live in Britain, I dont know what the French call things. Europe is a continent, not a country.
What? Did you misread my post, or perhaps quote the wrong guy?
No, I am neither misquoting nor misreading. You are comparing a continent to a country.
Since I'm here. While Europe is more diverse than the US, it isn't That much more diverse. Europeans don't appreciate the difference between the east coast, the west coast, the mountain states, the great lake states, the southern states, and Hawaii and Alaska. We're really quite diverse. Not to mention the southwest that is mostly Mexican at this point anyway.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
For my money, LeMans and the American LeMans series (Especially the GT classes) offer much better racing compared to F1 and NASCAR.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
theevilsanta said:
Since I'm here. While Europe is more diverse than the US, it isn't That much more diverse. Europeans don't appreciate the difference between the east coast, the west coast, the mountain states, the great lake states, the southern states, and Hawaii and Alaska. We're really quite diverse. Not to mention the southwest that is mostly Mexican at this point anyway.
Since youre here... you decided to say something wrong? Thats a peculiar thing to do just because you are around.

Saying Europe is a continent is by no way and indication that you needed to say any of what you said and the only person who doesnt appreciate diversity here is you. Europe isnt much more diverse than America? Could you put 2 Americans from anywhere in America into a room together and have them communicate? Yeah, thats what I thought. Kinda a different story with the rather large continent known as Europe where everyone doesnt speak English.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Let me rephrase then, does the westernmost peninsula of Eurasia have a term like the one used in the northern America half?

I'm not comparing anything, it's just a question.

We all know Great Britain (or as some people call it Britannia) is ruled by Lord British and depends on the Avatar (embodiment of the virtues/small kid with wind powers/blue skinned alien hippies) every so often to defeat Mondain, Minax, and their spawn, Exodus. So believe me, I know Europe isn't a country.

Sorry to confuse you.

I just wanted to know if people on the other side of the pond had a word for rednecks.
So you mean the United Kingdom? Why didnt you just say that?

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
no im from europe and its quite classy(compared to nascar) in some ways because from what ive seen is just crashes and rednecks shouting but the real redneck sport in england is rugby

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Musiclly enhanced said:
no im from europe and its quite classy(compared to nascar) in some ways because from what ive seen is just crashes and rednecks shouting but the real redneck sport in england is rugby
I wouldn't say that rugby was a 'redneck' sport at all. I'm not sure in what context it could be deemed as one as in my experience both its players and spectators don't generally fall into that category or its possible British counterpart (chav).
If of cause you are referring specifically to rugby league and ignoring rugby union then I am more inclined to agree, however I am not sure that the term 'redneck' can truly be used to describe anything or anyone from Britain, it being a term not really relevant to Britain.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
Zetona said:
At least NASCAR lets drivers pass each other. (I watch both series religiously.)
Is that a subtle poke at the Schumacher-Alonso incident at Monaco this year or just an outright comment on Monaco and Singapore every year?
It's less that than the fact that for all the incredible drama this season has provided, I don't think we've seen a lead change that did not involve pit stops or the leader having trouble since Turkey.

Singapore this year though was fantastic, but I remember most of the passes being Kubica's after he got fresh tires.

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
Sigh.

Allow this mildly annoyed hillbilly to enlighten you pitiful euros/city folk.

Redneck =/= Chav/Bogan/Pikey/Whateverthefucktermyouuseinyourcountry.

White Trash = Chav/Bogan/Pikey/Whateverthefucktermyouuseinyourcountry.

Christ almighty, just because the people in cities use it as a derogatory term doesn't mean it actually is. I know people who fall under the term Redneck who are engineers for shits sake.

NASCAR is seen as a redneck sport because it's originally from the south and was started by a bunch of moonshiners. NOT because of the assholes who watch it, as it's popular all over the country, and I'm fairly certain it gets decent ratings in Mexico and Canada as well.

However, to make it more interesting, invert the nothing but ovals w/ 2 or three road courses a year scenario and you'd have a very interesting and competitive racing series.

Onto F1, I try to catch the races when they actually air them in America, just like I do any of the other racing series that don't get much airtime here (That includes Rally, GT and Endurance racing), however it isn't that different from NASCAR.

PwnSt0nes

Jan 10, 2010
F1 is like the highest class of racing.

the rich people sport. $30k brakes. and like almost everything in racing its replaced after every race.